Gibson Brands Forums

New guitars on the Gibson Web site - What do you want to see and hear about the guitar?

cander12

Hi Chris...

An old guy here recovering from all his teeth getting pulled... and not singlin' much with the guitar.... <grin>

I'm a neck freak. Width, perhaps several cross section drawings with comparison to others... nut, how the guitar is set up in terms of nut height and for what strings....

I hear what the young guys are saying about sound clips, but... I think perhaps a few clips showing the potential at different settings through a vanilla sort of neutral amp... (as in direct into a sound board of some sort.)

Where I live, it'd cost almost as much to drive somewhere to buy a specific guitar as the price tag, even though I'm literally at the geographical center of the US. <grin> So that leaves mail order.

Figure I'm an awful coward on mail order... Strings, pickups, whatever, yeah. A guitar? Not unless Gibson would sell a 335 for $150 or less. Even then I'd be very concerned.

So.... all the info available is good even to get me drooling. Well.... those tooth extractions did it in a way I don't care for, so....

Just some thoughts...

m

I hope you're feeling better soon Milo. I'm feeling the same way about my (hopefully) next purchase, which is a 339. Not too many stores carry them and I may to get it ordered directly from Gibson. Murph has done a good job convincing me to get one, but I like to play my guitars before I buy them (I played about 100 Les Pauls before I bought the one that called to me).

Hmm, maybe Gibson should have a haptic interface. Wouldn't it be neat if you can go to a music store that's wired to Gibson directly through the haptic interface? You then play on a haptic guitar at the store, with signals sent to Gibson and the guitar you want to play has its signals fed back to the device at the store. This way you "feel" and "hear" the actual guitar hundreds of miles away. It sounds out of this world but I think in a few years we'll have enough technology to do it...

Hi Chris...

I'm a neck freak. Width' date=' perhaps several cross section drawings with comparison to others... nut, how the guitar is set up in terms of nut height and for what strings....

I hear what the young guys are saying about sound clips, but... I think perhaps a few clips showing the potential at different settings through a vanilla sort of neutral amp... (as in direct into a sound board of some sort.)

m[/quote']

+1 on numerous cross-section illustrations & comparisons to other necks. (Nut also) It would be a good idea to also detail the setup specs as mentioned above. Also list neck construction specs if any, & neck/body joint specs, as well as chambering blueprints. People care about this stuff, and you guys charge a hell of a lot of money for your guitars. THESE ARE BIGGIES!!!

I realize you have to give the potential customer what they want (& many of them do seem to be interested in sound clips) I think the sound clip angle is ridiculous, personally. The player will color the guitar's sound, as will the amp, mic'ing it, compressing it into a computer file, and last but certainly not least, the playback speakers will color the sound like crazy. I know you kinda have to do the sound clip thing, so again, I'd agree with milo's suggestion on that too. But you kinda CAN'T do it, because it won't be 'sexy' enough. Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to sound clips...

Most of all, thanks for asking for our input! We recognize and appreciate that you're coming to us for advice... hope y'all do it more often. (although you're really braving the peanut gallery around here)

Did anyone say: complete, accurate specs for all guitars? If not, let me do so:

-- complete, accurate specs for all guitars.

Can't stress the importance of this. If it's already been said, let me say it again, since it bears repeating:

-- complete, accurate specs for all guitars.

Most makers of Gibson-quality guitars provide this info on their websites, as you would expect. I wish that Gibson would, too.

There are frequently posts on the acoustic forum from people wanting the complete specs for this or that model. Since they're not on the Gibson site, they look for them on dealers' sites, which are no better and often worse. Some members have actually contacted Gibson and been given inaccurate, conflicting information. The bottom line is, nobody knows for sure, and misinformation abounds. This is really unfortunate, to say the least.

Also, on the subject of the website: many forum members, myself included, have found it to be *very* slow to load, poorly designed, and lacking in useful pics of the instruments and sound files. Personally, I think the preceding design was *much* better.

Sorry if these comments appear overly critical. We *love* your guitars! They deserve a website that is worthy of them. The current one is not, IMHO.

my personal experience has been that a video of the guitar is always better than just a sound bite...that being said i know its more expensive to produce...but if you go on youtube you'll see hundreds if not tens of thousands of video reviews on guitars...most of the time that people are selling...

more often than not...videos of guitars sell the guitars faster than just pictures...

i like learning more about specific features of the guitar but you guys do a stellar job with that already!

just more videos/reviews...this way we have points to discuss on the forums to help people hone down their choices!

thanks for asking!

Chris, Welcome. Since everyone else has all the tech. stuff taken care of. I'll be the first to volunteer My services for testing any Gibson guitar that they want tested. Send it to my house with case and I'll give you a review on the guitar. Y'all have my address. So anytime. I'm here for ya. Later.=P~

Hey, I've not only volunteered to test, but also to have pro-level photos taken at the geographic center of the U.S. monument which just happens to be roughly a quarter mile from the house... <grin>

m

http://bellefourchechamber.org/

My home town has been designated by the federal government literally as the geographical center of the nation.

Has been for over a half century when Hawaii and Alaska joined the union as states rather than territories...

The big granite monument with the federal stainless steel marker is pretty new, though...

An old guy here recovering from all his teeth getting pulled... and not singlin' much with the guitar.... <grin>

I sincerely hope your recovery is going well and you are back to 100% (and to playing guitar) soon!

I hear what the young guys are saying about sound clips' date=' but... I think perhaps a few clips showing the potential at different settings through a vanilla sort of neutral amp... (as in direct into a sound board of some sort.)

[/quote']

+1=d>

thundergod...

Well, I'm cheating and not back at work. Odd, but I got my leg shattered a cupla years ago - both bones above the ankle - and didn't miss a day of work, although the @$#%@$# crutches slowed me down a bit.

Having all your teeth removed? Ain't fun.

So I'm taking time off. It was really funny to see a couple of days when the #$%@$#% fake teeth they gave me would clatter and stuff. Now I just sound funny. (See See Rider, for example, comes out as "Shee, Shee Rider")

anyway... Still picking. That's not as good as popping ibuprofen, but... hell, it ain't bad, either!!!!!

m

... Actually there have been times in my life when such comments were considered "smart" rather than "smart-***." <grin> That was when I was living the "city life" back east and discovered life's greatest challenge as a boarding school kid from cowboy country...

Now it's kinda one of those comments you can make in the cowboy back bar saloon - the real name, btw, if you're a local, and you might get by with the proper crease in your hat if not local... but wearing flipflops and bermies it may not be the right thing to say.

<chortle>

Hello Chris

Thank you for asking, it is much appreciated. I would welcome demonstrations with explanations and most importantly comparisons to other similar models showing what is so different about the new model.

eg

"this is the new Gibson Les Paul...as you can hear (demonstration) it has a really ....sound. Compared to the Custom (for example), it has a much more rounded sound due to the wood we used" etc etc

I would love that!

Matt

Yo cander12 sir newbie Dude, How about picking one of us Here at your Gibson USA Forum

for a chance to test out a New Model and Post it on youtube.

Or invite One or Two of us to Play a new Model Somewhere

Like this.

Just put in more Girls and keep out the Fenders and the Stupid Hats

and make sure the Sound comes through better.

If not, more Video's, lots of more Video's, but with Average Joes Jam-in out on them.

Just think about Tens of Thousands of Average Joes Hoping and Dreaming of the Possibility of

Maybe, just Maybe Playing one of Gibson's new lineup's on youtube for the hole world to see

and of Course you have to let them Keep it.

I know you can Make it Happen. More Contests with the Public voting for the Winner.

Archived