Gibson Brands Forums

Millions excitedly plan to watch something "turn off"

Back in the 90s, I worked for an airline with a guy who would swap his days off to travel and watch total eclipses wherever they were. He told me it was like an addiction to him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

IMO it's something everyone should see at least once if they can.

I agree.

This doesn't happen often; we were really lucky to get 2 in such a short time around here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So, the sun "turned off", and thankfully, it "turned on" again. (I feel my dancing and chanting whilst in Druid dress made the Sun "turn back on", lol)   I did hear some banter about the New Jersey/New York Earthquake, the eclipse, and the coming rare multi species Cicada (Locust) emergence happening back to back to back, and all the apocalyptic associations there-in. I'll wait till it rains frogs before I begin to think that way.

Monday morning at 6:50am CST, we left home and drove almost 6 hours to Benton, IL to check out the "totality". I took my Squire Strat, my Blackstar Fly 3, VOX Amplug Classic Rock, and a 15' 1/8" to 1/8" cable to connect the VOX to the Aux input of the Blackstar. (easier than bringing pedals.)  We arrived 20 minutes before the moon began it's transition. After setting up and eating the picnic goodies we brought, I sat and played until my friend let me know it was 5 minutes until totality. It felt great to play outside again, as I haven't done so since last fall. The weather was 80 degrees F, and was clear and calm. It was an amazing experience and we were able to look at the event (from time to time) through a pair of high end telescopes with the proper filters. (A friend from Lake Geneva, WI met us down there, and brought his scopes.) I had never experienced a total eclipse before within the path of totality, Since this may be the last one I will be alive for, I'm glad I was able to see it.  Unfortunately, it took us around 11 hours to get home. Hundreds of miles of brake lights on the highways. (I am used to rush hour traffic in Chicago, but this was NUTS!!) I decided to take back roads after 5 plus hours of travelling 20mph (on average) on the highway. Nothing like 17 hours in a car to watch a 4 minute 17 second show, LOL. (only counting the totality part, not the entire eclipse, fyi)  

Edited by Sheepdog1969
clarification