Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 Slope Shoulder !?

Lars68

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Would this  "68 Gibson J45 slope shoulder SJ200"   qualify as a ' Frankenstein' ?      

There are two separate guitars. The '68 is a vintage guitar they have.  The Slope SJ200 is a new M2M they had built.

Edited by Dave F

23 hours ago, Dave F said:

There are two separate guitars. The '68 is a vintage guitar they have.  The Slope SJ200 is a new M2M they had built.

Thanks for pointing that out Dave.     I should have noticed the video title was actually referencing two of the half dozen instruments being plugged.  I saw both Gibsons at the end of the video -  but from  the title of the video, I couldn't tell if the 'and' meant two different guitars, or the morphing of two into the M@M.  Remembering the old J45 as being faded cherry and not paying any attention to years anymore.   "Is it an original  '68 or is it a 2024 '68?" 

I guess my point, if I have one, is that making more than one - 'one off' - results in guitars out there that are indescribable.   We've had the special runs of 'Limited Editions' -  Fifty ordered by a Five Star Dealer with a unique combination of specs.  But they mostly stay in their lane -  it's a J45 in maple, or an SJ200 in Mahogany.   We also saw, several years ago here  venerable member  One Wiley Fool put together a listing of variations on just the J45 - I think it hit 60 when you consider the Lime Greens and Pelham Blues  - would this M2M fall on a list of J45s or SJ200s?       It's neither!     Long neck and maple - but not a square shoulder, so not close to a Dove either!  So, ten years from now, someone here will be writing  "I remember seeing a J45 with an engraved pick guard, mustache bridge in long neck and maple - where can I find one?   Some one will write back "Don't remember that, but I have an SJ200 slope dreadnaught."   And the result will be -   "Gibson is inconsistent and unpredictable.  There is no such thing as a 'standard J45'.  You have to play it before you buy it."       " Frankenstein" was the only quick and dirty word I could throw out there to convey the feelings of torches and pitchforks I get when I see something like this. If they'd at least used a different pick guard, I probably wouldn't have thought it as eroding   the integrity of two very different iconic models by blending them.   Mad science, or crazy marketing ? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Thanks for pointing that out Dave.     I should have noticed the video title was actually referencing two of the half dozen instruments being plugged.  I saw both Gibsons at the end of the video -  but from  the title of the video, I couldn't tell if the 'and' meant two different guitars, or the morphing of two into the M@M.  Remembering the old J45 as being faded cherry and not paying any attention to years anymore.   "Is it an original  '68 or is it a 2024 '68?" 

I guess my point, if I have one, is that making more than one - 'one off' - results in guitars out there that are indescribable.   We've had the special runs of 'Limited Editions' -  Fifty ordered by a Five Star Dealer with a unique combination of specs.  But they mostly stay in their lane -  it's a J45 in maple, or an SJ200 in Mahogany.   We also saw, several years ago here  venerable member  One Wiley Fool put together a listing of variations on just the J45 - I think it hit 60 when you consider the Lime Greens and Pelham Blues  - would this M2M fall on a list of J45s or SJ200s?       It's neither!     Long neck and maple - but not a square shoulder, so not close to a Dove either!  So, ten years from now, someone here will be writing  "I remember seeing a J45 with an engraved pick guard, mustache bridge in long neck and maple - where can I find one?   Some one will write back "Don't remember that, but I have an SJ200 slope dreadnaught."   And the result will be -   "Gibson is inconsistent and unpredictable.  There is no such thing as a 'standard J45'.  You have to play it before you buy it."       " Frankenstein" was the only quick and dirty word I could throw out there to convey the feelings of torches and pitchforks I get when I see something like this. If they'd at least used a different pick guard, I probably wouldn't have thought it as eroding   the integrity of two very different iconic models by blending them.   Mad science, or crazy marketing ? 

The guitar condom must have broken during coitus.

• Haha 1