Gibson Brands Forums

The Eagles: Selected Works 1972-1999

Californiaman

Having written a body of songs that has consistently tested the passing of time, the Eagles are one of my all-time favorite bands.

As a unit, the band's ability to craft meaningful songs that span the past four decades is a testament to them. They've always been creative and had a sense of what works. They've been as much a major part of the American music scene and still can draw huge crowds to their shows.

It doesn't matter if it's the blending of country and rock-n-roll, R&B, soul or the careful arrangement of a ballad, the Eagles are one of America's best bands.

Unfortunately they are also overlooked by many who never really looked past the top-40 hits the band produced.

I've been pouring over the Eagles 1972-1999. It's a great four disc set that also includes the Millennium Concert. Disc One is the Early Years, Disc Two Ballads, Disc Three Life in the Fast Lane, and Four the Millennium Concert.

Doesn't matter if it's a solitary road trip to clear your head' date=' or a cross country trip with the boys, the Eagles music always seems to make it a better trip.[/quote']

and so precise. I have a live DVD of them and it is wonderful. I didnt have the brass to see them when they toured a few years ago, I hope they come back.

I am not a great fan of Joe Walsh, not sure why, but the others are all fantastic.

If I had to nominate a fav song, it would have to be "I Cant Tell You Why:

and so precise. I have a live DVD of them and it is wonderful. I didnt have the brass to see them when they toured a few years ago' date=' I hope they come back.

I am not a great fan of Joe Walsh, not sure why, but the others are all fantastic.

[/quote']

Oh...I have to disagree with you here!! I LOVE "Pretty Maids All in a Row." And the solos in "Hotel California" just can't be beat!

There are few songs by The Eagles that I don't like, but I really love the stuff from Don Henley and Joe Walsh.

But really now' date=' how about the opening guitar for "Life in the Fast Lane," or "Victim of Love."

You hear them and you know your ready to rock-n-roll.[/quote']

What about those opening chords to Heartache Tonight? Followed by the drum beat.

Oh I could go on and on.

Then of course, the acoustic solo on Tequila Sunrise. Bliss!!!!!! The tone of those acoustics.

and so precise. I have a live DVD of them and it is wonderful. I didnt have the brass to see them when they toured a few years ago' date=' I hope they come back.

[/quote']

It's clear to me now- you must be my nemesis. In my opinion, Joe Walsh is the only redeeming thing about the band. I'm honestly not trying to be a naysayer. The Eagles just aren't my cup 'o' tea. They're really good at what they do, and they're all talented, I just don't dig 'em.

It's clear to me now- you must be my nemesis. In my opinion' date=' Joe Walsh is the only redeeming thing about the band. I'm honestly not trying to be a naysayer. The Eagles just aren't my cup 'o' tea. They're really good at what they do, and they're all talented, I just don't dig 'em.[/quote']

Thats it then. It has to be six-shooters at dawn, ten paces. =D>

I know it's one of their "Top 40 hits", and that's a crime in the world of classic rock eliteism (j/k), but IMO New Kid In Town is one of the most brilliant and beautiful chord progressions in pop music. Goes through about 3 key changes. Plus all the perfectly played fills, solos, harmonies ect. A real studio masterpiece.

Just got through listening to The King of Hollywood. The semi-clean guitar tones at the beginning make for a great intro. Later the clean tones and guitar harmonies create a nice sonic canvas which lead into some tasty lead work, albeit slow and deliberate.

Having read 2 books on the Eagles "Take It To The Limit" and just recently Don Felders book "Heaven and Hell" it's hard for me to listen to alot of Frey and Henleys stuff. To me they have become the Gene Simmons/Paul Stanley of California rock. Kicking out members or reducing them to sidemen while gaining bigger control of the Band/corporation. How those two have treated ex Eagles Miesner and Leadon is a shame also. Both were part of the early eagles sound and success yet Glenn and Don refused to let them attend the ceremony honoring the biggest selling album of all time, Eagles Greatest Hits. That being said, Frey and Henley were both pretty good songcrafters in 70's until drugs and booze got the best of them. Henley is a great singer. Felder and Walsh my favorited guitar duo. I think Hotel California, both the single and album are genius and them at their best but to me the Eagles ended with the 70's. What's out there touring now is the Glenn and Don show. ps I have the boxset also and its pretty good collection of their history.

What about those opening chords to Heartache Tonight? Followed by the drum beat.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

I always HATED the fake-*** hand claps all the way through that song, along with the drum beat it's the worst!

Sorry.....

:-)

I was a huge Felder fan from the start, his book is a MUST READ for anybody who enjoys music.

Confirmed my assumptions that Henley is the tortured "arteest" while Frey is a drug-addled paranoid prick.

Great music from those *** holes though.

Don't forget Bernie Leadon, though he really was not a rocker - that's why he left.

Joe Walsh is simply Joe Walsh. Take him or leave him, but he IS a great player.

I was a huge Felder fan from the start' date=' his book is a MUST READ for anybody who enjoys music.

Confirmed my assumptions that Henley is the tortured "arteest" while Frey is a drug-addled paranoid prick.

Great music from those *** holes though.

Don't forget Bernie Leadon, though he really was not a rocker - that's why he left.

Joe Walsh is simply Joe Walsh. Take him or leave him, but he IS a great player.

[/quote']

I agree Neo, Fingers gave the Eagles sound a much needed boost and my wife is even reading and enjoying his book after I told her some of the things that about his life.

Archived