Gibson Brands Forums

Millions excitedly plan to watch something "turn off"

Most times people make plans to watch something turn on. Millions of people across the US, (and other parts of the world), make plans to watch Christmas tree lightings. In Chicago, it is a tradition for many to watch Buckingham fountain turn on each spring. But this spring, millions of people are planning to watch the Sun "turn off".

April 8th, 2024 is the date many US States will experience a Total Solar Eclipse. To be clear, the Sun is NOT "turning off", it is just going to be blocked for a few minutes by the Moon, (for those in the specific path of the moon's shadow). Simply put, a total eclipse of the Sun is the most beautiful sight you will ever see in the sky. Nothing can prepare you for the amazing sight when the sky suddenly darkens and the Sun’s corona shines in the sky. No photograph can capture the stunning beauty of a total solar eclipse, you must see it for yourself.

Learn about the basics of the solar eclipse at greatamericaneclipse.com/basics and find out more about the wonder of eclipses at greatamericaneclipse.com/splendor.  Maybe you too can make plans to go and watch something huge "turn off"!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Most times people make plans to watch something turn on. Millions of people across the US, (and other parts of the world), make plans to watch Christmas tree lightings. In Chicago, it is a tradition for many to watch Buckingham fountain turn on each spring. But this spring, millions of people are planning to watch the Sun "turn off".

April 8th, 2024 is the date many US States will experience a Total Solar Eclipse. To be clear, the Sun is NOT "turning off", it is just going to be blocked for a few minutes by the Moon, (for those in the specific path of the moon's shadow). Simply put, a total eclipse of the Sun is the most beautiful sight you will ever see in the sky. Nothing can prepare you for the amazing sight when the sky suddenly darkens and the Sun’s corona shines in the sky. No photograph can capture the stunning beauty of a total solar eclipse, you must see it for yourself.

Learn about the basics of the solar eclipse at greatamericaneclipse.com/basics and find out more about the wonder of eclipses at greatamericaneclipse.com/splendor.  Maybe you too can make plans to go and watch something huge "turn off"!

Sheepdog,

I'm so relieved to read that the sun won't actually be turning off.

Now I won't have to put on my witch-doctor's outfit, and prance about to beseech the gods to turn it back on, and can just relax.

Much appreciated.

RBSinTo

• Haha 3

The last one passed over here, and this one does too.

All of the motels, and campgrounds and stuff are already booked and they're selling t-shirts.

Go, capitalism....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

. Nothing can prepare you for the amazing sight when the sky suddenly darkens and the Sun’s corona shines in the sky. No photograph can capture the stunning beauty of a total solar eclipse, you must see it for yourself.

That's great, it's a wonderful phenomenon but... Remember even though nothing can compare to seeing it yourself, you must wear proper viewing glasses or you could go blind. We got some cheap ones on Amazon for $6 for a 5- pack.

• Like 1

If you didn't make your plans last year I doubt there are any hotels left anywhere along totality.  We got ours last summer in Cleveland, and didn't even get gouged.

rct

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Murph said:

The last one passed over here, and this one does too.

All of the motels, and campgrounds and stuff are already booked and they're selling t-shirts.

Go, capitalism....

I went to the eclipse and all I got was this stupid T-shirt.

• Upvote 1

My sister-in-law lives in northern Vermont so we have a free place to go. It will be too bad for all those who spent lots to go somewhere and it's a cloudy day. At least it will still get dark for a bit even if it's cloudy.

• Like 1

I've always marveled at the fact the moon appears to cover the Sun exactly from our viewpoint during a total eclipse.

As well as the Earth's tilt, our protective magnetic field and the property of water to float when frozen.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

There are some political hacks here in the Austin area going nuts over this.  Closing schools and encouraging government agencies and businesses to close for the day.  You’d think Armageddon was coming.  I’m surprised these same people haven’t proposed mandatory “duck and cover” drill.  Same kinda vibe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rct said:

If you didn't make your plans last year I doubt there are any hotels left anywhere along totality.  We got ours last summer in Cleveland, and didn't even get gouged.

rct

My daughter and I  travelling that morning down to Benton, IL, (just over four hours south of me), and plan on watching the event outside of town on an open country road. Since the eclipse only  lasts for just over 4 minutes, I don't see the need to pay for anything other than lunch, the gas to get there and back, and the 5 bucks for two pair of appropriate viewing glasses. Thought it would be a fun day trip to experience the event with my kid.

I'm still waiting for my invite from Murph to attend his massive viewing party, lol!

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

SOME political hacks!?    You’re being too charitable!   Will the bats under the bridge think it’s nighttime and fly out?   Maybe they’ll  get ahold of some of those politicians! 

Well, this is Austin.  The state capital and San Francisco of Texas.  The home of political hacks, on both sides of the aisle..  Pretty scary to see up close and personal every day.  Just reinforces my mantra:  All politicians suck.  Some just suck less than others.

And I wouldn’t shed a single tear if the bats under the bridge flew out and dragged their sorry a$$es somewhere far away from here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I'm still waiting for my invite from Murph to attend his massive viewing party, lol!

I own 30 acres of woods, about a mile out (separate property) from my house.

The last eclipse was before I retired so I was at work. My wife was off that day and went out to our property because she wanted to see/hear the wildlife reaction.

She said it was eerie as heck, crickets started cricketing, and stuff. So that's what we're going to do, go into the woods, there is an area I mow by a small pond that's perfect for viewing the sky.

If you have a 4x4 with pretty good ground clearance that you don't mind getting a few scratches, I can get you in. It's another hour and a half one way from Benton.

And, you'll have to sign the SRF.

"Squatch Release Form"...

• Haha 1

We had one that was like 96%.  I couldn't have been more bored.  It gets dark every night where I live and eclipses aren't complicated enough for me to get all silly.  The moon is in front of the sun.  BFD.  When the sun gets in front of the moon I'll pay attention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

We had one that was like 96%.  I couldn't have been more bored.  It gets dark every night where I live and eclipses aren't complicated enough for me to get all silly.  The moon is in front of the sun.  BFD.  When the sun gets in front of the moon I'll pay attention.

I'll call it "the Cosmic Greeny Humbucker Phase Happening".

36 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Yep.  Been through a couple of near misses - but aa Total  in the late 60s  on the  Virginia. coast.   "Is that all there is?"   comes to mind.      BPP - if the sun gets in front of the moon, I think we'll need something more than special viewing glasses. 

• Like 1