Gibson Brands Forums

What truck is right for me?!?!

I'm looking into buying a truck. I'm wanting one that's not too expensive. Only looking to buy used. I'm wanting American-made only. Not too huge and decent gas mileage is ideal. I thought since about 85 percent of everyone on the forum is a gun-toting conservative republican you could help me find a model and make that suits me. I'm thinking either Chevy or Ford. I also want to make sure that I don't accidentally end up with a chinese fake.

Thank you.

Peterbilt.

Seriously....

New?

Ford.

Used?

Depends on the model year and your budget, but I like Chevy/GMC.

2 or 4 wheel drive?

Extended cab?

Long bed or short?

Will you be towing/hauling?

Need more info.

I'm a gun-totin', Libertarian, Buddhist dirt-farmer and I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 quad-cab somethingorother. It's the most expensive Badge to insure and it gets gawdawful mpg (about 13). But it's built like a tank and has served me very well. 'Course, I drive it only a few thousand miles per year and I live in the boonies where insurance is comparatively cheap so none of that's particularly compelling for me. Get one, don't get one, it doesn't matter, we're all gonna die. :-({|=

I like orange okay Mike, but that thing would be like wearing a prom dress for ditch-digging....

gun-toting conservative republican

you could help me find a model and make that suits me.

Does this mean that you too are a gun-toting conservative republican?

For starters, what kind of gun will you be carrying in your truck?

The console in my 2003 GMC was too small for my 10mm Glock, I had to get creative in stowing it.

Just sayin'.....

If you drive a lot, and you don't have a ton of disposable income, don't buy a full size...Get a nice used Ranger or Toyota with a V6 or I4...My .02

I have a Chevy Avalanche 2500 4x4 and it gets 10mpg city/13mpg hwy...but it looks cool, so I have that goin' for me...

What motor?

6.0?

I've only seen a few 3/4 ton Avalanches' date=' not very common, eh?[/quote']

8.1 L...496cid...

Burnt' orange with a 4" Rancho lift and some nice Weld wheels and BFG/ATs...

Chicks dig it...I had a Harley painted to match it...

Does this mean that you too are a gun-toting conservative republican?

For starters' date=' what kind of gun will you be carrying in your truck?

The console in my 2003 GMC was too small for my 10mm Glock, I had to get creative in stowing it.

Just sayin'.....[/quote']

Neo! Haven't seen ya for a while. Shot any liberals lately? How ya doing man?

Nope, quite far from it. I probably look like one though. I wear a lot of flannel, boots and am a wilderness-y type. Like trucks and guns as well.

Like guitars, I will not buy a foreign truck. I'm particularly fond of Chevy's. It seems like they get better mileage than comparable Fords which is also a bonus.

While I'll probably just end up looking on Craigslist in my area, I wouldn't mind some actual model suggestions as well.

I don't need an extended cab but it would be an added convenience.

As long as it doesn't add a helluva lot to the price and hurt the mileage, 4 wheel drive would be nice for peace of mind.

I may do some towing/hauling (possibly a horse trailer)

I'm indifferent to what the bed size is.

I loved my old Dodge Dakota quad cab V8 but if you don't need the extra cab space or power, a smaller V6 Dakota would be nice and have better gas mileage than mine had. My truck wasn't as tall as most trucks so you could put gear in easier and it rode like a car. The quad cab was big enough to fit a 4x10 bass amp, guitar amp, 3 guitars and two people if you folded the back seats down.

04dodge.jpg

I don't know if anybody's reading this or not, but...

I live in town, but in the middle of the country. Literally.

My wife and I both drive Jeeps.

If you need a pickup, either a full size Ford or Chevy will do. I hope Dodge keeps going because I've always been partial to Mopar.

But I personally wouldn't care for a pickup without enough room behind the seat for a guitar and amp.

That's something to think about.

Also, if you're in big snow and/or mud country, you definitely want fwd and high ground clearance. Where I live the California "oh, gee isn't it wonderful" electric car could get you dead in winter, likely dead in spring of fall. Hell, I hate the current "below a certain point on your battery forget starting your vehicle" computer games.

Of course, that big pickup may not get great gas mileage, but at least you can drive a few miles in relatively minor smow and mud that you can't in a car or smaller pickup.

Archived