Gibson Brands Forums

Educate me, what would be the risk of buy GM stock?

Riffster

Stock Market questions on a Guitar Forum? Talking about the Economy on a Guitar Forum is one thing, asking for Stock MArket advice is quite another.

I tell you what, I'll give you the only possible sound piece of advice you can get.

Talk To Your Broker.

At Seventy Five cents a share…Yeah' date=' I’d take a gamble![/color']

I did.

Not sure how much I paid for it, I'm waiting for my account to update.

There's a good chance that the stock will be rendered worthless thru the restructuring and I'm out the money.

On the other hand, with every man, woman and child giving $200 to GM before they were forced into bankruptcy by the Obama administration, if I can make at least some of it back I'll be ecstatic.

It closed at $.75 Friday and fell to about two bits a share before going back up.

Looks like it closed today up 7 cents at 82.

Stock Market questions on a Guitar Forum? Talking about the Economy on a Guitar Forum is one thing' date=' asking for Stock MArket advice is quite another.

I tell you what, I'll give you the only possible sound piece of advice you can get.

Talk To Your Broker.[/quote']

Relax a little bit. I was not asking where I should invest my lifetime savings...those are already in the crapper since last September...

When the company continued to crank out gas guzzling behemoths... even though gasoline prices was in the stratosphere and foreign competition was selling small cars like hotcakes in a lumber camp

When's the last time you bought a new car?

What did you spend YOUR money on?

:-)

GM SUCKS at building small cars.

I know lotsa people who own Cavaliers for commuting to work (we're pretty remote at my jobsite) as well as Malibus and Cobalts. Lotsa older Grand Ams and such too.

They're pieces of sh!t' date=' but could be bought for squat with only a few thousand miles on them.

They drive 'em till they die and go get another one, because they are cheaper than a comparable import.

They also own their "regular" car or truck of various types, but leave them at home.

Nobody [i']wants[/i] those sh!t-box cars.

They are purchased with all the same consideration of a refrigerator or other appliance.

"Does it have the features I like in the color I want? A/C and a radio? I'll take it....."

People WANT a Corvette, or a new Camaro - if they can afford it.

People WANT a Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, 1/2 ton truck or a big diesel.

That's why they've spent 30, 40 or 50 thousand dollars a pop and drive 'em 200,000 miles.

They also last MUCH longer than any little sh!t-box car, and and maintenance is a breeze on them.

Parts are readily available because there's half a million of them built every year.

I challenge you to get a quote to replace the transmission in a 5 year old GM truck - and a 5 year old front-drive Cavalier.

May as well call the salvage yard to come get the Cavalier....

I have a 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4 with a 454 in it, has well over 100,000 miles on it.

My wife's S-10 has almost 140k.

Neither have required much beyond brakes and batteries in their lifespan.

"Everybody" wants a hybrid or electric car huh?

When gas hit $4 a gallon, there were some brisk sales.

Gas fell, so did their sales.

Everybody wants them, but nobody buys them.....

Makes it hard to trust the company.

Don't invest in them' date=' don't buy their product.

The current CEO of Ford, when he took office, asked his people, "What was our big money maker last year?" They told him, quite proudly, "The TAURUS."

"Grand," said he, "How many do we plan to build next year?"

"None," said they, "we've drop the product."

Whatever....

They did NOT drop the product.

It was replaced with a new design of a very similar car and given a new name.

You can still buy basically the same front-drive, V-6 powered sensible sedan from Ford.

No surprise' date=' still, Ford took no bail-out money. Seems Ford changed it's captain just in the nick of time. The GM board of directors didn't get the hint. I still don't think they do.[/quote']

Ford is the ONLY car company that will get my money now if I buy a new vehicle.

Unlikely though, I rarely buy new.

Almost bought the wife a new Mustang GT at the first of the year, changed our minds.

Ford will now be at a substantial competitive disadvantage now that Gov't Motors and ChryUAWsler has Obama in the driver's seat. They no longer need to turn a profit because they are "too big to fail" for sure.

Obama just sealed that with $100 billion given generously by all of us here.

Get out your McMaster Carr catalogue boys... Look under "C" C-l-u-e. Now buy one.

Thanks' date=' I'm very familiar with my McM/C account and I can find what I [i']need[/i] just fine....

:-)

I am looking at GM stock and I see it at around $1.60.

Could they really go kaput? I mean could they go to $0.05 a share or something crazy like that?

Could this be the bottom?

Say if I invest $1' date='000 and loose then it is only $1,000 but if their stock goes up to say $20 in a few years then I make $12,000 or so.

What is your take?[/quote']

I wondered the same thing, but as I understand the "financial experts" when a company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the shareholders are pretty much SOL. They are last at the table when it comes to recouping any damages. It looks like it would be a good deal, but it's pretty much throwing your money away.

Archived