Gibson Brands Forums

Why the stark price difference between a new Flying V and a used 70's era V?

geezer1

I used to own a 1979 Silverburst V. I bought it brand new for approx. $400 - $500 and a trade in RD (1977). I Recently started playing again and I am looking to buy another V.  I'd love to have a used 79 Silverburst like my old one , but the used ones like that for sale online are at least $5000. Yet, I see brand new V's for sale for as little as $1500 - $2500 on the Gibson website. Why the big difference?

Thanks for the feedback. I was worried that it was because the newer ones have shoddy workmanship. I just ordered a Gibson '70s Flying V Mirror Limited-Edition Electric Guitar Ebony. It is scheduled to get here Monday. I'm pretty excited. I really miss my old one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vintage didn't used to be a thing. Now it is and anything old commands a high price. If its a popular model, its will be even more. If its a ltd run... yep - you get the idea. 

I enjoy finding less known (and less popular) models not yet old enough to be vintage. 

On 2/29/2024 at 9:51 PM, PrairieDog said:

Well? You get it yet? Don’t leave us hanging! 😄

Hey ya'll! Yeah I got it! I been so busy playing with my " new toy" I haven't been online at all until right now! lol OK, here's the low down. The playability is just like I remembered. So smooth it practically plays itself.  Sounds great, feels great in my hands. Two things, it is slightly heavier than my '79 Silver burst, (or feels that way because I'm old now), and I have been spoiled by the 8-gauge Ernie Ball strings I've been using. I'm not sure if there are 9s or 10s on it. My old arthritic hands are having a little trouble bending them. They feel like 10s, but it may just be the EB extra slinky 8 - 38 ga. are much easier to play. I'm also looking into a complete setup by a pro. ( lower action, fret filing etc).  It isn't definite, but I'm weighing my options. On a 1 - 10 scale overall, I give it a 9.5. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:40 PM, geezer1 said:

Hey ya'll! Yeah I got it! I been so busy playing with my " new toy" I haven't been online at all until right now! lol OK, here's the low down. The playability is just like I remembered. So smooth it practically plays itself.  Sounds great, feels great in my hands. Two things, it is slightly heavier than my '79 Silver burst, (or feels that way because I'm old now), and I have been spoiled by the 8-gauge Ernie Ball strings I've been using. I'm not sure if there are 9s or 10s on it. My old arthritic hands are having a little trouble bending them. They feel like 10s, but it may just be the EB extra slinky 8 - 38 ga. are much easier to play. I'm also looking into a complete setup by a pro. ( lower action, fret filing etc).  It isn't definite, but I'm weighing my options. On a 1 - 10 scale overall, I give it a 9.5. 

I think they're 10-46.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:10 AM, Pinch said:

I think they're 10-46.

Thanks, I believe you are correct. I was talking to a friend who has been a luthier for 30 years who said the same thing. I remember using Fender super bullets over back in the day that I believe were 9s. They felt easy to bend to my young fingers. lol  Nowadays, it's EB 8s for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 12:31 PM, merciful-evans said:

Vintage didn't used to be a thing. Now it is and anything old commands a high price. If its a popular model, its will be even more. If its a ltd run... yep - you get the idea. 

I enjoy finding less known (and less popular) models not yet old enough to be vintage. 

What do you think of today's Marshall tube amps compared to the 60s - 70s era Marshalls? Do they sound much different?

1 hour ago, geezer1 said:

What do you think of today's Marshall tube amps compared to the 60s - 70s era Marshalls? Do they sound much different?

Never owned a Marshall old nor new. Only ever briefly used a couple. I honestly could not call it. 

• Like 1