Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaner/polish - new J45

Fleeter

Gibson Pump Polish. I prefer it even over Virtuoso.

I use both, Gibson Pump Polish, Virtuoso Cleaner & Polish.

For instruments that need a good cleaning. Virtuoso Cleaner followed up with their Polish.

For all round Polishing after instrument has been cleaned, I use Gibson Pump Polish.

I use both' date=' Gibson Pump Polish, Virtuoso Cleaner & Polish.

For instruments that need a good cleaning. Virtuoso Cleaner followed up with their Polish.

For all round Polishing after instrument has been cleaned, I use Gibson Pump Polish.

[/quote']

You are the UN of guitar polish : )

I noticed Bob Colosi mentioned a few times. Can someone tell me a little about him? I see bridge pins by him mentioned and a bone saddle also.....do these add to the sound? Thanks.

Welcome Fleeter! Congrats on the J-45...great guitars!

Bob Colosi is the king of nuts saddles and pins! His customer service is 2nd to none and he is always available to answer questions either on the phone or on this forum as he sometimes pokes his head in here. He is also active over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum where he is a sponser I believe.

If you check out the pin selection you will likely want to be looking at the size 2A for Gibsons. (Not always' date=' but more often than not anyway...) I have his double inlay bone pins in my Advanced Jumbo and love the look. (I also just don't like plastic pins in my guitars.) For the most part, strings make the biggest difference in tone of a guitar followed by the saddle material, nut material and pins probably have the least affect. The nut doesn't matter as much as the saddle because when your fretting a string with your fingers it takes the nut out of any tonal equation. There are historical debates on this and other forums about the tonal differences between materials and such but bone seems to be one that most people agree transfers sound very nicely plus it looks good and last's a very long time.

Here is Bob's website... you should go take a look at his stuff when you get a chance.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Poke around in the search for threads about Bob as well... some interesting reading I bet! :-#

Welcome Fleeter! Congrats on the J-45...great guitars!

Bob Colosi is the king of nuts saddles and pins! His customer service is 2nd to none and he is always available to answer questions either on the phone or on this forum as he sometimes pokes his head in here. He is also active over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum where he is a sponser I believe.

If you check out the pin selection you will likely want to be looking at the size 2A for Gibsons. (Not always' date=' but more often than not anyway...) I have his double inlay bone pins in my Advanced Jumbo and love the look. (I also just don't like plastic pins in my guitars.) For the most part, strings make the biggest difference in tone of a guitar followed by the saddle material, nut material and pins probably have the least affect. The nut doesn't matter as much as the saddle because when your fretting a string with your fingers it takes the nut out of any tonal equation. There are historical debates on this and other forums about the tonal differences between materials and such but bone seems to be one that most people agree transfers sound very nicely plus it looks good and last's a very long time.

Here is Bob's website... you should go take a look at his stuff when you get a chance.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Poke around in the search for threads about Bob as well... some interesting reading I bet! :-#

I will add,,,,, the nut on your

J-45 is already bone! As someone explained on this forum some time ago, Gibson uses bone nut, with tusq saddles

for their guitars equiped with pickups!! Bone,& bone for guitars without pickups. I don't play plugged in , & removed the pickup from my J-45, I replaced the saddle, & plugged the hole where the pickup was with bone from Bob colosi.

The best investment I've made as far as polishing is concerned, was a Micro fiber polishing cloth. (also suggested to me by someone on this forum) I wipe my guitars down with that, after I play them, & they stay very nice.

Also congrats on the best guitar in the world!!.................PICS?

Love it, & it will love you back.

Thank you all for the welcomes and the tips. I'm really impressed with this forum and I'll definitely post a pic or two in the future of my J45. The nut on my J45 is black or dark brown, I think I read somewhere that they are made of a combination of graphite and something else?

Thank you all for the welcomes and the tips. I'm really impressed with this forum and I'll definitely post a pic or two in the future of my J45. The nut on my J45 is black or dark brown' date=' I think I read somewhere that they are made of a combination of graphite and something else? [/quote']

Hard to tell looking around their website. So far I'm not impressed with the new site. If the information is there at all, I don't know where it would be???

1st I've heard of black, or dark brown nut.

I wish they would share this kind of info with people.I don't think that's so much to ask!!

Don't listen to these guys - Ajax powdered cleanser and Windex mixed 50/50 are the ideal polish for that guitar. Put it on with a car buffer. Make sure you have the guitar clamped to the workbench good and tight so she don't fly on ya buddy!

And wear goggles. Those splinters can be real hard on your eyes.

Archived