Gibson Brands Forums

Of all the Gibsons you've owned...

vacamartin

48 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Never sold a guitar that appealed so much to me it seemed like a keeper, so no regrets.

Hard to pick a spezial No 1. But my 1980 Gibson-re-topped, 2012 re-necked now long-scale 1966 Country Western is irreplaceable. There's simply nothing or no one  like it on earth.  

The Harrison Les Paul is unique. Was originally a goldtop with PAF pups. It was refinished by Gibson in approx 1966, SG style.  

I plus band too was booked to play for H.A. many many years ago - by the director of a film about them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  A week before the premiere they gunned down a man or 2 and I thereafter withdrew. A move also never regretted.

It was also owned by Clapton, Derringer and John Sebastian.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Nah, yours is hard too.  The sting of losing something one cares about is the same, no matter the circumstances. I have a lot of horror stories, I don’t share them often, but when I do, I try to make clear grief/pain is not a competition, it is all just a shared path.  

Nice to have those pianos, I hope your son comes to cherishes them both.  Like guitars, no two are really the same. 

Yes, you’re right…..instruments are very personal, and have value beyond what they sell for.  
I'm more concerned with the relationship damage between you and your father.   

Edited by DanvillRob

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

There are data bases for determining the age of pianos based on the serial number....that's how I found out my of Carl Ronisch was made in 1871.

I have an old book on pianos that has serial numbers and such. If anyone wants me to look something up, feel free.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Never sold a guitar that appealed so much to me it seemed like a keeper, so no regrets.

Hard to pick a spezial No 1. But my 1980 Gibson-re-topped, 2012 re-necked now long-scale 1966 Country Western is irreplaceable. There's simply nothing or no one  like it on earth.  

The Harrison Les Paul is unique. Was originally a goldtop with PAF pups. It was refinished by Gibson in approx 1966, SG style.  

I plus band too was booked to play for H.A. many many years ago - by the director of a film about them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  A week before the premiere they gunned down a man or 2 and I thereafter withdrew. A move also never regretted.

I must have hoped they gunned me down as I arrived - so so so nervous every time - save having to go on stage - booom....

Yep, it can go real wrong, but generally the bands are very well looked after....or no bands would go anymore.....

I played the same festival 3 times - first 2 times on a Saturday - once late afternoon as the sun went down - the place was jumping Saturday!!!!! Next time, different band, everything was late and we waited until around 4AM...useless.....strange. Next time in another band was Sunday afternoon...and it is a little bit hard to get the audience attention by then....😬😁🤩

TnzqMa3.jpg

BluesKing777.

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Giggled it:

Wiki George Harrison 's Lucy Gibson story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(guitar)

BluesKing777.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Yes, you’re right…..instruments are very personal, and have value beyond what they sell for.  
I'm more concerned with the relationship damage between you and your father.   

Thanks, that’s kind of you.  I wish I could say we had a Hallmark moment before he died, but it wasn’t a movie and he made his choices.   I found out after he died that much of our difficulties well into my late adulthood were compounded by his vindictive last wife who, among other things, was miffed I wouldn’t start calling her “mom” as a middle aged person.  My explanation that “Mom” was not a term of endearment in my lexicon (if you thought dad was difficult….) still did not sway new wife  that the deferral was not out of disrespect.  Anyway, everybody gots baggage.  Let’s play guitars! 😄

• Like 1

Through the years I’ve sold, traded, given-away more instruments than I can remember.  Don’t know if I miss any of them.  I guess I don’t think about them enough to miss them.  I suspect that many of them have become great guitars for some people.   Many of them I didn’t keep long or give them a chance to be “my” guitar.  If I didn’t bond quickly with them, they were often gone in a few weeks or less.   I’m real content with what I’ve got now…..at least for now.

• Like 1