Gibson Brands Forums

PSA I want to save you $20 bucks.

Posted (edited)

Boredom made me waste a set of strings. I bought a set of Martin Luxe Kovar strings, and forgot I had them. If you have a J45 and want to try these strings on that model, take a deep breath and walk away.

they say these strings are balanced. I found them tinny and brash. I suppose they may tame a bass heavy mid scooped rosewood Martin dread, but they took away the magic in my slope.

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Thanks 1

anyone know who makes Martin brand strings?

Even for Mando, I've never put a set on I like using.

I wander around on occasion trying different strings, but I am back to stringing things with D'Addario every time.

They stayed on for 48 hours. They settled in in a small way.  And now they are history. I’ve actually tried to like Martin Monels (retro) a few times in the past and it never really worked out. I should know better.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I’ve used just about every String on the market & use Martin Retro Monels (11’s) on my Gibson J-160E, which is essentially considered an Electric Guitar, that I use plugged in much of the time.. Although, they sound great Acoustic as well.. They sound better than Gibsons, D’Adario & many of the other Gucci priced Strings.. At least on my Guitar..

They have great Sound for Electric or Acoustic whereas all the others sound good on Acoustic Sound but awful on Electric Sound.. Or vice versa. The Martin Reyro Monels sound good for both..

It might possibly have something to do with the location of the P-90 Pickup & the Neck being set one fret further than other Jumbo Gibson Acoustics? I’m not an expert, just a thought..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Upvote 1