Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 Style with more pizzazz?

BluesKing777

As I was looking at the photo of my 2005 Gibson Dove cherry burst custom shop orange label when I posted it in another thread, I was thinking, thinking, yeah hurts it a bit too much thinking, but....why don't Gibson Acoustic make a small body Dove cherry burst? 

L-00 South American Toucan or something brighter than the plain old sunburst or vanilla!

I mean, I often grab the Dove cherry on a gloomy dull day to lighten up the  house! I know they have the L-00 Deluxe on cherry burst but no...birds or inlays everywhere! Maybe Gibson thinks us L-00 lovers are a grim ole lot?

2007 Gibson Blues King L-00, famous look I know but......looks like an old boot.:

yALFr3e.jpg

2005 Dove cherry - happy!:

pbZLVIv.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Never mind the finish, the pickguard in the photo of the Blues King looks like it was installed by someone with their eyes on the clock waiting for quitting time to come. 

While I would not class Bozeman bursts as poorly done, I find them, for lack of a better description, to be pedestrian looking.  But I have also never been a fan of cherry bursts although I do kind of like those, which despite the claims of using light fast pigments, have over the years faded to almost a ghost finish.

5 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Never mind the finish, the pickguard in the photo of the Blues King looks like it was installed by someone with their eyes on the clock waiting for quitting time to come. 

Made late Friday afternoon after getting fired in the morning and taking a long lunch at a bar, ya think?🙂

Except....my friend bought a used 2013 BluesKing, mine is 2007 - and the pickguard is EXACTLY the same...company orders from Ren?

lv0up0p.jpg

BluesKing777.

Anyhow, I suppose I was continuing my long theme of L-00 and small shaped guitar lovers missing out on all the stuff the J45 and Bird lovers get - no Historic L-00, no LG Murph but Historic LG.....build it and they will come, wasn't that a movie?

BluesKing777.

More boring old brown burst things!

I mean cherry burst with  some fancy inlay bird pickguard and fancy neck inlays and headstock.....the L-00 Toucan Supreme?

Liven up a dull day without lugging a great big Dove or Bird around. Small body Dove cherry!

BluesKing777

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

More boring old brown burst things!

I mean cherry burst with  some fancy inlay bird pickguard and fancy neck inlays and headstock.....the L-00 Toucan Supreme?

Liven up a dull day without lugging a great big Dove or Bird around. Small body Dove cherry!

BluesKing777

I hear you, I never understood why they don’t make blinged up versions of the smaller bodies?  You are right, maybe instead of a toucan (which are kinda clunky and squawky, they could call it “The Wren.”  There is some weird equation that only large bodies = expensive and so get flash, and small bodies = low cost, so just get plain, or brown bursts.  They don’t seem to grok that people play different size bodies for different tones/reasons, and expense is not always the main consideration.  Now, in the prewar banjos, the builds were basically the same, so it was the accouterments/inlay that what moved you up price-wise in the model line.  

15 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I hear you, I never understood why they don’t make blinged up versions of the smaller bodies?  You are right, maybe instead of a toucan (which are kinda clunky and squawky, they could call it “The Wren.”  There is some weird equation that only large bodies = expensive and so get flash, and small bodies = low cost, so just get plain, or brown bursts.  They don’t seem to grok that people play different size bodies for different tones/reasons, and expense is not always the main consideration.  Now, in the prewar banjos, the builds were basically the same, so it was the accouterments/inlay that what moved you up price-wise in the model line.  

Exactly!

You get it.

First world problem and when I wanted the Blues King all those years ago, I would never have imagined owning a cherry burst dread! Need that L-00, don’t care if it is green......

Of course a Custom order can be anything but...you know, what about a standard release - L-00 Red Robin with inlays everywhere!

My Better Half enjoys the look of my Dove cherry - not much for listening to me  anymore - and her studied opinion is that the natural finish guitars and the brown finish bursts  look like furniture.....

BluesKing777.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

Exactly!

You get it.

First world problem and when I wanted the Blues King all those years ago, I would never have imagined owning a cherry burst dread! Need that L-00, don’t care if it is green......

Of course a Custom order can be anything but...you know, what about a standard release - L-00 Red Robin with inlays everywhere!

My Better Half enjoys the look of my Dove cherry - not much for listening to me  anymore - and her studied opinion is that the natural finish guitars and the brown finish bursts  look like furniture.....

BluesKing777.

I just got curious about what might be out there that could be gussied up by my luthier, (after looking into M2M, chuckle) and apparently there actually may be some unicorns to root out. Not blingy, but hey, it doesn’t look like a coffee table?  https://reverb.com/item/42951445-1961-gibson-lg-2-cherry-sunburst 

58 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I suppose you  could M2M order any color you want, but that would require one to buy a new Gibson guitar which eliminates 80% of the members.

Grumpy Rodriguez is on the right track, but nobody showed her the Dove inlays on the neck body and headstock like I mean!

Olivia will be cross at the custom shop when she sees my L-00 Dove Cherry Burst Custom Max!

BluesKing777.

• Thanks 1

Some people don’t seem to be able to read, then go off on their own tangent.

I am talking about an L-00 in cherry red burst with the same inlays as the Dove cherry burst I posted first post....not the same old brown guitars.

I am saying Gibson Acoustic make all the Hummingbirds and Doves in cherry burst and inlays but not the L-00 model.....nice and bright to liven up a dull day like my Dove - without lugging a big dread around!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 2/21/2024 at 6:03 PM, BluesKing777 said:

Maybe Gibson thinks us L-00 lovers are a grim ole lot?

Cheap.

They think you're cheap.

Wait.

I meant to say down to Earth.

Sensible.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:31 PM, Dave F said:

I suppose you  could M2M order any color you want, but that would require one to buy a new Gibson guitar which eliminates 80% of the members.

Are you saying not many people on here buy new guitars? What makes you say that?

2 minutes ago, gibsonchiq said:

Are you saying not many people on here buy new guitars? What makes you say that?

I believe Dave meant the expense related to ordering a M2M just for the special color is pretty steep.  And I have noticed that a lot of folks in this forum at least do tend to lean to the used/vintage buys.  I know I’m not likely to buy new any more. I’m too old, hence don’t have enough time to wait for them to open up.  

16 minutes ago, gibsonchiq said:

Quite a few on this forum, not all, are not in to buying new Gibson's or even new guitars. Nothing wrong with that.

11 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I believe Dave meant the expense related to ordering a M2M just for the special color is pretty steep.  And I have noticed that a lot of folks in this forum at least do tend to lean to the used/vintage buys.  I know I’m not likely to buy new any more. I’m too old, hence don’t have enough time to wait for them to open up.  

Not at all. I've ordered three M2M Gibsons and thought the cost was less than I could get a standard model. You just have to be smart about about avoiding any extra tooling cost.