Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Bachman of the Guess Who is selling off his guitar collection including a '59 LP

On this saddest of days when the world says goodbye to legendary artist, Dickey Betts, media sources announced a sale of Guess Who guitarist Randy Bachman's guitar collection:  https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/over-200-randy-bachmans-iconic-140049929.html   included in his top tier collection is a '59 Les Paul Randy played while recording some of his greatest hits. Estimates for that holy grail of Gibson's are in the $200,000-400,000 range but that is just a guestimate...in actuality,  the price could go far higher at the New York Hard Rock Cafe auction. I hope the LP goes to someone who will play it frequently and not stash it in a vault somewhere never to be played again.  If I had a time machine, I would go back to early 1959 and demand that Gibson triple their production of LP's but alas, all we have are those that have survived. They are almost in the same league as Stradivarius Violins and someday could be.

25 minutes ago, John Shiflet said:

On this saddest of days when the world says goodbye to legendary artist, Dickey Betts, media sources announced a sale of Guess Who guitarist Randy Bachman's guitar collection:  https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/over-200-randy-bachmans-iconic-140049929.html   included in his top tier collection is a '59 Les Paul Randy played while recording some of his greatest hits. Estimates for that holy grail of Gibson's are in the $200,000-400,000 range but that is just a guestimate...in actuality,  the price could go far higher at the New York Hard Rock Cafe auction. I hope the LP goes to someone who will play it frequently and not stash it in a vault somewhere never to be played again.  If I had a time machine, I would go back to early 1959 and demand that Gibson triple their production of LP's but alas, all we have are those that have survived. They are almost in the same league as Stradivarius Violins and someday could be.

Yeah we all would love to go back and snap up LP’s. Damn if only kept all those Beanie Babies I’d buy myself an island in the Caribbean with the profits.

What is a 2015 LP gonna be worth in 2065? Buy them all now and find out when it’s New Year’s Day 2065.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah we all would love to go back and snap up LP’s. Damn if only kept all those Beanie Babies I’d buy myself an island in the Caribbean with the profits.

Sgt. Pepper,  you're only kidding about the Beanies, right? My late wife, God rest her soul, collected those (can't use those words here) Beanie Babies for years and every time we would go to a flea market she'd dig around and find a rare limited issue "Beanie" while I'd roll my eyes and groan. Now, I'm stuck with a tractor trailer load and I have no practical use for them. Ok, maybe not a tractor trailer load, but for me, even one is too many. How can I unload them and use the proceeds for a Gibson ESS 335?  Chicago Music Exchange re-quoted me $4.5K for their custom shop red 335 model plus taxes and shipping which would still push it over $5K and result in too many nights of eating Ramen noodles. Couldn't someone accidentally put an inconspicous scratch on the underside of the neck to bring it into my price range? Anyhow, I'm patient...I waited 31 years to sell my Texas home,  50 years to trade in my SG, so what's another decade or two to wait for my ES 335?  I'm only 73 and surely I'll be spry enough to shred when I'm Willie Nelson's age, right? I'm pretty bummed there was a 2006 red 335 for $2,295 a few weeks ago and I was asleep at the wheel on that one while someone else, wasn't. Strike while the iron is hot applies...

Edited by John Shiflet
Typos greater clarity

6 minutes ago, John Shiflet said:

Sgt. Pepper,  you're only kidding about the Beanies, right? My late wife, God rest her soul, collected those (can't use those words here) Beanie Babies for years and every time we would go to a flea market she'd dig around and find a rare limited issue "Beanie" while I'd roll my eyes and groan. Now, I'm stuck with a tractor trailer load and I have no practical use for them. Ok, maybe not a tractor trailer load, but for me, even one is too many. How can I unload them and use the proceeds for a Gibson ESS 335?  Chicago Music Exchange requoted me $4.5K for their custom shop red 335 model plus taxes and shipping which would still pushes it over $5K and result in too many nights of eating Ramen noodles. Couldn't someone accidentally put an inconspicous scratch on the underside of the neck to bring it into my price range? Anyhow, I'm patient...I waited 31 years to sell my Texas home,  50 years to trade in my SG, so what's another decade or two to wait for my ES 335?  I'm only 73 and surely I'll be spry enough to shred when I'm Willie Nelson's age, right?

Yes. Stupidest thing ever. Your gonna get rich from a McDonalds happy meal toy? You’re kidding me right? Some thought they would. Nope.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes. Stupidest thing ever. Your gonna get rich from a McDonalds happy meal toy? You’re kidding me right? Some thought they would. Nope.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. My daughter likes sentimental stuff so maybe I can fob those off to her. I have a friend in northern California who had 16 Bitcoins someone paid him to settle a debt and those, if he had the good sense to cash them out recently, ,could have raised him up to millionaire status for a while. Small wonder the always practical Japanese saw quality American made guitars as good hedges against inflation so they must have bought thousands of them. Type in almost any Gibson model on E-Bay and you'll find a wide variety available from Japan and they always are being offered as "Brand New" in their listing descriptions, The only way that could be true is if they were bought factory fresh, stashed in a vault (never played, of course) and now, for reasons the sellers only know, are being re-offered to American buyers. A fair number appear to be reasonably priced so maybe the phenomenon is dying out.

Edited by John Shiflet
typo

23 minutes ago, John Shiflet said:

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. My daughter likes sentimental stuff so maybe I can fob those off to her. I have a friend in northern California who had 16 Bitcoins someone paid him to settle a debt and those, if he had the good sense to cash them out recently, ,could have raised him up to millionaire status for a while. Small wonder the always practical Japanese saw quality American made guitars as good hedges against inflation so they must have bought thousands of them. Type in almost any Gibson model on E-Bay and you'll find a wide variety available from Japan and they always are being offered as "Brand New" in their listing descriptions, The only way that could be true is if they were bought factory fresh, stashed in a vault (never played, of course) and now, for reasons the sellers only know, are being re-offered to American buyers. A fair number appear to be reasonably priced so maybe the phenomenon is dying out.

All good guitars are in Japan or at Joe Bonamassa’s house.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All good guitars are in Japan or at Joe Bonamassa’s house.

I think you're right about Joe Bonamassa...long ago, he crossed the line from being a guitar collector to being a guitar hoarder. I hear he has a whole wall of '59 LP's.  A few folks are still making money off music (and T-shirts!) and Bonamassa is one of them.

1 hour ago, John Shiflet said:

I think you're right about Joe Bonamassa...long ago, he crossed the line from being a guitar collector to being a guitar hoarder. I hear he has a whole wall of '59 LP's.  A few folks are still making money off music (and T-shirts!) and Bonamassa is one of them.

He can play, but plays with no soul.

I see Bonamassa’s guitar playing sorta the same way I see an autistic person learn to socialize. He paid very close attention to the style of BB, Albert King, Eric Johnson, etc and he mimics them perfectly. 

except the listener is usually aware of the mimicry and something feels strangely disingenuous about his music. I wish to some day be as great a player and as influential as Bonamassa, but I have no desire to actually listen to his music. 

I had the pleasure of chatting with Joe at the guitar show they hold at the OC fair grounds. I’m not sure if Joe still goes every year but he was very friendly and welcoming when I met him. He’s really just passionate about guitars and he knows so much about playing guitar and the history and everything. I’d love to hang out with him, get guitar lessons from him etc, but I don’t actually listen to his music at all

The LP is obviously the big dog in this sale, but I’ll be interested in seeing a Garnet Herzog prototype or something 

if you don’t know, Randy had a really unique distortion sound with tons of sustain and compression. This was achieved with some tube driven distortion units that were custom made for Randy, and later sold commercially as the Garnet Herzog

Randy Bachman's collection of Guitars was on display here in the city.   The 59 was a reissue on display, I can understand why. 
alot of the Guitars are Rogers, Hoyers, I think a SJ300.  A super 400.  Many others. 

On 4/20/2024 at 5:14 AM, OrdinaryNimda said:

I know Randy Bachman only through his BTO albums, where he did some great creative work. 
(Doing now some research on the "Guess Who", thanx for this forum, never heard of them before...)

I've always loved the Guess Who. some good stuff ...

• Like 1