Gibson Brands Forums

acoustic guitar humidifier

guitar_randy

I just use the "Planet Waves" humidifier inserts, and have had no problems yet.

The "kit" with the digital barometer & 1 insert is about $12, and extra inserts are $6-$8 each.

On the other end of the spectrum, i've seen the damage that can occur from too much humidity......

Bridge lifting, neck/body joint seperation, loose fretboards, etc.

My "paw-in-law" inherited his brothers acoustics, after they sat under full string tension in a

house with a leaking roof for several months........the damage was neither pretty, nor repairable.

I use grover's - the one in the big green tube. I don't know what the other guy was doing with his, but I just use tap water on mine and I've never had any trouble. Another idea if you want to make your own is doing the same trick but use a film container instead of a tupperware. In the long run, though, the best way is to run a humidifier in your house. It seems to keep thing a little more constant.

My "paw-in-law" inherited his brothers acoustics' date=' after they sat under full string tension in a

house with a leaking roof for several months........the damage was neither pretty, nor repairable.[/quote']

Wow.... If you have multiple guitars and some are used less than others should you loosen the strings?

Archived