Gibson Brands Forums

Buying an ES335 online. How do I tell which ones come with the slim taper necks?

charliebrownie

I'm looking for a ES335 that has a slim taper neck (the slimmer the better! maybe around 0.8 at the first fret?) and was wondering if anyone has tips/tricks on identifying them? The new ones all seem to come with the Rounded C profile which is too big for my liking.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, charliebrownie said:

I'm looking for a ES335 that has a slim taper neck (the slimmer the better! maybe around 0.8 at the first fret?) and was wondering if anyone has tips/tricks on identifying them? The new ones all seem to come with the Rounded C profile which is too big for my liking.

Thanks!

I think you just have to look at everyone they are currently selling and look at what Gibson says is the neck profile.

Most current 335's are like 0.85 thick at the first fret and 0.95 at the twelfth,  Some as big as .90 and 1.00.

My 335 is 13 years old and it's about 0.82, 0.92.  Almost exactly the same as the "Slim Taper" on my '19 SG Standard '61.  They seem to have gotten about 0.05" thicker over the last ten years or so.

Places like Wildwood Guitars show the neck measurements for each guitar they sell.

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1