Gibson Brands Forums

Garth Brooks

Californiaman

The s.o.b. cost me over 15 grand. You see, he used to live a mile south of me (right outside of Tulsa) in his fancy compound. A few years ago they were going to widen a highway that went past his house. Not wanting to have a 4-or 6-lane highway going past his house good ol' boy Garth sicced his team of lawyers on it and, long story short, they ended up putting the highway next to my house, not his.

Literally. They made the guy in the corner house next to me move then they tore down his house and used his lot to build the new lanes, which put them right next to my house. The noise was unbearable.

Needless to say I put my house up for sale. I couldn't give it away as nobody wants to live next to a major highway. I ended up selling it for a huge loss (which I'm still trying to recover from).

So that a**hole Garth Brooks will be on my permanent sh!t list as long as I live.

As long as I'm raggin' on him I'll tell you another story. A person I know used to work for him (I can't say who without dropping the dime) and told me that he's one of the cheapest s.o.bs on the planet. He had to fly to London once to meet with Garth about something and said that Garth had put the band and roadies up in a real dump of a hotel there. When he complained about it one of the band members told him "this is how he always puts us up. He stays in 5-star hotels but puts us up in crapholes like this".

The s.o.b. cost me over 15 grand. You see' date=' he used to live a mile south of me (right outside of Tulsa) in his fancy compound. A few years ago they were going to widen a highway that went past his house. Not wanting to have a 4-or 6-lane highway going past his house good ol' boy Garth sicced his team of lawyers on it and, long story short, they ended up putting the highway next to my house, not his.

Literally. They made the guy in the corner house next to me move then they tore down his house and used his lot to build the new lanes, which put them right next to my house. The noise was unbearable.

Needless to say I put my house up for sale. I couldn't give it away as nobody wants to live next to a major highway. I ended up selling it for a huge loss (which I'm still trying to recover from).

So that a**hole Garth Brooks will be on my permanent sh!t list as long as I live. [/quote']

Isn't America Just Great.

I feel for you. That really sucks.

Money and influence. He should have paid for the two houses.

Just saying.

Well...

I can understand stuff like Tulsaslim's feelings pretty well.

OTOH, anybody who got along with Kaycee's late Chris Ledoux can't be all bad.

Nice folks, the Ledoux family. Chris put on a helluva show as cowboy underground. I may love Bach, but... What the heck, I just got back from a rodeo committee meeting for the state high school finals. Hmmmm.

m

... for what it's worth, I've seen it go both ways - the rich guy getting away with stuff and to the contrary, getting zapped by a jury very likely because they didn't like somebody having the money.

I don't care much for either.

He's the Madonna of country music

We finally agree on something. I would only add that he doesn't seem to have the longevity that Madonna has.

Garth was one of only two concerts I have walked out on in my life. When he started singing to a rose that was all I could take. Out I went.

guitarest...

Check out "good ride, cowboy" on youtube. It's Garth, but singing about Chris.

You're right, too, in the more "rock" sorta thing for Garth - and Chris Ledoux.

Chris, a real pro rodeo riding cowboy, wrote one I kinda like about even cowboys likin' rock 'n' roll. It's pretty much the truth. You can only do "whoopie tie yi oh" so many times. And yuh can't dance to it much, either.

Of course... since I'm so old, I'd neeeeever think of playing loud rock stedda cowboy songs under my hat. No sir. Not at all. Well... maybe... <huge grin> But I leave the hat and boots on when I do.

Yes, and I'll defend my position.

Country music did have its Icons and great players. However for a whole generation of music lovers, the cheatin' song where the wife/husband is sad because he/she wants to cheat/has been cheated but still loves the guy/girl needed a makeover.

Country musicians stood on the stage, no energy, singing their songs.

The music, for the most part, was depressing. Even the upbeat songs. Along came Garth. He injected energy, vitality and an upbeat attitude that changed the industry and paved the way for some really energetic musicians who could actually play their instruments very well.

Without Garth, would we have good guitar players like Paisley, Urban (say what you will about his pop image, the guy can play guitar), and other good rock/blues influenced sessions players that we hear on a lot of country albums now?

Country music needed a facelift, Garth gave it.

Archived