Gibson Brands Forums

Hello Everyone - New Gibson acoustic owner here

HNS

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just received my first Gibson Acoustic- a songwriter deluxe - after 34 years of playing.

So cheers everyone ... Its nice to be here.

Hisham

Eqypt?? WOW!! I love the internet! Welcome to the forum Nayoud! Congratulations on your new guitar. What's the selection of guitars like in your part of the world?

Hello Karen

Egypt is oud and microtonal land ! I'm sure you know the middle eastern fretless oud? ... there is an excellent international/multicultural resource here www.mikeouds.com

I'm actually in Maryland right now.. but will go back home with my gibby and my other guitars in a few months.

Thanks for the welcome ... I've owned many guitars in the past, but the songwriter is just the tone i needed.

Cheers

Hisham

Welcome to the nut house! Good people here. Beware the Lounge' date=' though. Tell us more about the 34 years of playing...

You must know we require photos of your Songwriter. Rules of the road. [/quote']

Yes, don't enter the Lounge without a bullet proof vest.

And, I need to know the first song you played on your new guitar, if you can remember. How are you going to get the guitar overseas.... or are you just leaving it in maryland?

Sure ...I will post pictures as soon as I figure how to do it ...

Well I started playing in 1975 on my brothers old sears guitar we bought from Washington DC in 1973.

Then I played electric guitars throughout the eighties and early nineties, then reverted to playing purely acoustic instruments since probably 1996/7. During the past four years in the US I had four Larrivee 's (I still have one) a Taylor GS8 that i didn't like too much and sold, a German lakewood, and a martin D-28 which I recently sold to buy a D-21 (neck width issue). I also have a Am Dlx strat as well.

The only Gibby I ever owned was a used Les Paul standard I bought from London in 1984.

Karen

The first song I played on my guitar was country roads by John Denver....with regards to getting the guitars home, that is one issue I've been thinking of quite a bit and have discussed it extensively on the Larrivee forum.

Basically, I have a few options, send it in a container by sea (bad idea), ship it via FEDEX, or try to ship it accompanied luggage in a good case like Carlton or Hiscox. I think its no longer possible to take a guitar on board with you on an overseas flight. I remember buying a a Yamaha acoustic folk guitar from Japan and had no problem taking it with me on board. Unfortunately, I've heard in another forum that that is no longer possible from the US at least.

I'm more of a hobbyist, a couch guitar player, but hey its fun anyway!

Cheers

Hisham

Welcome Hisham! Yes, this is a pretty cool bunch of folks. A lot of knowledge about Gibson Acoustics here! I, most of the time, are intimidated by the vast amount of experience by the folks here. I'm certain you will enjoy your new guitar very much. Like the rest of us, there's nothing like a new Gibson! Like BuckMaster says, pics of your new guitar are required!!! Glad to have you aboard!

Welcome to the Forum. You have yourself a nice guitar there. If you have trouble taking it back home with you, just ship it to me and I'll take care of it for you until you get back! Bethesda is a nice place as I recall. I spent a year at Ft. Belvoir just outside Alexandria, Virginia in a different lifetime. Good Luck!!

Sure ...I will post pictures as soon as I figure how to do it ...

Well I started playing in 1975 on my brothers old sears guitar we bought from Washington DC in 1973.

Then I played electric guitars throughout the eighties and early nineties' date=' then reverted to playing purely acoustic instruments since probably 1996/7. During the past four years in the US I had four Larrivee 's (I still have one) a Taylor GS8 that i didn't like too much and sold, a German lakewood, and a martin D-28 which I recently sold to buy a D-21 (neck width issue). I also have a Am Dlx strat as well.

The only Gibby I ever owned was a used Les Paul standard I bought from London in 1984.

Karen

The first song I played on my guitar was country roads by John Denver....with regards to getting the guitars home, that is one issue I've been thinking of quite a bit and have discussed it extensively on the Larrivee forum.

Basically, I have a few options, send it in a container by sea (bad idea), ship it via FEDEX, or try to ship it accompanied luggage in a good case like Carlton or Hiscox. I think its no longer possible to take a guitar on board with you on an overseas flight. I remember buying a a Yamaha acoustic folk guitar from Japan and had no problem taking it with me on board. Unfortunately, I've heard in another forum that that is no longer possible from the US at least.

I'm more of a hobbyist, a couch guitar player, but hey its fun anyway!

Cheers

Hisham[/quote']

Awww, Country Roads..... I love that song. John Denver was the best.

How many guitars are you taking with you on the flight? I know you can buy them a seat, but that's costly.

I'm trying to confine myself to three :- .. hopefully that is:-" . We also have an extra voucher, my son and I, that we can use to ship the guitars.

Cheers

Hisham

• 5 weeks later...
Egypt is oud and microtonal land ! I'm sure you know the middle eastern fretless oud?...

I love the oud (and its cousin' date=' the lute (whose name comes from "oud")), and one day dream of learning to play it. My favorite oud player:

. I have a number of his CDs, which are wonderful. (For the record, my favorite lute player is
). It's nice to mention these instruments -- distant cousins of the guitar -- on this forum.

Welcome aboard.

I love the oud (and its cousin' date=' the lute (whose name comes from "oud")), and one day dream of learning to play it. My favorite oud player:

. I have a number of his CDs, which are wonderful. (For the record, my favorite lute player is
). It's nice to mention these instruments -- distant cousins of the guitar -- on this forum.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks Jayla

Munir Bashir is great, he has this sense for "fusion" that very few have when it comes to Middle Eastern Music. Have you heard his Raga CD? I'm also learning to play India Classical Music on the Bansuri and have experimented (unsucessfully, completely that is#-o ) to produce an acceptable Arabic/Indian fusion.

Paul O'Dette is also great ... I have this weakness for Medieval and Renaissance music (like De Baif) as well as Baroque lute music ... The nice thing about that medieval lute that Paul O'Dette was playing is its ability to readjust the frets .... like a Saz or a Sitar ... with that you can play in just intonation and with micro tones.... Very interesting. Thank you.

krasiparvanov

Thanks for the kind words. I was just playing on it a few minutes ago, I tried out some chord progressions on a my newly bought but used Genz Benz amp and then I played some finger picking in the Key of D major (alternately with my Larrivee L-05). The nice thing about the SWD is the neck width, it gives me the possibility to play anything on it with total ease.

Mnogo blagodarya/ Spasiba

Munir Bashir is great' date=' he has this sense for "fusion" that very few have when it comes to Middle Eastern Music. Have you heard his Raga CD? [/quote']

No, I haven't heard it -- is it any good? I'm always a little worried about this type of "fusion," though sometimes I'm happy with the results (like some of the Khaled/Don Was stuff).

I have this weakness for Medieval and Renaissance music (like De Baif) as well as Baroque lute music ...

Ditto. I love both the vocal and instrumental music from the Medieval/Renaissance, and Baroque instrumental (mostly string) music. There are a few YouTube videos of O'Dette playing the Baroque guitar -- quite nice.

The nice thing about that medieval lute that Paul O'Dette was playing is its ability to readjust the frets .... like a Saz or a Sitar ... with that you can play in just intonation and with micro tones.... Very interesting.

I agree the adjustable frets are interesting, but I'm challenged enough with the immobile ones! I've never fiddled (pun intended) with the others.

Hi Hisham. Well done on your new Gibson. Regarding carrying your guitar on board, I know it can be done as you leave the US. I took my Gibson on board only a month ago from California to Australia, and have done so a few other times over the past 3-4 years. Every airline will have a different policy, and you may want to call ahead to check. It may also differ based on your departure airport and final destination.

Here are my suggestions-- arrive at the gate a bit early, and try to get on the plane as early in the boarding process as possible. Once on board ask if there is a closet where you can put the guitar (there usually is) or take an overhead space if available (this is why boarding early helps). I find most crew to be very helpful if you smile a lot and act as though you have done it 20 times before.

However, just in case you need to gate check the guitar, be sure to pack up the interior of the case as though you were going to ship it (de-tune, elevate the neck heel, etc), and put fragile decals on the exterior. Good luck, and enjoy!

Hello Jayla

The Raga Roots CD is the best I have heard in Arabic/Indian fusion, its still not as good or mature as Arabic/Western (Gabor Szabo, Stephen Athanas, Nabil Khemir) or Indian/Western fusion attempts (John Mclaughlin, Ananda Shankar, Catherine Potter, John Wubbenhorst), but there aren't too many CD's like that out there that I'm aware of. Edward Powell has had a few attempts as well http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardpowellmusic

but i agree with you, most of the fusion attempts have something missing, but its still interesting I think.

With regards to O'Dette I'm downloading a couple of his CD's..thanks much for the tip.

Yaz1009, congrats on your new Gibby, I had swayed between the AJ and the SWD for sometime, before I settled on the latter, both great guitars though. Yes, I have read a couple of Mahfouz's works, in English (blush), will fix that when I go home in summer.

SuperG

Thanks thats good advice, I bought a Hiscox case for my Gibby for the ride back home. I also intend to take my larrivee on the plane as well. However, one, or maybe the two would have to go through cargo handling, I don't know if putting them in a guitar cardboard box will help much, but will have to contact the airline as you said. My main concern is Cairo airport. Cargo handling there is faster than any airport I have been through, unfortunatley accidents happen more often as well :-

Cheers

Hisham

Hello Jayla

The Raga Roots CD is the best I have heard in Arabic/Indian fusion, its still not as good or mature as Arabic/Western (Gabor Szabo, Stephen Athanas, Nabil Khemir) or Indian/Western fusion attempts (John Mclaughlin, Ananda Shankar, Catherine Potter, John Wubbenhorst), but there aren't too many CD's like that out there that I'm aware of. Edward Powell has had a few attempts as well http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardpowellmusic

but i agree with you, most of the fusion attempts have something missing, but its still interesting I think.

With regards to O'Dette I'm downloading a couple of his CD's..thanks much for the tip.

Yaz1009, congrats on your new Gibby, I had swayed between the AJ and the SWD for sometime, before I settled on the latter, both great guitars though. Yes, I have read a couple of Mahfouz's works, in English (blush), will fix that when I go home in summer.

SuperG

Thanks thats good advice, I bought a Hiscox case for my Gibby for the ride back home. I also intend to take my larrivee on the plane as well. However, one, or maybe the two would have to go through cargo handling, I don't know if putting them in a guitar cardboard box will help much, but will have to contact the airline as you said. My main concern is Cairo airport. Cargo handling there is faster than any airport I have been through, unfortunatley accidents happen more often as well :-

Cheers

Hisham

Archived