Gibson Brands Forums

Straight-razor shave

heymisterk

So as a gift, my girlfriend bought me a gift certificate for a male spa. I realize, of course, that it was her way of suggesting what I get her as a little token of affection for her upcoming birthday. (Those tokens, I might add, can have big pay-offs later...)

Anyhow...I decided to use part of the gift card to get an old-fashioned, straight-razor shave, and I'm here to tell you, there's nothing like it. I can't remember the last time I was so relaxed.

With ESPN on in the background and after I downed a complimentary beer, I lay back and the barber lathered my face, put a steaming hot towel on, re-lathered, then with great care and skill, worked the straight razor around my face two times, for a total of 10 minutes, re-lathering again between shaves. Afterward, he worked a wonderful sandlewood balm into my face. I'm telling you, my blood pressure dropped ten points sitting in that chair.

Afterward, I made small talk with the barber, and he said it's getting harder and harder to find a regular barber to do a shave. That's a real shame, something that seems to have disappeared in our generation.

But I'm here to tell you that if you ever get a chance to experience this pleasurable bit of nostalgia, do it, cuz there's nothing like it.

Are you ghey?

J/k... thought I'd beat the right wing nut jobs.

It's funny you say that, because as I was typing my little story, I was anticipating what Certain Members of This Forum were going to read into it. That I was there because of a gift from my GIRLfriend will not deter them...

It's funny you say that' date=' because as I was typing my little story, I was anticipating what Certain Members of This Forum were going to read into it. That I was there because of a gift from my GIRLfriend will not deter them...[/quote']

That girlfriend comment and my comment may have thwarted them. Fux em they will still be thinking it. Give them a preemptive "go to hell". LOL

Two people one thread and you're quoting each other.

Who else would you be replying to?

Or is this gay code?:P

Well, there was this one time I was humming me some Wolfmother and tapping a happy foot as I took a dump at the Minneapolis airport. When I flushed and walked over to the sink, some guy shook my hand and said, "Hello! I'm Senator Larry Craig..."

Sounds tempting. I agree though' date=' its hard to find old school barbers who will give a fella a shave.

Was it as close a shave as youd get with a Gillette?[/quote']

Yes, but don't be surprised if you get a nick or two: your skin is not used to that kind of shaving.

Damn' date=' that's good stuff. I've honestly never listened to them before. I'd say (that song at least) is sort of a cross between Cream and Sabbath. I need to look more into them.

[/quote']

Yuck Eye saw them live once and it was horrible. Maybe it was a bad night for them but It turned me off quick.

Damn' date=' that's good stuff. I've honestly never listened to them before. I'd say (that song at least) is sort of a cross between Cream and Sabbath. I need to look more into them.

[/quote']

Love Wolfmother. They only made one album and then split, just a couple of years ago. Aussies. Mick must have seen them on an off-night, because they brought the house down when I saw them. They are often described as a mix between Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Deep Purple.

The "nick or two" and the liability insurance(and fear of frivolous lawsuits)

for HIV infections FROM the "nick or two" are the reason most barbers won't give a shave now.

Yep, that's what I've been told. Some of the small-town barbers will still do it - with disposable, single blades - but most don't bother.

Archived