Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Banner Finish Issues

thelimey

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Remind us how many Gibson acoustics you have?

None, but I did have a J-15. And it wasn't the cats meow like people gush over. It was an okay guitar, but I just don't like Walnut as a tone wood. I did own a lot of Gibson electrics back in the day. I had a pic of the back which was really cool, but I can't find it. And no they are not Walnut J-45's.

y1FWpoy.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

First off, I do get wanting a new guitar to be in pristine condition so every scuff, nick and dried Tabasco sauce stain from that point on becomes a memory albeit not necessarily a pleasant one.

Still posts like this always bring a grin to my face wondering what the OP would think of my 1942 J50 in terms of the build quality.  Not only would calling the long scallop bracing roughhewn be a kindness but if you will recall on this one somebody accidently flip flopped one of the two book matched top pieces.  But after a run through of Rev. Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag" and a Hot Tuna-esque take on his "Hesitation Blues" all of that stuff went out the window and even though the store owner let me take it home for a bit before I had to make a call, I knew this thing was not going anywhere.  Point is, I will overlook stuff if the guitar has that sound that every time you pull it from its case and hit a big fat open chord you utter a silent "whoa" because it is like you are hearing it for the first time again.  But if it ain't got that swing then life is too short to worry about it so you do what it takes to make you happy so you can get on with it.

Edited by zombywoof

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

First off, I do get wanting a new guitar to be in pristine condition so every scuff, nick and dried Tabasco sauce stain from that point on becomes a memory albeit not necessarily a pleasant one.

Still posts like this always bring a grin to my face wondering what the OP would think of my 1942 J50 in terms of the build quality.  Not only would calling the long scallop bracing roughhewn be a kindness but if you will recall on this one somebody accidently flip flopped one of the two book matched top pieces.  But after a run through of Rev. Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag" and a Hot Tuna-esque take on his "Hesitation Blues" all of that stuff went out the window and even though the store owner let me take it home for a bit before I had to make a call, I knew this thing was not going anywhere.  Point is, I will overlook stuff if the guitar has that sound that every time you pull it from its case and hit a big fat open chord you utter a silent "whoa" because it is like you are hearing it for the first time again.  But if it ain't got that swing then life is too short to worry about it so you do what it takes to make you happy so you can get on with it.

Nice for you, ZW but the original poster just paid about $5K for a brand new J45 Banner replica and Gibson don't seem to be catching the problems at QC....or they let a percentage through for financial reasons.....

BluesKing777.

15 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Nice for you, ZW but the original poster just paid about $5K for a brand new J45 Banner replica and Gibson don't seem to be catching the problems at QC....or they let a percentage through for financial reasons.....

BluesKing777.

OR - as I opined earlier - it is an abrasion that occurred AFTER it left Bozeman.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

OR - as I opined earlier - it is an abrasion that occurred AFTER it left Bozeman.  

Well, whoever had it to sell and damaged it should fix it, take it back....he bought it new. They are around $5K.

If he took it to sell it somewhere - they would be poking at that missing finish - ‘What is this?’ - instant deduction.

Finish issues can be really expensive to fix these days.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

17 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

BluesKing777.

And as I said, the purchaser has every right to expect a guitar in pristine condition.  But I also agree with the opinion that the scuffing may not have been because Bozeman turned a blind eye to it but occurred after it left the factory.  The point I was making is somebody bought my '42 new.  I initially thought the top just had a crazy grain.  It took the eye of a good luthier to figure out it was the result of a build error.  

On 2/27/2024 at 8:09 AM, fortyearspickn said:

That's what I said, too.

It looks like a scuff to me.

Not a warranty issue.

• Upvote 1