Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Setup

Rockin365

Ive not actually set a guitar up before (allways had it done).

Thing is it's not cheap and i want to do it myself.

I want to set the action a bit lower on my ibanez as am sure the guy in the shop didn't have much of a clue (the tech guys day off) and it was free!

Is there procedure to follow for adjusting things?

The truss rod is the bit that scares me coz i dont wanna damage my guitars.

Thanks in advance of any advice. :-({|=)

I do the set ups myself. I have a '78 Les Paul standard with low wide frets and I wouldn't ever let anyone touch them unless it is completely unplayable but I will probably be dead by then and my kids can deal with it.

I had the first couple of setups done professionally. I'll take it from there. It's not rocket science and nobody cares more for my guitars or know my preferences better than me, so I know I'll do the best possible job of it. I think it was a good idea to let a pro do it first just so that I could see for myself what a reasonably good setup looks and feels like.

I'm now contemplating whether I should change the nut on my LP or if I should leave it to the local workshop. Maybe I'll spend the dough on the special tools and do it myself... Considering that the shop did a poor job last time, filing a slot too deep, I'm leaning toward the DIY route. BTW, I fixed that slot with the help of the forum, as represented by Mr. AXE :-)

DJ

--

I do a lot myself but I also take all my guitars to a luthier at least once a year. This is done for two main reasons: 1) to correct my mistakes (he he he); actually to check the big items, like frets, which are beyond my capability, and 2) to support our local tradesmen (honest work deserves honest and decent pay).

...the big items' date=' like frets...[/quote']

Yeah, fretwork is for the pros. I guess fretwork is considered setup work too(?)

How often do you guys have frets changed or dressed? I've only had my Gibsons for a few months so I have no reference yet.

DJ

--

Do it myself even frets but honestly never have to change more than the first seven frets on one of my own guitars. usually a good set-up and a bone nut are the primary changes on any new guitar.

Fret work takes some special tools and a little practice but not really much to it, I learned building guitars the first several in a class though so it was good to have a pro there helping the first couple times.

Archived