Gibson Brands Forums

More Concerts

Just got tix to see King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard. It’s at the Aretha Franklin Amphitheater in Detroit. It’s an all acoustic show on August 23rd. My cousin who lives in Bellaire, MI is meeting up with us for the show. The opener is a band called Geese.

On September 6th the wife and I are seeing Dweezil in Durham on his Rox(Postroph)y Tour. I’ve heard two different stories. I’ve heard he’s playing both the Roxy and Apostrophe albums in their entirety, and I’ve heard he’s just gonna be playing most of all of them so I’m not sure. Both albums are 50 years old. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Wife and I have seen Giz 2 or 3 times now. Last time was at Red Rocks and I really had a good time. It’s been a while since I’ve actually paid attention to their releases since they put out so much stuff, but last time I saw them they were sortof embracing a bit of a metal flavor and I really liked that a lot

I really really gotta see Dweezil though. Take a big rip for me when they do the “I can’t see, duh duh dum dum dum dummmm” with all the echoes and everything 

These ‘anniversary’ tours seem to be the thing for the old bands these days - and that’s great! - this year I’ve seen Dino Jr play their entire Where You Been album to celebrate its 30 years; Radio Birdman do their Birdman 5-0 tour for 50 years; and later in the year it’s The Saints on their 73-78 tour, basically 50 years from their first gigs. They all cost c$100 AUD ($65US) whereas a few years ago it was half that…but then so was a tank of fuel. [thumbup]

Posted (edited)

KGLW was $45. Dweez may have been $65. 

I’ll be in Michigan for KGLW and it’s a legal state, so I’ll do my civilian duty and visit a store.

KGLW are slowing down on releases. They have done some Metal stuff.  One thing no two Lizard albums are the same. Some are hit and miss, mostly hit.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The day after the concert my wife and I are going to London, Ontario, and then Windsor, Ontario. We were going to go to Montreal a month back, but airline prices were stupid. You know I’m hitting a weed store or 3. 

I would love to see the Dweezil Rox(postroph)y show. 

But none of the scheduled dates are near me. 
Well. 
Atlanta. 
But I have an aversion to Atlanta, GA that borders on hatred. 

I watched an interview with Dweezil when he was planning the concert, and funding the project by selling off a lot of his gear. 
I put in a bid on quite a few things, (guitars, pedals) but got out-bid every time. 

😒

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Karloff said:

Upcoming shows :

Tab Benoit,  Beth Hart, Walter Trout

Saw Tab in Pizza Restaurant in Hampton, VA. I was so close I could have gotten out of my seat taken 3 steps and I could have touched his guitar. He kept his slide in one of those dead gator heads. The stuff I heard Beth singing with Joe (I own all the good guitar and you don’t and they are too expensive and I’m gonna whine about it) did nothing for me. Walter I would go see.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I would love to see the Dweezil Rox(postroph)y show. 

But none of the scheduled dates are near me. 
Well. 
Atlanta. 
But I have an aversion to Atlanta, GA that borders on hatred. 

I watched an interview with Dweezil when he was planning the concert, and funding the project by selling off a lot of his gear. 
I put in a bid on quite a few things, (guitars, pedals) but got out-bid every time. 

😒

I hate being near Atlanta. And drive through it - hopefully never again.

I hope Canada is safe. Since the wife will be in tow, no red light district for me. Weeds stores are a go.

I read that about Dweez selling his gear to tour. If it were me I just would not tour.  There is no way you can say with 100% certainty you’re gonna make back the money by doing this. I guess when you are the caliber musician as he is, with no backing from a label, like c-rappy U2, or the Rolling Bones, this might be your only choice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Jeez Dweez, how much can a couple of tyres for the van and a tank or two of gas cost?

I read about it. He said for him and the band expenses are around 10k a day a day to fund everything,  and 200k before you even start, and you don’t start to actually make money till around the end of the tour. 

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/dweezil-zappa-says-it-costs-over-10000-a-day-to-go-on-tour/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Musicianomics.

How much does it cost The Stones to put on a tour? I’m sure they are long past renting a tour bus.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

38 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

That’s a shame - Tour bus would be perfect for their afternoon naps.

I’m sure they jet it privately to the next city and stay in the best hotels money can buy.

10k seems pretty econo-tour compared to ah, some:  It was estimated it took 9M to put on a single Taylor Swift Eras show.  And that doesn’t include the tips to the truck drivers:

Bz8opms.jpg

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

10k seems pretty econo-tour compared to ah, some:  It was estimated it took 9M to put on a single Taylor Swift Eras show.  And that doesn’t include the tips to the truck drivers:

Bz8opms.jpg

Yeah but not one is gonna have good music played.

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We were, I took a u-turn. At least they got a nice note a tip from Tay Tay.

Nod, but I gotta admit, I felt a little called out when I saw she was throwing around a hundred Gs.  We only managed to squeak out 5K bonuses to our employees last year.  She’s setting the bar kinda high

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Nod, but I gotta admit, I felt a little called out when I saw she was throwing around a hundred Gs.  We only managed to squeak out 5K bonuses to our employees last year.  She’s setting the bar kinda high

It’s the equivalent of $5 tip from us regular schmucks. That chick has tons of cash.  I don’t care what anyone says, her music is boring uninteresting pop music. It started out as boring uninteresting what’s called country music. My daughter and wife listen to her and yes I have heard her so called music. She is smokin hot.

I’m listening to The Tubes right now. 1000x more interesting than her drivel. WPOD

Edited by Sgt. Pepper