Gibson Brands Forums

43 kids went home today from school!

dem00n

30 miles from my home, there were 5 possible cases reported over the week-end. Two grade and high school districts canceled classes for at least a week in response.

3 turned out to be confirmed cases. 2 in one school, one at a university. However, the university student hadn't been to campus for a week.

2 cases turned out to be your normal everyday garden variety seasonal flu

Of the confirmed cases, none was hospitalized and none was expected to be life threatening.

The one school where the case was confirmed NOT H1N1 will probably go back in session tomorrow. Other schools are pondering the necessity of closing schools, even if they get a confirmed case. The university has not even mentioned closure. Good too, as this is finals week.

As a point of reference, in your normal, everyday, garden variety, seasonal flu, of the millions who get infected, as many as 100,000 people are hospitalized. About 30,000 die in the US each year.

people love to panic' date=' why?[/quote']

It's the adrenalin rush. It's addictive. Why do you think horror flicks and "death defying" carnival rides are so popular?

Actually, I have seen schools close for the non-swine flu as well. When it's rampant in an area, it's really the only sensible thing to do. There has definitely been an over-reaction to this one. No need to close school when there are no cases, but it's not unreasonable to send home a kid with a fever. I've had to go pick up my kids more than once when they've developed a fever at school. Tend to be quite contagious at that point.

30 miles from my home' date=' there were 5 possible cases reported over the week-end. Two grade and high school districts canceled classes for at least a week in response.

3 turned out to be confirmed cases. 2 in one school, one at a university. However, the university student hadn't been to campus for a week.

2 cases turned out to be your normal everyday garden variety seasonal flu

Of the confirmed cases, none was hospitalized and none was expected to be life threatening.

The one school where the case was confirmed NOT H1N1 will probably go back in session tomorrow. Other schools are pondering the necessity of closing schools, even if they get a confirmed case. The university has not even mentioned closure. Good too, as this is finals week.

[/quote']

Update: Schools affected will be back in session by Thursday. School officials say further cases will not be cause for school closure. According to CDC, this current 'Mexican' flu is rather mild and school closures should not be needed.

Archived