Gibson Brands Forums

GOTW Future Value??

Tim Plains

I bought the week 32 SG - satin black with EMG pickups. I absolutely love it!

Every guitar of the week was a limited run of 400. Do you guys think these will ever appreciate? Not just mine, but all GOTW guitars. I don't believe in buying a guitar as an investment, it's more of a general question...I'm just curious.

I don't think my SG would appeal to the masses as much as one of the other GOTW models would, per say...but that's not why I bought it. eusa_angel.gif She's smokin'!!

Congrats man, sounds like a winner.

I doubt it'll appreciate even if it's a short run. That will pretty much depend how sought after they are years to come. Vintage Gibby's are a totally different ballgame.

Post some pics though.biggrin.gif/ (<what's with these ineffective smilies?!)

Every guitar of the week was a limited run of 400. Do you guys think these will ever appreciate? Not just mine' date=' but all GOTW guitars. I don't believe in buying a guitar as an investment, it's more of a general question...I'm just curious.

[/quote']

I was wondering the same thing. As you can see by my avatar I have Week #3 a Silverburst SG.

I was wondering the same thing. As you can see by my avatar I have Week #3 a Silverburst SG.

jace - I remember when the Silverbursts were released last Feb. They were going for $1149-99, were snapped up in a day or so, and guys were flippin' them on Ebay for $1800. I'll bet one in great shape would still fetch better than sticker based on their popularity, especially given the recent price increases.

jace - I remember when the Silverbursts were released last Feb. They were going for $1149-99' date=' were snapped up in a day or so, and guys were flippin' them on Ebay for $1800. I'll bet one in great shape would still fetch better than sticker based on their popularity, especially given the recent price increases.[/quote']

Yeah, I watched them on ebay for awhile before I bought mine. I saw them go for $1400-$1800. I will never sell mine its my favorite guitar. I saw they raised the price for the SG standards now $1429-$1572. I got my Silverburst brand new unplayed for $1400 with shipping included.

Every guitar of the week was a limited run of 400.

Not all of them. Back in october/november of last year I went to one of my local Gibson dealers to find out about ordering a week 43 Explorer with the short maestro. They called the canadian distributor (Yorkville Sound) who hadn't heard about them yet' date=' but said they would call Gibson. Gibson said they had 9 left so Yorkville took all of them. I was told it could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6 months before it came in since they hadn't been built yet. Around december I started seeing some on ebay, so after christmas I called and asked if they had received theirs yet. I was told it could be october 2008 before I got mine!!! (Don't worry, there is a point to this whole story).

After a bit of a runaround I finally talked to someone at Gibson who explained that the 400 is a [i']maximum[/i] amount, but there is no minimum. The reason for the possible lengthy wait is that on certain (less desirable/popular) GOWs, if Gibson only receives advance orders for 125 guitars for example, they're not going to build all 400. They might build, let's say 150 to 175. If over the next few months, they eventually get enough orders, they'll build another batch. If those orders never come, then there will only be less than 200 of that model out there. When I was told mine might not come in for months, it's because the person I was talking to didn't realize that Yorkville was getting the last 9 from that initial run. They were going under the assumption that I would have to wait until there were enough orders to justify a second batch. It could take months, or might not happen at all.

Technically, this makes certain models ever more rare but these would be the ones no one wants in the first place. If no one wants one now, what are the chances there will be a huge demand 20 to 30 years from now (Flying V, Explorer :-k).

BTW, I got my Explorer about 2 weeks later. It also have a feeling that they got enough orders to finish the 400 because once that model hit the streets, it became fairly sought after. There's a retailer in Japan that says he can't keep them in stock. He sells them as fast as he can get them.

I bought my week 16 silverburst Les Paul solely for me and not for future sale. Sure I'd be happy if the value of it went up, but I didn't buy it as an investment in the dollars and cents terms at least...

Nice SG BTW, I considered one early on, but decided that the one I have can't be beat, no matter how good it looks!!

ALIEN8, I couldn't agree with you more. The guitar is for me and only me! I didn't buy it to turn a profit.

Junkie, I did not know that. I thought that Gibson actually made 400 of each.

Whether or not it actually appreciates or not, doesn't really matter. It'll never see the used market. I was just curious if the low production numbers would have an influence on future demand.

It's like the original Robots, right? Only 4,000 made..."rare!" But these GOTW are quite rarer (if that's a word) if you think about it.

The silverburst SG is slowly becoming more rare day by day too' date=' I've met two people now who have had the fretboard pull away from the neck... bad glue bond I guess...[/quote']

I'd be so upset if that happened to me. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you?

I'd be so upset if that happened to me. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures' date=' would you?[/quote']

I would be pissed if that happened to my guitar. But it seems to look, play and sound perfect so far. Alien8 if you do have pics I would like to see them too.

No pics, I just happened to be in the store when some dude brought it in to get replaced... the fretboard pulled away from the nut to about the 4th fret. The second one I head about when I saw a band who's guitarist had one, and I just bought mine, so I went and chatted it up and he told me that his did the same thing... His replacement was fine though...

Archived