Gibson Brands Forums

Spector Sentenced...

heymisterk

You're kidding, right? I mean about the Not Too Many People on a Gibson Forum has heard of him.

He's the master of Over Production. He ruined the Let It Be Album and put Great Singers like Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector through the Ringer for all they were worth. He was one of the first Formula Mongering, Record Company Pimps who did it for the Money, and not for the Music.

I always felt his "Wall Of Sound" was way to busy and distorted for the beautiful Voices he recorded.

In spite of the schlocky quality of some "wall of sound" productions, I do like many of his great ones, even the kitschy ones (remember "I love how you love me" by the Paris sisters?).

That said, judging from the many stories I've read and heard over the years, the man seems like a seriously deranged megalomaniac with a tendency to threaten people at gun point, especially women. It doesn't surprise me that he finally got nailed; what surprises me is that it took somebody's death to do it.

He's the master of Over Production. He ruined the Let It Be Album and put Great Singers like Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector through the Ringer for all they were worth. He was one of the first Formula Mongering' date=' Record Company Pimps who did it for the Money, and not for the Music.

I always felt his "Wall Of Sound" was way to busy and distorted for the beautiful Voices he recorded.[/quote']

By "ruined " you mean making Let It Be a grammy award winning album. The Beatles themselves said they gave him a pile of crap and he made a sellable album out of it. The only Beatle upset with him was Paul McCartney and he wasn't THAT upset when he collected the 1971 grammy award. John Lennon used him to help produce a few of his albums, Imagine, Some Time In New York, Rock N' Roll, Menlove Ave in addition to two Plastic Ono Band albums. George Harrison used him on Concert for Bangla- Desh and his first solo album All Things Must Pass.

As for Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector, no one would even know who they were if it wasn't for his "Wall of Sound". He did have a formula for making hits no doubt about it, but that formula had been in place years before he started ( look at Frankie Avalon/Fabian/Ricky Nelson etc...) Motown ( Berry Gordy ) and Brian Wilson ( Pet Sounds album) even copied his production style.

Now don't get me wrong. I think he got what he deserved,in fact I think he got off easy with 19 years. Should have been 1st degree murder. But don't discount the positive influence he had on music and production.

Now don't get me wrong. I think he got what he deserved' date='in fact I think he got off easy with 19 years. Should have been 1st degree murder. But don't discount the positive influence he had on music and production.[/quote']

+1

Why was that?

Lennon could be the nicest guy alive, but in a heartbeat he could become mean and foul tempered.

I read an article years ago. One of the engineers who worked during "The Plastic Ono Band" era

said that John was one of the few who could intimidate Phil.

Archived