Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Gibson 12 string

I just acquired a 1963 Gibson 12 string acoustic.  Took it in to get it set up and they told me that they think the truss rod is broken.  I have a couple question's.

1.  Is this common?  I understand all the extra tension from the added strings.

2. Would this be a single truss rod?  I read about some dual or double acting (may not have that worded correctly)

3. If this is indeed the issue how much would a repair like this be ballpark?

Thanks,

Most probably a single action. Older guitars sometimes get the nut seized up or maybe the strings were not loosened as they should be before adjusting on older guitars.

They usually break off at the end of the thread, There is a repair where they cobore deeper and chase new threads. It works, I've had it done.

Stewmac sells the tools . The luthier I use has the tools to do it.

Search - StewMac

01_goodtr.jpg?hash=637613015590000000&fo

02_badtr.jpg?hash=637613015600000000&for

6203_img3.jpg?hash=637613015600000000&fo

6203_img4.jpg?hash=637613015600000000&fo

6203_img5.jpg?hash=637613015600000000&fo

Edited by Dave F

Taking more meat away from the already 17 degree classic angle,  on a 12er with about 50 to 75 percent more tension than a 6 string? Sounds risky.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I have owned a '63 B45-12 and currently own one built in 1961. Yes, it is a single action truss rod. And while truss rods will snap, I would not call it common.  If anything, the issue you will run into associated with the added tension is a deformed top.  While I cannot speak to the B25-12, if that is what you own, prior to 1965 its jumbo kin were braced no differently than a six string. Great for sound but not the best recipe for survival. If kept tuned to pitch, they literally could twist themselves apart. Gibson finally figured it out and beefed up the bracing. 

If the truss rod is broken though it is very possibly the result of somebody overtightening it in the misguided attempt to lower the action. I can speak from experience that the sound of that truss rod snapping is something you will never forget.

How much repairs cost I do not have a clue.  If it is the truss rod, it depends on a bunch of factors not the least of which is where you live.  The last broken truss rod I dealt with was on a Harmony Sovereign.  In this case, it was a simple matter of pulling the rod out though the TRC opening, cutting and re-threading, replacing the nut, and re-installing.  Whole operation took around 30 minutes.   

Edited by zombywoof

Thanks for the insight.  It’s a B-25  12 in cherry burst.   The shop that was going to do the setup just gave it back when the truss nut just spun so more investigation is needed.   I inherited this guitar so I don’t know a lot about it.  Have a lot of Gibson’s just not an acoustic 12 string.  

Just now, Louisab623 said:

Thanks for the insight.  It’s a B-25  12 in cherry burst.   The shop that was going to do the setup just gave it back when the truss nut just spun so more investigation is needed.   I inherited this guitar so I don’t know a lot about it.  Have a lot of Gibson’s just not an acoustic 12 string.  

If the truss nut spun, it may just be the nut. Buy a new one for about $5, clean the threads on the rod (may be full of brass shavings) and give it a shot.

If that doesn't work because the rod is stripped, add washers before you put the nut on. The threads may be okay once you get away from the worn area.

I've used both of these methods, but I do have a die to clean off the threads.

4 hours ago, Louisab623 said:

Wow thank you that is an excellent idea.  Now I need to find a good luthier in the Milwaukee area.  

Wade's Guitar Shop.

rct

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Taking more meat away from the already 17 degree classic angle,  on a 12er with about 50 to 75 percent more tension than a 6 string? Sounds risky.

What's the option?   Turn it into a harp?

• Haha 1