Gibson Brands Forums

Am I the only guitarist in the world that can't get the hang of a pick?

EdgarHF

I tried using a pick for several years, and it never felt right and I didn't seem to be getting anywhere. Then a couple years ago a good friend and good player told me to use a stiff pick for everything and to forget about a flexible pick. And about the same time I turn the pick around and started playing with one of the upper pick curves instead of the point.

All of a sudden, I really enjoy pick playing and do so 90% of the time. My playing has really gotten better the past year using a 1.14 rhino pick turned around using the flatter curve. I also really like the sound produced with this pick as it takes away the jangly treble sounds and highlights the "thunk". Interesting how much an acoustical guitar sound can be influenced by the choice of picks.

I play some fingerstyle and strum a lot using only fingers. I've only been playing 5 years and I have tried numerous times to use a pick but quickly lose interest. There are some excellent guitarists who use fingers only. I'm not one of them.

I dont like the plastic sound of the pick hitting the strings, I much prefer the organic sound and feel of fingers and flesh on string. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

If you wanna start plucking, I suggest a hard pick... At least 1 mm thick.

It gives you the right "attack". If you play with soft picks you'll end up banging on your strings. Doesn't sound good and shortens the life of your strings.

+

It forces you to develop the right sensitivity when attacking a lick. You will be a lot more expressive having a hard pick in your hands rather than a soft one.

Sorry. I had to make this point. I just can't stand the sound of soft pick on strings...

The other thing that helped me was using double-sided tape on picks' date=' which also helped the darn thing feel secure in my hand.[/quote']

Ditto for me. I started playing guitar ASSUMING that pick was easier than fingers and as a beginner I should start with a pick. I got all kinds of frustrated, but as a result had ignorantly made some good headway before using my fingers and finding the joy in that. I'm about 'mediocre plus' with both now, and enjoy switching back and forth. The hardest part for me was keeping it in place between my fingers for a whole song. The tape helped. Oftentimes it was always at the moment when I was most "into" a song that the pick would turn sideways and I would swear in front of my children which is never a good thing. :-

Tape...

I am basically a fingerstyle player using a pick maybe 1% of the time. I had not been practicing scales much and mostly learning new songs when practicing. The past few days I have decided I better get to doing scales again so I pulled my old copy of Mel Bays Complete Guitar Improvisation Book out of the closet. Running through scales I am finding I am utterly hopeless with a pick. Is anybody else out there pick challenged?

Using a pick, y ou don't have the tactile feed-back of touching a string and 'knowing' you're on the wrong one and therefore won't strum it.

Using a pick is a skill that is mastered through repetition. Repetition developes the fine muscle movements necessary to hit the right string. The more you flat pick, the better you get at it. You still catch a wrong string once in a while.

Any number of fine players made their mark w/out picks. Assuming you want to get it together...

Go slow. Dont clench (too much tension). Before going on to involved exercises, why not work on simple rolls and/or arpeggios?

That's more or less how I got over the finger picking hump. Good luck.

I play finger style picking which I learned from the mountains of North Carolina where I was raised / everyone I played music with did the same / I can use a pick at times but favor my finger style / I use all four fingers and I keep my nails on the right hand longer / I have my own style of playing and people enjoy my music so I guess I do something right, been playing my Hummingbird for 36 years and others ten years before that. My Gibson sounds off loud with my finger picking and will out play other guitars in volume with other players that use a pick.

It is good to play how you feel best for you and it is good to know how to play both styles.

Enjoy that Guitar and bring Joy to Others.

God Bless - Spanish Oak, NC :-

Archived