Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Johnson Guitars

tpbiii

At the end of our "folk era" -- late 60s and early 70s -- I was really into the history of American traditional music, and I still have quite a large library of books on the subject.  Being a geek, I have always remembered stuff (less so now at 80) and at that time I had no problem doing lectures on blues history as well as traditional mountain styles and gospel and by the late 70s bluegrass too.  I had (have) all the old recordings Robert Johnson as well as many more.   I was always more drawn to the blue harp ( have played since I was 😎 and when I play blues, it is mostly on harp -- love Son Terry!.  But blues never caught on with me -- other than harp.  Even though I know hundreds of song lyrics, they are not blues songs.

I have not kept up -- for the past 35+ years, we played almost exclusively bluegrass with some traditional folk, old gospel, traditional mountain, and folk revival.  I did (and do) get hired now and then as a blues side man, but only on harp and no vocals.  But when I came across this youtube video about Robert Johnson's guitars and where he got them, I was interested.

I knew about the L1, but I had missed the KG-14.  I have them both and have always considered them my "blues" guitars, but since I play so little in that style, that is not very relevant. 

882982_d26b4ac08345e9d5bce48e9524d41959_t.jpg
882982_4384f01b08361d88b2757eb796b10dea_t.jpg
882982_2e90af46e68c556208abe01fdf287839_t.jpg882982_c91b5015242e64898a60de876341c500_t.jpgThe other two that fit this category tonally are the 39 HG-00 and (oddly) 65 F-25. 
882982_5cd96f357104c74d46886ca5c3b92100_t.jpg882982_3c157c76eeaa3bd4dbfb830e6cebf26a_t.jpgJust geeking out before breakfast.1f60e.svg

Best,
-Tom

• Like 5

It is, of course, believed that Robert Johnson never owned an L1 but only posed with it for the studio photo. Johnny Shines who traveled with RJ recalls he played an Oscar Schmidt Stella and a Kalamazoo archtop (either a KG31 or KG21) before he acquired the KG14.  The story is he lost the archtop in a fire but who knows.

If there is an archetype "blues" guitar though it is the Schmidt Stella.  Not only Robert Johnson but Charlie Patton, Blind Blake, Willie Brown, and a host of others, favored them.  I still have a couple  -  an all-birch slot head 12 fret concert and a scary rare  spruce top, 14 fret, solid headstock jumbo.

Edited by zombywoof

This is an interesting Thread.. I’ve always been drawn to the Blues since I was a little kid.. Especially those early Blues Records.. I’m not sure why though? There’s something magical about them. I’ve always been curious what Guitars Robert Johnson actually played on those Recordings? A lot of those other early Blues Guys too? 

I didn’t start playing Guitar til I was in the Army & was broke all the time. A Guy named Dave from Pittsburgh played his Acoustic every minute we were off duty.. He was really into the Blues.. Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Jimmy Reed to name a few.. He also was playing Yardirds, Stones & some other modern Blues Bands.. He was already an extremely good Guitarist.. He didn’t sing though..

I said, I can sing some of those songs & we started playing together.. I asked him to teach me to play Guitar.. He showed how to play Bar Chords & I practiced all the time.. Like I said I was always broke after a night or two in D.C.

We started getting pretty decent & he suggested I try to play Harp. I was already a fan of Little Walter & Jimmy Reed.. And modern Harp players like Dylan, Keith Relf, Brian Jones & Mick Jagger..

I bought one in the key of A & a neck brace.. I started faking it.. I was playing very poorly on Guitar & Harp but could sing half way decent. I didn’t play Guitar too loud & Dave made us sound good.. We played together for a year & it was awesome! Then I got orders for Vietnam..

I owe that old Army buddy so much. I was never able to find him after I got out.. He disappeared.. I still remember him & the fun times we had playing & wish I could find him..

We could be 2 old Guys playing the Blues.. I’d like that….

I’m digging this Thread..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

The mystique!  We sure are fortunate!  The men and women of 1900-1970 were magical.  But also, the artists that learned from the originals and created a fantastic modern blues .  I would like to have the Gibson Robert Johnson model!!!!!

Note that my original post was not so much about Robert Johnson but on pictures of Robert Johnson and model guitars he was holding.  OTOH, since I own those (real vintage) models I can say IMHO they do make great traditional blues guitars.

It is not weird to me that L-0, L-00, and HG-00 make great blues guitar.  OTOH, the F-25 is a bit odd.😎

Best,

-Tom

The Pictures are cool.. And you got some nice Guitars.. But, that music was & still is magic.. Even though the recordings weren’t done in big fancy Studios with all kinds of Gear & using all the tricks those early Recordings by guys like Robert Johnson still stand up today.

I too would like to see a Gibson Robert Johnson Guitar..