Gibson Brands Forums

Fulltone OCD v.4 or Carl Martin Plexitone

jalexquijano

Ok, now im getting near the road. The amp I am using my Gibson Les Paul Standard with burstbucker pro 1 and 2 pickups is a Fender Twin Reverb 65 Reissue.

To get that 72' to 73 ' live Marshall Led Zeppelin sound as per The Song remains the same concerts shall I settle with the Carl Martin Plexitone or the Fulltone OCD version 4. Just remember once i turn the pedal off i need to hear the cleanest sound as possible comming out of the Twin Reverb.

Which of this two will you choose? I have heard that the Fulltone OCD is more compatible with Fender amps.

Well, I think you know my answer!

I will just add that I think it's very telling that the OCD has like 4 versions ... each generation supposedly bettering the previous. It's not like they are reinventing the wheel ... it's just updated version after updated version of the same pedal. I'm afraid if you are constantly doing that (meaning several revisions of the same pedal), as they are, then there is obviously something wrong in the way of needed improvement. If you are going to go w/the OCD, I'd at least wait until the new version comes out ... shouldn't be long!

Oh, and if you can't wait, I'd suggest checking out ebay as people flip them left and right so you should be able to get a pretty good deal on it.

I've never tried the other pedal...but the OCD rocks. I own v.4. It is great pedal. I have a Fender Blues Jr. I play clean most of the time. I turn on the OCD for some crunch. It has a very natural tube overdrive sound and is very controllable. I would crank the amp if I didn't have a house full of kids all under the age of 3!

The Fulltone and Change out the Speakers to 1 Celestion Vintage 30 and a Celestion G12M Greenback.

Got-a have the right Speakers for Jimmys Sound, man.

Also Jimmy used a 20db Boost and the

Roger Meyer Voodo Fuzz

Read This

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/jptt.html

And of Course you'll need one of these a

Orange Matamp, A 1971 Led Zepplin Amp

For A kOOL 30,000 Thousand for a opening Bid

Check this out too

http://www.jimmypage.co.uk/equipment.htm

Also he used a Sola Sound Tone Bender Professional MKII Fuzzbox and this was used on

How Many More Times

You Shook Me

Tangerine

Your Time is Gonna Come

And for the Effect at the very end of

Over The Hills and Far Away

In My Time of Dying and a Few more.

Also Jimmy used a Wah-wah and used it in the Fully-Forward Position (more Treble)

To get a Sharper Tone on a lot of Stuff.

The overdriven sound im looking is from the live 72 and 73 concerts pictured in The Song Remains the same DVD. I heard said overdrive came from his Marshall 1959 SLP with KT66 tubes. He was not using a Solasound TOne bender in these concerts. The amp i have is a Fender Twin Reverb 65 reissue and a Fender Blues Deville 4 by 10 Tweed

The Fulltone and Change out the Speakers to 1 Celestion Vintage 30 and a Celestion G12M Greenback.

Got-a have the right Speakers for Jimmys Sound' date=' man.

Also Jimmy used a 20db Boost and the

Roger Meyer Voodo Fuzz

Read This

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/jptt.html

And of Course you'll need one of these a

Orange Matamp, A 1971 Led Zepplin Amp

For A kOOL 30,000 Thousand for a opening Bid

Check this out too

http://www.jimmypage.co.uk/equipment.htm

[/quote']

The overdriven sound im looking is from the live 72 and 73 concerts pictured in The Song Remains the same DVD. I heard said overdrive came from his Marshall 1959 SLP with KT66 tubes. He was not using a Solasound TOne bender in these concerts. The amp i have is a Fender Twin Reverb 65 reissue and a Fender Blues Deville 4 by 10 Tweed

I've been following the two threads where you're asking about this and' date=' to be honest, the sound you're looking for is not going to be found with your amp and a pedal. What you're looking for is impossible for you to obtain exactly and probably even more difficult considering what you want to work with.

You have a few things working against you:

1) You're not Jimmy Page and even a gearhead like me realizes that getting a tone isn't all about gear.

2) Neither a Fender Twin nor a Blues Deville with any kind of pedal is going to sound just like a cranked up Marshall.

3) What you are asking for is very specific - getting a pedal and a Twin to sound like a Marshall 1959 SLP [i']with[/i] KT66 power tubes driven at high volume in a particular recording recorded at a particular venue with a particular guitar played by a particular guitar player. If it were so easy to get a particular sound with a pedal plugged into a clean amp, nobody would be playing through cranked up Marshalls anymore, including Jimmy Page.

My recommendation to you is to just try out a bunch of pedals and find out for yourself which one works best for you. That, or look into buying a 1959 SLP with KT66 power tubes, a room where you can get away with that amount of power and work on your Zepplin riffs.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being a jerk, but I've been down the same road many times with an amp that doesn't sound like what I want and tried to make it something else with pedals. You might end up finding something you like that works with your amp, but I wouldn't count on finding a pedal that makes you sound just like what you described.

Archived