Gibson Brands Forums

Not a Gibson, but........

..........many of us have guitars other than Gibson.  I have interest in acquiring a small body of some stripe and this Santa Cruz caught my attention.......an 1929 OO.   Don't think I've ever owned a mahogany topped instrument..........those that have, what's your take on mahogany as a top wood?  The one is certainly beautiful.  I've listened to a few video/audio clips of the model and it sounds very quick and cutting.......a very immediate, in-your-face presence to the tone.  It's been my general assumption that small bodies like this are best suited to finger style technique, a style I am not well versed in, but I'm an old dog willing to learn new tricks.

Any mahogany top insights?

EqYsotb.jpeg

• Like 1

I like the tone of a good mahogany top. I have two and just sold another one last week.

The Martin 000 15 CS was real nice looking and sounding but like Johnson, I didn't care for the neck.

The other two are Gibson's. One is a '42 LG1 like Tom B and John T have. The other is a newer L00 Genuine Mahogany (actual model name). If you were a righty, I'd loan you one.

53588726959_3a5a2988ff_z.jpg

s-l1600 (1)

42 LG1

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

I like the tone of a good mahogany top. I have two and just sold another one last week.

The Martin 000 15 CS was real nice looking and sounding but like Johnson, I didn't care for the neck.

The other two are Gibson's. One is a '42 LG1 like Tom B and John T have. The other is a newer L00 Genuine Mahogany (actual model name). If you were a righty, I'd loan you one.

s-l1600 (1)

42 LG1

Can you loan me the 000-15 CS? I dig Martin’s necks, and their guitars.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can you loan me the 000-15 CS? I dig Martin’s necks, and their guitars.

That’s the one I sold this past week on eBay or I would had.

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

That’s the one I sold this past week on eBay or I would had.

Day late - dollar short. Story of my life. I’ve played my friends 000-15 standard. Love an all hog guitar.

Posted (edited)

The more I consider this guitar, the more I am reminded that it's not a tone I am attracted to.............very dry (this I like), minimal bass response, mostly mid-range honk.  No doubt it sounds very good but my instinct  tells me it's the wrong voice for me.  I am battling the urge to think I could connect with a small body.  And so the eye wanders.............

For a few dollars more, there is this:  what appears to be a most excellent take on a J-45 by Collings.......a CJ45T.  To my knowledge, Collings builds are immaculate and never disappointing.  In the past I have owned a couple different Collings electrics that were indeed stellar.  This one is very tempting.  J-35-style pickguard......the very dark, small sunburst is just gorgeous...............

Somebody stop me!

ZPgixBL.jpeg

Edited by Buc McMaster

On 4/13/2024 at 1:46 PM, Dave F said:

If you were a righty, I'd loan you one.

Well I appreciate that, Dave..............very generous of you, sir.  

15 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I doubt you would like the V neck on the Collings Traditional (T) model OR the chunky neck Santa Cruz!

Oh I like a big chunky neck profile.  The Telecaster I just sold had a 0.997" girth at the first fret.............big ol' handful.  I've owned a few Stratocasters in the past that had serious V profiles and were quite comfortable.  It's not difficult to adjust to varying neck profiles.

That said, I think the fever has passed.  I certainly have no need  for another guitar........it's a matter of suppressing the want.  The 185 is a fine instrument, suits my style of play and has taken a big turn for the better with a set of Jumbo King mediums.......0.013-0.056" down a half step.  I really like these RotoSound strings and the heavier gauge feels really good here.  I'd say they feel a shade softer than 0.012" gauge tuned to pitch but have more volume, a solid feel under the fingers and better balance across the fingerboard.  As an unexpected benefit, the intonation is much improved..........the 0.012" high E in particular was a bit wonky across the first three frets.......all good now.

Thanks for your input, gentlemen............my apologies for the false alarm.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:46 PM, Dave F said:

What neck was on it? The V necks I do not jive with from M. My HD-28V had one. I like the modern low oval ones.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper