Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: The Hummingbird has landed

Posted (edited)

Despite the fretting  early in the week about difficulties returning a mislabeled guitar, it will not be going back! 😄

Everything I was hoping for.  Four years old and the engraved pick-guard is pristine. One “scratch” the guy described turned out to be only schmutz. So, just a tiny, nearly invisible jitter scratch on the back.  And that’s enough that I don’t need to be nervous about being the one responsible for keeping it pristine.  It even has the check list, warranty, and the case candy pack unopened.  Even with some harsh strings, it sounds great.  It will get the welcome home string change tomorrow once it settles in.

TjkHvsG.jpg

fRbClPA.jpg

And my first Gibson family portrait:

P5w9pc1.jpg

4VKZIgz.jpg

Darn, forgot about the banjo 😎

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Very nice, I'm glad it all turned out well. I could tell you were a little nervous about this delivery.

Nice collection.....

Thanks! Besides just normal shipping nerves, the real worry was if something was wrong the model didn’t match the receipt so I’d have a tough time returning it.  but yeah, all’s good. 

The perils of online guitar buying. Here's a few of my favorite experiences -

- I bought a vintage Harmony Nick Lucas off eBay. When I received it, the packaging was intact with no damage. When I took the guitar out of the undamaged Lifton case, it was split all around the guitar on the sides. When I contacted the seller, he denied any wrongdoing and told me I had to contact the post office and file a claim. I got eBay involved and got a full refund. I found out that he had filed a claim and got a refund from the post office. He asked me to return the guitar. eBay said the guitar belonged to the post office. I contacted the local postmaster and gave him all the information. He said I could drop it off at the post office and they would throw it in the dumpster, or I could dispose of it myself. I gave it to my Luthier who fixed it and used it for a few years at gigs. The eBay seller sent me a few threatening messages and I got him kicked off.

- Again on eBay, I bought a Gibson Kris Kristofferson SJ from UK. I schooled the seller on filling out the Customs form because with the guitar returning to its country of origin, there should be no duties owed. He didn't fill it out correctly and I had to go a few rounds with DHL but it got straightened out. I had to go to the local DHL and sign some papers and pick it up. When I picked it up, it was wrapped in bubble wrap, no box. I insisted on unpackaging it before I signed for it. Luckily it was okay.

- This one was not eBay but from a 5-star dealer and he was not at fault. UPS was the culprit. The most expensive guitar I've bought was a new Gibson L5 Premier.  Due to its value, I opted for overnight deliver from Arizona to Kentucky. The next day when I was expecting it, no show. I contacted the dealer who in turn contacted UPS. The guitar was shipped to Hawaii. They were able to immediately get it moving and I got it the next day with no issues.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dave F said:

The perils of online guitar buying. Here's a few of my favorite experiences -

- I bought a vintage Harmony Nick Lucas off eBay. When I received it, the packaging was intact with no damage. When I took the guitar out of the undamaged Lifton case, it was split all around the guitar on the sides. When I contacted the seller, he denied any wrongdoing and told me I had to contact the post office and file a claim. I got eBay involved and got a full refund. I found out that he had filed a claim and got a refund from the post office. He asked me to return the guitar. eBay said the guitar belonged to the post office. I contacted the local postmaster and gave him all the information. He said I could drop it off at the post office and they would throw it in the dumpster, or I could dispose of it myself. I gave it to my Luthier who fixed it and used it for a few years at gigs. The eBay seller sent me a few threatening messages and I got him kicked off.

- Again on eBay, I bought a Gibson Kris Kristofferson SJ from UK. I schooled the seller on filling out the Customs form because with the guitar returning to its country of origin, there should be no duties owed. He didn't fill it out correctly and I had to go a few rounds with DHL but it got straightened out. I had to go to the local DHL and sign some papers and pick it up. When I picked it up, it was wrapped in bubble wrap, no box. I insisted on unpackaging it before I signed for it. Luckily it was okay.

- This one was not eBay but from a 5-star dealer and he was not at fault. UPS was the culprit. The most expensive guitar I've bought was a new Gibson L5 Premier.  Due to its value, I opted for overnight deliver from Arizona to Kentucky. The next day when I was expecting it, no show. I contacted the dealer who in turn contacted UPS. The guitar was shipped to Hawaii. They were able to immediately get it moving and I got it the next day with no issues.

This ⬆️ is why I avoid shipping like the plague!  Really glad everything got worked out for you each time… sorry though about the busted one.  

So far with guitars we’ve had one bad experience out of four, where the top of a Taylor Mini was cracked from a hard blow to the box during shipping.  The guitar was in a soft case but well bubble-wrapped, except they had kindly packed a stack of boxed strings in the already tight front pocket.  You can see where the blow hit right where the strings were over that part of the bout, just like a mallet whacking a wedge. Snap.  But the shop was cool.  No trouble with the return and refund.  

Guitars are a new worry, but shipping in general can be a hazard around here.  I watched my really too old to be doing the job Fed Ex driver stand on my porch and let go from waist high a package slathered with “Fragile!” “Sensitive Electronics” “Do not Drop!”  stickers.  I made him wait while I opened the package and photographed the wreckage.  Then our lab went another week without the equipment.  

Another time I kept tracking the same joker as he persisted in driving a heavy but sensitive package around in his truck for two days, only to return it to the depot every night until the weekend when the younger driver could take care of it.  

I’m always thankful when things come by UPS, our route guy there is great.  

Very nice Rescue 'Bird- rescued from a potential thrashing at that North Carolina GC, that is. Hopefully you've already seen how it sounds on some classic Hummingbird songs, and the guitar's setup didn't need any tweaking. Nice 'burst on that one- my rosewood HB has a similar 'burst, although it's hard to get a sense of yours in the neutral colors in the room (an outside pic is always appreciated 🙂). 

Congrats, and happy NGD/weekend

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 62burst said:

Very nice Rescue 'Bird- rescued from a potential thrashing at that North Carolina GC, that is. Hopefully you've already seen how it sounds on some classic Hummingbird songs, and the guitar's setup didn't need any tweaking. Nice 'burst on that one- my rosewood HB has a similar 'burst, although it's hard to get a sense of yours in the neutral colors in the room (an outside pic is always appreciated 🙂). 

Congrats, and happy NGD/weekend

Thanks! and thanks for the pic pointer.  I will do outside that next time.  Of course, half the year, I’ll need to bundle them up in parkas  🥶

As far as the color goes, at least on my screen, it is pretty close.  I tried to give a better sense by setting it between the natural Studio and the Black BB.

The burst is very subtle with not much “cherry or sun” in it.  Maybe why it’s called “Heritage” Cherry Sunburst? The new one I played in my GC  here was also very quiet, but did seem to have a bit more color in the burst tones.  Looking today with a more discerning eye, I’m wondering if this one isn’t light-struck/faded because it was kept out in a sunny room. 

With everything else being unexpectedly perfect on it, this could explain why it was languishing in GC purgatory and marked down.

Well, I didn’t buy it to parade at guitar shows, so in the end it doesn’t really matter that much to me, as long as it plays well.  I always figure, YGWYPF.  If I wanted to drop the dough, I could have just bought the brand new one I tried that spun me to ‘birds instead of Js 😁

Edited by PrairieDog

Congratulaƨionz ✹ nothing like gettin' a Hummingbird home. It changes the scene completely.

Enjoy the guitar a lot

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Congratulaƨionz ✹ nothing like gettin' a Hummingbird home. It changes the scene completely.

Enjoy the guitar a lot

Thanks E! It’s already making itself heard, and I already am.  The sound makes a nice compliment to the DIF.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

DAΜN!     That's a PERFECT match to my 'Bird 12-String!

While it's beautiful....it takes a back seat to your DIF!

Well, you notice I did have the DIF step to the side just for a moment to let the new toy have a moment of it’s own 😄 

On that note about your twelver, the shops here are oddly saturated with 12 strings at the moment... even a couple birds.  I suppose at some point I’m going to have to bite on some version… but we’ve been strong so far 😄

31 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

On that note about your twelver, the shops here are oddly saturated with 12 strings at the moment... even a couple birds.  I suppose at some point I’m going to have to bite on some version… but we’ve been strong so far 😄

You can't go wrong with a 'Bird 12-String.... mine is simply magical!

in 2010, Leslie told me mine is the ONLY 'Bird Twelver (Right-Hand) made.   I suspect they made another Leftie.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dave F said:

You're one away from an intervention.

I’m only finding my enabling, er, I mean “inspiration” here on the forum, said the pot to the kettle 😎😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I’m only finding my enabling, er, I mean “inspiration” here on the forum, said the pot to the kettle 😎😀

Do as we say, not as we do. (I sound like a politician)

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silversurfer said:

Hummingbird’s are great. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.  Is that an L1 or an L3 in your group shot?

It’s a 1910 L1,  with the Patent Pending tailpiece.  The Hummer is great so far, gotta get some new strings on it though, I’m not sure if it doesn’t still have the originals from 2020 🙂

Edited by PrairieDog