Gibson Brands Forums

Parker & Bailey Natural Lemon Oil on Fret Board ???

rogerer

I recently have received some terrific advice on this forum about caring for my frets and fingerboard ( see WORRIED ABOUT MY FRETS april 27 ) and everything has worked out fine. But now I want to experiment with other products on a crappy $100 guitar. WHY ? The main reason is because when I was on the hunt for some boiled linseed oil , I started getting all of these different suggestions , 1 which threw me for a loop because it was from a Luthier here in Seattle and he said a certain kind of LEMON oil on the fret board. I stuck with the linseed oil but now I have a buddy who wants to try a brand called PARKER & BAILEY NATURAL LEMON OIL POLISH. I think it's a blend because it says "polish" on it as well but I looked online and cannot find the ingredients to see if there is any silicone or anything else that I don't want in there. Has anybody ever heard of or used this particular brand on a guitar. Any help on this specific product or any general lemon oil vs. linseed oil information would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day !

I have a buddy that collects rifles... He has used Boiled Linseed oil for years on the stocks and they all look perfect to me. I have only put boiled linseed oil on my boards (and only once on my Taylor Ebony board as it just doesn't ever need it) but at least once or twice a year on my rosewood boards. Never been a problem and the wood grain always "POPS" when I am done. I guess I am in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd here with the boiled linseed oil.

Google "FretDoctor" and read up on the oil he sells. It was originally developed as bore oil for woodwind instruments like clarinets, oboes, and wooden flutes, to keep them from drying out. Is is not cheap but a small bottle will last you a lifetime, as a drop goes a long way. He makes a good case that the popular oils used on instruments all have severe drawbacks or limitations. Read and decide for yourself. I bought some, and I am a supreme cynic.

The chap who makes Fret Doctor oil writes this about so-called "lemon oil":

Lemon Oil, Almond oil, Walnut oil, etc., if food grade, are probably O.K., but make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates. Solvents can weaken any adhesives used in instrument construction. Be aware that most "lemon oils" are no more than lemon-scented mineral oil, as are most bore oils. Real lemon oil is quite acidic, with a pH of 3.7 to 4.2. It is an effective cleaner, but wipe it off when you are finished. Rosewood oil does not even come from the same plant that your fretboard wood came from, not even the same country! It is consists mostly of an aromatic solvent with a Rosewood oil scent added.

I recently have received some terrific advice on this forum about caring for my frets and fingerboard ( see WORRIED ABOUT MY FRETS april 27 ) and everything has worked out fine. But now I want to experiment with other products on a crappy $100 guitar. WHY ? The main reason is because when I was on the hunt for some boiled linseed oil ' date=' I started getting all of these different suggestions , 1 which threw me for a loop because it was from a Luthier here in Seattle and he said a certain kind of LEMON oil on the fret board. I stuck with the linseed oil but now I have a buddy who wants to try a brand called PARKER & BAILEY NATURAL LEMON OIL POLISH. I think it's a blend because it says "polish" on it as well but I looked online and cannot find the ingredients to see if there is any silicone or anything else that I don't want in there. Has anybody ever heard of or used this particular brand on a guitar. Any help on this specific product or any general lemon oil vs. linseed oil information would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day ![/quote']

Hi brians56,

I use Gerlitz Guitar Honey If you can find some, it works great on fingerboards.

Sal

I have been using Guitar Honey for Fret boards and been very happy with it. In fact when I first got my Les Paul the fretboard was all white and chalky from being dry ....one application and it has looked great ever since !!

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/prd_honey.html

This is from thier FAQ's - The Guitar Honey won't hurt a nitrocellulose finish.

Without giving away our formula, I can tell you that 'Guitar Honey' is a mineral oil based formula, which is blended with a very high grade of mineral spirits (for cleansing) along with other proprietary ingredients which give a smooth (not greasy) feel & finish to an instrument's fingerboard. It contains NO silicones or other ingredients which would be harmful to an instrument's fingerboard, frets, binding, finish, inlays or structural adhesives, when used as instructed.

It is like $7 from Guitar Center for a nearly lifetime supply .....just buy it and why worry about doing something that might damage your guitar ??

I just bought some Gibson "Luthier's Choice" fretboard conditioner. I thought cool, something made by Gibson, thats what I want on my Gibson. Now that I have it at home I see it says Gibson gear. Is Gibson gear Gibson? is Gibson Gear good?

I think the confusion is around the "L" in Lemon and Linseed. Plus, you see lemon oil wood conditioning production for furniture.

Boiled linseed oil is a good conditioner for rosewood and ebony fretboards (not maple) but lemon oil will cause more problems than it is worth. Even linseed oil should be used sparingly (a little on a cloth, wipe on, let sit for a minute and wipe dry) and only once a year... twice in dry climates.

• 10 years later...