Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Lucille

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Californiaman said:

Love my 2009 Custom Shop BB King. Congratulations on one of Gibson’s best. 
Here is mine. 

Niiice!  I’m thinking I’m finally starting to sort the models out.  Your headstock must be the marker of a CS model?  Initially I thought all Lucilles were custom shop if they had the blocks and inlay. But mine just has a normal serial number, no CS at the front mentioned in the Gibson guide.  So, just found the 2006 Custom catalogue which has our model shown in the Artist Collection. So it is a ‘custom’ just not an extra special “custom shop.” Geeze, Gibson can we be any more capricious in our models?    

Edited by PrairieDog

6 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Niiice! Your headstock must be the marker of a CS model? 

Notice my guitar does not indicate Gibson on the headstock?

Crazy, I know, but it is a Gibson Custom Shop BB King.  Some of these were even signed by BB.  If you find one of those, expect to pay a hefty price for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Californiaman said:

Notice my guitar does not indicate Gibson on the headstock?

Crazy, I know, but it is a Gibson Custom Shop BB King.  Some of these were even signed by BB.  If you find one of those, expect to pay a hefty price for it.

Yep the B B’s with B B King and the crown on the head say Gibson no where on the guitar. Fakes I’m sure.

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep the B B’s with B B King and the crown on the head say Gibson no where on the guitar. Fakes I’m sure.

I figure if someone wants to go to all the trouble to do all the triple binding, gild the hardware, do all the wiring for the multi switches and varitone, and add meticulous inlay just to fake a guitar so it looks exactly like the catalog beauty shot, then I say, more power to them? 😁

32 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I figure if someone wants to go to all the trouble to do all the triple binding, gild the hardware, do all the wiring for the multi switches and varitone, and add meticulous inlay just to fake a guitar so it looks exactly like the catalog beauty shot, then I say, more power to them? 😁

That will cost China $300 to make.  If anyone can do it they can. It’ll fall apart after a month but it’ll be cheap.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That will cost China $300 to make.  If anyone can do it they can. It’ll fall apart after a month but it’ll be cheap.

But you gotta ask why would they? They can all make much cheaper guitars a lot cheaper, and get a decent volume going.  Doing this kind of high end detail work is still gonna take a whole lot of time, plus then you gotta find the marks to buy it… There are much easier ways to make a scam buck in the third world.   As to falling apart in a month, gee, CaliforniaMan’s is 15 years old…  The corollary in the art world, no one is forging the Mona Lisa or Guernica, because everyone knows them. The bad dudes are forging up  the mid-level name artists that are harder to verify.  Mocking up a top end guitar is too easy to get caught just because there are too many tells and checks.  Like I said, if someone is that determined to fake somebody, and the person doesn’t do the research to tell if something is off, then hard lessons are  at least lasting lessons.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

But you gotta ask why would they? They can all make much cheaper guitars a lot cheaper, and get a decent volume going.  Doing this kind of high end detail work is still gonna take a whole lot of time, plus then you gotta find the marks to buy it… There are much easier ways to make a scam buck in the third world.   As to falling apart in a month, gee, CaliforniaMan’s is 15 years old…  The corollary in the art world, no one is forging the Mona Lisa or Guernica, because everyone knows them. The bad dudes are forging up  the mid-level name artists that are harder to verify.  Mocking up a top end guitar is too easy to get caught just because there are too many tells and checks.  Like I said, if someone is that determined to fake somebody, and the person doesn’t do the research to tell if something is off, then hard lessons are  at least lasting lessons.  

Why are Les Paul’s faked? Here is the answer $$$$$$$$. Nothing more nothing less. If it costs a faker $100 to make and they profited by $200. For them it’s a win all day long.

10 hours ago, Californiaman said:

My BB King has been authenticated by Gibson. They even pointed out that my neck is ebony and not the richlite material that would soon be used by the company. 

Mine was ebony too. Cause it was made before . . . well you know why they went to Richlite.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Ten years ago I swore I would never have another black guitar, but now? I would be all over that one. 

Its a peach. Congrats.  

Two weeks ago I swore I would not buy another guitar 😆

I think it was in this thread we were talking about a fake Lucille. If you go to the ES section, look and there’s a post called Authentic. And no it’s not real, and yes it is a fake Lucille, so there are people making them.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think it was in this thread we were talking about a fake Lucille. If you go to the ES section, look and there’s a post called Authentic. And no it’s not real, and yes it is a fake Lucille, so there are people making them.

Okay, I found the thread.  What are you picking up?  The serial number?   Yeah, just double checked and realized mine has an 8 digit number. Guess I’ll be calling Gibson in the morning.  I’m seriously hoping it is just a matter of something getting caught in the 2005 serial number change over to 9 digits, maybe because it was a custom? Geeze, this party didn’t last long…  sure plays and sounds nice for a fake… 

Edited by PrairieDog

59 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay, I found the thread, just a guy asking and you saying no?  What are you picking up?  The pics are pretty blurry, it’s hard to tell if there is triple body binding, but the head stock has it.  The pick guard is awfully bright, but could be a replacement? Or trick of the light? 

This back of the headstock with the serial number is the total wrong font and it’s easy to tell. The p/g is so bad it hurts my eyes. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This back of the headstock with the serial number is the total wrong font and it’s easy to tell.

My font looks right, but still by 2006 it should have a 9 digit even if it was built in early january.  Oh, and check my revised response. I edited while you were typing. 

Edited by PrairieDog

17 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

My font looks right, but still by 2006 it should have a 9 digit even if it was built in early january.  

It’s a fake. Of that I am sure. It’s not stamped in like a Gibson and I’ve never seen a Lucille with snot green Lucille MOP.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yours looks legit. 

Oh, thanks, I thought you were talking about mine 😁 And, I’m crawling down off the roof.  We just found another 2006 with an 8 digit number with the “artist series” paperwork for model just like ours made in August.  By 2007, it looks like they completed the changeover to 9 digits.  Still calling the mothership in the morning to be sure.  

40 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Oh, thanks, I thought you were talking about mine 😁 And, I’m crawling down off the roof.  We just found another 2006 with an 8 digit number with the “artist series” paperwork for model just like ours made in August.  By 2007, it looks like they completed the changeover to 9 digits.  Still calling the mothership in the morning to be sure.  

No the one in the Authentic thread it’s a crap Chibson.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:46 AM, PrairieDog said:

We might pop for new covers at some point

Pop for em now and swap em out. 20 years from now, plating, shape, material, *may change~ in some way. That way one can say, "originals in box".

-----

Oh sh*t. Edit.

I'm a sucker for a black beauty. Don't matter which. SG, LP, ES, V, Bird, what ever. Nice snag.......

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1