Gibson Brands Forums

Were there any changes to the J-45 since 2018

Guithartic

In a word,  yes.  I think you got a True Vintage, a model they retired and replaced with 'Vintage'. Standards are different. Modern Classic, etc.  Go to the section above "Acoustic Guitars" and lookup 'round shouldered' and you'll see a dozen versions.  Half are just 'color and cosmetic' differences - not what's under the hood.  And that's just for this year, not the past five. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

In a word,  yes.  I think you got a True Vintage, a model they retired and replaced with 'Vintage'. Standards are different. Modern Classic, etc.  Go to the section above "Acoustic Guitars" and lookup 'round shouldered' and you'll see a dozen versions.  Half are just 'color and cosmetic' differences - not what's under the hood.  And that's just for this year, not the past five. 

The neck feels and looks like a slim taper. I tried a TV version (probably '50s) at Guitar Center, and that neck was very fat.  This one says Standard on the sound hole sticker and seems to have the active LR Baggs VTR UST pickup system. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:29 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Sorry - thought  I'd read you has gotten a TV.    Otherwise - as I said - specs change all the time, especially on this model. 

The more I've been researching and talking to people, it seems that there hasn't been any changes to this model since 2008 or 2009 whenever they put the LR Baggs Element pickup in them. The only thing I could find, and I am not sure if it is a typo or a matter of what measuring device was used, is that Gibson listed the J-45 in 2018 as having a 1.725-inch nut width, and Sweetwater lists it now as having a 1.724-inch nut width. It's hard to imagine that Gibson would specifically start a specific plan to reduce the nut width by 1/1000 of an inch.

23 hours ago, Guithartic said:

The more I've been researching and talking to people, it seems that there hasn't been any changes to this model since 2008 or 2009 whenever they put the LR Baggs Element pickup in them. The only thing I could find, and I am not sure if it is a typo or a matter of what measuring device was used, is that Gibson listed the J-45 in 2018 as having a 1.725-inch nut width, and Sweetwater lists it now as having a 1.724-inch nut width. It's hard to imagine that Gibson would specifically start a specific plan to reduce the nut width by 1/1000 of an inch.

Guithartic,

Keep in mind that if Gibson did reduce the nut width, The Fans would have to buy the "new" j-45 in all the colours lest their collections not be up-to-date.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 1

From what I have read, the 2024 Standard Ex-Wife edition has a fatter bottom end, and they replaced the active LR Baggs VTR UST pickup system with the She-R Baggy  MISTRUST system.

It sounds a lot more shrill than the one you have.

I'm gonna shut up now.
😗

Edited by sparquelito
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

From what I have read, the 2024 Standard Ex-Wife edition has a fatter bottom end, and they replaced the active LR Baggs VTR UST pickup system with the She-R Baggy  MISTRUST system.

It sounds a lot more shrill than the one you have.

I'm gonna shut up now.
😗

That's true, and Sweetwater says they don't have the G string anymore. They have something called granny panties, whatever that is. 

• Haha 1