Gibson Brands Forums

Calling all amp docters! I think I have a problem!

Basshole

I have a Fender Bassman 135

When the amp is on my amp will occasionaly make a "snowy TVish sound then a loud pop"

It sometimes just makes a "Snowy Tvish sound and get softer then louder"

I hit the top of the amp and the sound will go away.

It also makes a woopie cushion type squeel as well.

Anybody now what the problem might be?

If you can whack it on top, and it fixes it.....

It's a Peavey.

If it just makes it better, it's either a Chinese Fender, or less.

Buy a Mesa.

Just sayin'.....

I have a Fender Bassman 135

When the amp is on my amp will occasionaly make a "snowy TVish sound then a loud pop"

It sometimes just makes a "Snowy Tvish sound and get softer then louder"

I hit the top of the amp and the sound will go away.

It also makes a woopie cushion type squeel as well.

Anybody now what the problem might be?

I'd leave it alone!

In addition to the bass tone, you've got static *and* a whoopie cushion sound you can play with, turning 'em on and off by hitting the amp (my preferred method, too). Consider them special effects that you didn't have to pay for and that probably no other bass player has in that combination.

BTW, just noticed that your user name has provoked the censors.

I'm shocked you are not hip to the Carvin Bass rigs, dude. I played bass for many years, off, and on.

My R1000 will cause an Earthquake.

The new stuff looks good to me.

"Fender" ? bass rigs?

Are you a gigging bass player?

Best to ya.

Murph.

I'm shocked you are not hip to the Carvin Bass rigs' date=' dude. I played bass for many years, off, and on.

My R1000 will cause an Earthquake.

The new stuff looks good to me.

"Fender" ? bass rigs?

Are you a gigging bass player?

Best to ya.

Murph.[/quote']

I have never tried carvin bass amps

I do have GK BL 300 head and 4x10 if all goes wrong.

I play in a college band, were currently booking dates as of now. I have Ampeg 8x10 from the 70's

Sounds like a transformer. Get it checked out before it does more damage.

While it's in the shop, have the tech install a cooling fan. You won't have any more transformer problems, and your tubes will last twice as long.

If you can whack it on top' date=' and it fixes it.....

It's a Peavey.[/quote']

Or a Marshall Microstack from the 80's. I have one and it's been to the shop several times for that and a bad input. Great sounding solid state amp, but it's been a lot of trouble.

I agree with Dave. Sounds like a leaking capacitor. Any good amp tech can track it down and replace it.

Exactly why I was asking what year the amp is. Those electrolytic caps are not made to last for ever.

You can look at them yourself to see if they are leaking or damaged. Just do NOT touch them or any other part inside your amp even after you un-plug it.

If you pull the back panel off and look at the board they will be the big caps to the far left. Look for signs of something wet leaking out at one end OR if there is a buldge in/on the cap - probably at one of the ends where the wire is.

DO NOT TOUCH anything inside the amp once you have access to the inside. If you feel the urge to poke around then get a wood chopstick (order some chinese food), keep one hand in your pocket and poke with the chop-stick. But, really it's best if you don't poke around.

Have the filter Caps replaced.

Not the filter caps! While they may need replacement they are not likely the source of this noise. It will be one of the small caps in the preamp section of the amp that generates a hissing, popping, coming-and-going kind of symptom.

Archived