Gibson Brands Forums

Of all the Gibsons you've owned...

vacamartin

Which one(S) do you pine for the most.  I miss the bark, the neck shape and feel, the satisfaction of playing a great acoustic.   The one I really miss is the 2002 L-130.  Now a-days I couldn't afford to reclaim it,,,if I could even find one!   Live and learn? More like regret and learn! how about you people?  Any that you miss? JD

I wish I still owned my very first Gibson, which was a The Paul Firebrand I purchased new from a music store I worked at when I was a teenager. I have better, fancier Gibson models in my collection today, but was a good guitar, and it would be nice to still own my first Gibson.

I had an early ‘60s LG-1. By the time I bought it (at Elderly’s in ‘92 or so) the plastic bridge had been professionally replaced with a wood one. I liked it — ladder bracing and all — but at the time, I didn’t really appreciate smaller-body guitars the way I do now. I traded it in in ‘95 or so for a ‘66 J-45.

Of the guitars I’ve owned and gotten rid of (including an early ‘70s Martin D-35S with Brazilian rosewood) the LG-1 is the one I miss.

33 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I wish I still owned my very first Gibson, which was a The Paul Firebrand I purchased new from a music store I worked at when I was a teenager. I have better, fancier Gibson models in my collection today, but was a good guitar, and it would be nice to still own my first Gibson.

It was my first Gibson and it was a student guitar at best. I don't think I have ever seen one gigged. Heavy chunk of Walnut or what ever it was made of.  There is a reason they were only made for a bout 5 years. Why they reissued them I will never know? Wait I just remembered its these - $$$$$$.

Since you seem to be in the know. What does Gibson do with guitars that do not sell?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I really had to put some thought into this one. In 1986 (for about a week) and 1987 (for about a week) I owned a 1970 cherry sunburst LP Deluxe that had been routed for three full sized humbuckers. Sacrilegious, I know, but people didn’t care as much then. I turned my nose up at it because of its butchered state and  twice applied “catch n release”. Fact is, however, when I played that guitar, I hit way above my weight. I am NOT a good guitar player but I sure could pass for one with that LP. I didn’t have the brains to realize how good I could be if I looked past the fact that it had been modified. 

1972 Les Paul Recording.

I wore the frets off that guitar in/around Mesa/Phoenix and didn't know anybody here in the Midwest to trust a fret job and had joined a band with hundreds of bookings and needed a workhorse quickly.

And I was about broke after the relocation.

Swapped it even for a brand new American Standard Strat (about a grand at the time). I had only paid about $500 for the Les Paul and made 10's of thousands with it, and sold the Strat for $600 after a few years and making many more thousands with it.

Strats are a dime a dozen, but the "Recording" was a cool guitar.

I foolishly & regrettably sold a mint 1959 Gibson ES-345 Stereo with PAF’s.. I’d trade all 35 of my Electric Gibson, Fender,, Rickenbacker & Gretsch Guitars if I could have it back in the same condition…

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've been through about 150 guitars in my lifetime.

I'm probably in the 100-150 range over the course of my lifetime. 

Currently, no regrets. Getting ready for another herd thinning.

We definitely differ here! I have plenty of regrets - guitars I let go that, in retrospect, I really wish I had kept. I no longer do the "sell this to buy that" routine. Instead, I buy what I really want, even if I have to save up for it a bit to afford it, and then I keep it. I find I save a LOT of money that way!

My 1999 J-45 Rosewood that I bought new in 2000. It played like butter and had great tone. Headstock developed a crack around 2020 and I sold it as is/in need of repair. I actually got what I paid for it. If I ever buy another guitar(unlikely), I would get another rosewood J-45.

If you include non-Gibsons, I regret trading my 1980 Guild D-55 for a 1994 J-45. That Guild was the best sounding guitar I ever owed, but the long scale neck was tough on me. After I got rid of it, I was regretted it so much, I tried to find a replacement. I bought and sold 3 more D-55s, until the 4th one was a keeper.

Though I only play acoustic fingerpicking guitar, for about the last 30 years...I was a superstar for a minute around late 80s.....well, we thought we were, ......or might be....😁

Photo below - live at festival with Gibson Les Paul Custom, behind me on stands - Fender Strat, Fender Telecaster and the Mesa Boogie Studio 22 mic'd through massive PA!

Star! Superstar....ha!

THEN....a few days later the singer and the bass player quit the band and the rest wandered off to various side projects, and that was IT.

Les Paul to the pawn shop not long after. BOING. 

Pretty sure George Harrison played one like mine in the newer Get Back movie.

Here tis:

LddUjGN.jpg

BluesKing777.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacamartin said:

And so it goes.....i'm still hoping for that pawn shop miracle find!🍺

No such thing - they know exactly what a guitar is worth and I got a pittance for the LP plus all these guitar gadgets.....but I still had a place to live!

At least I haven’t seen someone playing it...anywhere. There were a limited number in that dark wine red look.....

BluesKing777.

4 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

At least I haven’t seen someone playing it...anywhere. There were a limited number in that dark wine red look.....

Wasn’t there a discussion about the wine red one a while ago? Some pics went up and someone chimed in they use to own it? Was that you?  Or maybe that was someplace else… rough past few days, my mind is a bit of a fog.  

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Though I only play acoustic fingerpicking guitar, for about the last 30 years...I was a superstar for a minute around late 80s.....well, we thought we were, ......or might be....😁

Photo below - live at festival with Gibson Les Paul Custom, behind me on stands - Fender Strat, Fender Telecaster and the Mesa Boogie Studio 22 mic'd through massive PA!

Star! Superstar....ha!

THEN....a few days later the singer and the bass player quit the band and the rest wandered off to various side projects, and that was IT.

Les Paul to the pawn shop not long after. BOING. 

Pretty sure George Harrison played one like mine in the newer Get Back movie.

Here tis:

LddUjGN.jpg

BluesKing777.

Did the Angels do your security like at Altamont?

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did the Angels do your security like at Altamont?

Ha ha, they were....absolute ...Angels!  😁

I also played at all the various HQs and some bars they haunted.

Never had any problems, like I said I was a superstar and also invincible! And the band played on......

Gibson Les Paul Custom in my photo - now they go for large amounts of gold! At the time of the gigs, I didn’t even consider leaving it home! Gulp, would probably take a Fender Highway or some cheapie now! But that Les Paul was made for outside gigs in a BIG concert rig! What a tone, direct to amp, mic to PA...no foot pedals. Close to something illegal, it was so cool!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Wasn’t there a discussion about the wine red one a while ago? Some pics went up and someone chimed in they use to own it? Was that you?  Or maybe that was someplace else… rough past few days, my mind is a bit of a fog.  

Not me.

I don’t think I have put that photo up before. I took a iphone photo of the original photo to load it to computer.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

30 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

What a tone, direct to amp, mic to PA...no foot pedals. Close to something illegal, 

Yep, mine too. I never needed a Tube Screamer until I bought the Strat.

3 minutes ago, Murph said:

Yep, mine too. I never needed a Tube Screamer until I bought the Strat.

Sorry to break it to you about 30 years or so too late......but my Mesa Boogie was sensational for Strats/Teles plugged direct.

22 Watts sounded like 200! Mic to PA. The end of carrying my wardrobe with me everywhere. (Marshall and cab).

Little Boogie has  been my tuner, slides, capos table for 25 years........has microphonic pots for master....probably should get it fixed and move it along but......

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777.

Some of the worst mistakes I ever made were trading off guitars. Back in the day though letting go of something was the only way I could acquire something new to me.

If there was one Gibson I should have held onto and many years down the road still miss it is a 1956 Southerner Jumbo.  This guitar had acquired the local reputation as the one to beat with the occasional appearance being requested by a local shop for a shootout.  The judges were generally members of what the shop owner affectionately called the "Deadbeat Club" being pickers who spent a lot of more time playing store offerings but not near as much time buying.  That Gibson never lost. 

But it was nothing like when I finally let my 1958 Tele go.  I swear I had nightmares about that thing where I went looking for the guitar but it was nowhere to be found.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'm hip. I was a Boogie man, too. 

EpcVY9q.jpg?1

I have never tried a Rectifier....

My 22 was Smith’s update of an old Fender Princeton.....master on 7 1/2 but gain on 2, for that disgusting growly Zappa chord tone. Blahhhhhh!!

The Riff from Slime thru 22 would fix the noisy selfish neighbours, probably around 1 - 2 am! Ha ha ha. Probably get jail these days.

BluesKing777.