Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Johnson L-1

sternfan

OK, I've had the guitar for exactly one week now. I've made a special effort to play it and only it (well, that is, outside the Baldwin piano in the living room, but that was only to help my son with his lessons!).

I noticed "right out of the box" that it was very tight, almost muffled. In a way I was a bit let down by its muted response to my bare fingers in the lower and upper registers. Blame C.F. Martin & Co. for that since I've become very used to sensational sound from the first strum/pick. I dedicated myself to playing it because, even though it's my first Gibson, I just knew that there had to more to this thing that almost looks like a toy compared to my Martin.

I got it home and immediately changed the strings to Newtones. It instantly sounded better since I'm used to the bass "pop" and the warm trebles that those produce. That said, the guitar still wasn't speaking to me, even as I played Love in Vain, in homage to my guitar's namesake.

2 hours later and the guitar seemed like it was waking up a bit: the basses were sustaining more, the trebles were becoming more light and airy. Still, it was a long way off from where I was hoping it would be.

Over the next several nights I fingerpicked, used a slide, and played with bare fingers for several hours each night. On the third night, something happened. Something magical, almost defying the senses.

The guitar seemed like a little beast compared to the *****-cat it had been! The basses more throaty (you wouldn't mistake it for a D28, but that's a good thing!), the mids with miles of sustain, and the highs were so crisp, so enunciated, that I thought I had picked up the wrong guitar for a moment!

I played a tune that calls for a bit of slide, a bit of strumming, and a bit of finger picking just to see how she would handle it (Sister Morphine). Oh the sound! What incredible music you can produce with this little thing! In fact, being on the road for the last week, I wrote several songs for my 10th anniversary with my wife on it. I know it sounds a bit corny, but I truly feel inspired to write music with this in my lap.

Here's the thing: With this guitar, in one week no less, I have found that it excels from the mid-bass up through the treble (no one does bass like Martin). The range is perfect for people who love to record and sing while playing. It's ultra comfortable in the lap and it feels just as good in the left hand. The guitar handles fingerstyle like noone's business, can handle light to medium strumming (if you're trying to bang some Metallica-like power chords out of this thing you're going to be disappointed), and it handles a pick very well (although again, if you're going to play metal, get an SG, not this). All of that said, like you could imagine, it handles fingerpicking and slide blues better than anything else....certainly better than anything else I own. Maple Leaf Rag never sounded so good...

Now for the incredible part: I experienced all of this without thinking about the signature on the fingerboard! Can you imagine? Someone who actually plays the guitar and likes the way it sounds without worrying about whether people believe I've sold out or have paid handsomely for the Gibson Marketing Whores who so shamelessly sold this guitar as a signature stick...

If you're considering getting one, don't consider it, just do it. Play the $hit out of it for a week and you'll never, ever look back regretting the purchase.

Gads, sternfan -- that was a treacherous post! Fact is, I've got my eye on one of these, if I can ever find one to try out. If I do and it sounds/plays good, I might just snap it up w/out any further deliberations...

I appreciate your comments. Could you possibly post a sound file and/or a pic or two? Just curious!

Congradulations on waking the sleeping midget!!!! I've also lusted after one of those......by the way.....any of you hound dogs know what the difference is between a Robert Johnson and a Blues king???? (besides the signature) and is Gibson making any "ladder" braced guitars anymore???? I played a ladder braced no-name guitar that just had that 'vibe'........

I had an L-1 reissue for awhile - it was at least 10 years ago or more - I used it as trade for my Nick Lucas. I seem to recall liking the L-1 but preferred a 14 fret acoustic at the time.

The Nick Lucas has served me very well

The Blues King is an L-00, the Robert Johnson an L-1 -- two totally different guitars.

L-1:

Gibson_L-1RobertJohnson_m.jpg

L-00:

blues%20king.jpg

As for their complete, exact specs, well, I couldn't tell you and I don't believe you'll find them on the Gibson site either.

I did find and try a mid-'90s L-1 reissue, basically a RJ minus the signature, but was not impressed with it. Haven't seen any references to this particular model.

Glad you are enjoying the geetar. Back in the 1960s I owned a 1930s L-1 for a bit but never really made peace with it.

The Bozeman-made guitar sounds like a true sweetheart.

About marketing though - whatever you say, it did work. Robert Johnson is not known to have played a Gibson. Johnny Shines recalled Johnson playing Kalamazoos, Stellas and even a brass National. The L-1s were pretty lightly consructed and not near as sturdy as the similarly cheap Oscar Schmidt-made Stellas, Kays or Stromberg Concerts

(if there is an iconic blues guitar - the Stella would have to be it).

An intersting side note - the reason Johnson recorded so few sides is that those songs were all he had. H.C. Spier who owned a music store and recorded Johnson's "audition" record recalled that most of Johnson's repertoire consisted of covers written some 4 or 5 years earlier. By Spier felt Johnson's abiliity to sing in a falsetto voice which was very popular, would sell records. And the rest, as they say, is history. But ya gotta wonder - would Johnson be so famous today if Clapton had never covered "Crossroads."

I would reverse the question - Where would Clapton be without Robert Johnson

(& without Freddie King for that matter.)

I spent some time around Johnny Shines and he said Robert was incredible musician - although as you mentioned Robert copied a lot of his tunes from others. Personally I think Johnny was a better singer than Robert

The Crossroads legend (i.e. Faust legend) and Robert Johnson helped his popularity a great deal but he was obviously an awesome player. I am not sure he would be as revered as he is had it not been for the crossroads story. Son House & Charley Patton to me were the ones that deserved more attention than RJ - possibly Willie Brown as well but he was very under recorded to say the least

I would reverse the question - Where would Clapton be without Robert Johnson

About the same place, really. Id say, musically, EC didnt really connect with Johnson--it was more about the hellhound themes and the legend. Johnson's influence really was ex post facto. The real kings of the delta at the time were Bo Carter and the Sheiks (the true blues stars of the day were Lonnie Johnson and Leroy Carr).

any of you hound dogs know what the difference is between a Robert Johnson and a Blues king???? (besides the signature) and is Gibson making any "ladder" braced guitars anymore???? I played a ladder braced no-name guitar that just had that 'vibe'........

In historic Gibson parlance' date=' the "L," and not the -00 or -1, indicates the body size. The -00 and -1 indicate trim level. Here are 5 vintage L models:

[img']http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/32919/2942135110033810361S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

Those on the left and right in the back row are both L-1s. The left is circa 1928 (a year older than Johnson's) and the right is circa 1930. In the middle of the back row is a 1929 Nick Lucas, from approximately the first year of the newer, larger "L" body. Left front is a 1932 L-00; right front is a 1936 L-Century.

Some of the early, smaller Ls had ladder bracing and a few had X-bracing. Mine sports a hybrid that I call "A" bracing:

2002553730033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Post about 1928, only the Kalamazoo brand had ladder bracing. As far as I know, Gibson no longer makes any ladder braced guitars.

In historic Gibson parlance' date=' the "L," and not the -00 or -1, indicates the body size. The -00 and -1 indicate trim level. [/quote']

That's interesting, jt. Does Gibson account for the shape change in their nomenclature in any way, or does it just go unsaid?

I know that appointments on a given Gibson guitar model may change for no apparent reason, but a shape change seems important enough to warrant some kind of identifying name or tag.

Does Gibson account for the shape change in their nomenclature in any way' date=' or does it just go unsaid[/quote']

The nomenclature did not change. Circa 1929, Gibson swapped out the little body for the big body, but kept the model designations of l-0, L-1, and Nick Lucas and added the L2. Circa 1932, Gibson added the L-00 (not having the L-0s back binding, the L-00 was the simplest of all of the Ls). In 1933, Gibson completed the L model line with the L-Century.

It's my all-time favorite Gibson body style. I still need an L-2 and an L-0 (I sold an L-0 a few years ago to finance the large body L-1.) to complete my collection!

the arlo guthrie LG-2 3/4 guitar is ladder braced...

I played one of these recently and was pleasantly surprised. I'd heard a number of not so good comments about it, but must admit it played and sounded pretty good.

Johnson was pretty much the swan song of the acoustic blues. Just after he made his recordings' date=' Memphis Minnie changed the music forever when she appeared on a Chicago stage with a drummer and an electric National New Yorker. [/quote']

Wonder if anyone screamed "Judas!" at Minnie.

the arlo guthrie LG-2 3/4 guitar is ladder braced...

Thanks! I'd forgotten about that one. I've never played either an original or reissue. I'd like to correct that omission some day.

Back to Wiley's question. In addition to the specs pointed out, both had the 24.75 scale. The L00s had thin tops and were lightly braced. The new versions feature a 25.5 scale*, which lends to a tighter, brighter sound. And the new versions are not so delicately braced as the old ones. Not bad lil' guitars, but anyone looking for a close approximation of the 30s sound is might be disappointed.

*footnote: through 06 anyway. BK changed in 07, dont know about Johnson, website doesnt list specs.

The small body L-1 & L-0 flattops (the L-1 on the left in the pic I posted) had a very short 24.25 scale. The 24.75 scale accompanied the introduction of the larger L-0. L-00, L-1 body size (the L-1 on the right). For a very short while, the small body guitars with the new 1930s logo sometimes had a 25 scale. My X-rays and measurements have revealed that the small body versions had even thinner plate thicknesses and lighter bracing than the circa 1929 larger versions.

Recent L-1's have a 25" scale and 13 3/4 lower bout. Maybe the original poster or Gibson101 can supply the measurements of upper bout, waist, and depth. Here are some specs I found at fretbase.com:

Body Style: L-Series Small

Top: Solid Sitka Spruce

Back and Sides: Mahogany

Binding: Single ply top & back

Neck Material: Mahogany

Scale Length: 25"

Neck Profile: Tapered Vshape

Fingerboard Material: Ebony

Number of Frets: 19.0

Fingerboard Inlay: MOP Dots

Nut Width: 1.725"

Other Inlays: Mother-of-pearl Robert Johnson signature inlay at the end of the fingerboard

Bridge: 1930s L-1 Pyramid Wings

Bridge Inlay:

Bridge Pins: White

Tuners: Nickel Gotoh with white buttons

Case: Harshell

Recent L-1's have a 25" scale and 13 3/4 lower bout. Maybe the original poster or Gibson101 can supply the measurements of upper bout' date=' waist, and depth. [/quote']

Depth tapers from 4 1/4" at the the lower bout to 3 3/8" at the upper bout. It's 8" at the waist and 10" at the upper bout.

Hope that helps.

• 5 months later...
Glad you are enjoying the geetar. Back in the 1960s I owned a 1930s L-1 for a bit but never really made peace with it.

The Bozeman-made guitar sounds like a true sweetheart.

About marketing though - whatever you say' date=' it did work. Robert Johnson is not known to have played a Gibson. Johnny Shines recalled Johnson playing Kalamazoos, Stellas and even a brass National. The L-1s were pretty lightly consructed and not near as sturdy as the similarly cheap Oscar Schmidt-made Stellas, Kays or Stromberg Concerts

(if there is an iconic blues guitar - the Stella would have to be it).

An intersting side note - the reason Johnson recorded so few sides is that those songs were all he had. H.C. Spier who owned a music store and recorded Johnson's "audition" record recalled that most of Johnson's repertoire consisted of covers written some 4 or 5 years earlier. By Spier felt Johnson's abiliity to sing in a falsetto voice which was very popular, would sell records. And the rest, as they say, is history. But ya gotta wonder - would Johnson be so famous today if Clapton had never covered "Crossroads." [/quote']

yeah right... like clapton was some kind of prolific writer. JFC, clapton is the most over rated guitar player in the world. what did clapton write that was actually worth a crap anyway. you blues guys... uhm, i mean grey hairs, who revel in who did what in blues and who is worthy of what... blah blah blah ... yet, not one of you know poo about what really happened back in those days. ESAD

About the same place' date=' really. Id say, musically, EC didnt really connect with Johnson--it was more about the hellhound themes and the legend. Johnson's influence really was ex post facto. The real kings of the delta at the time were Bo Carter and the Sheiks (the true blues stars of the day were Lonnie Johnson and Leroy Carr).

[/quote']

true blues stars?? WTF, get down on your knees and kiss BRittneys sweet ***. she's the only blues star that you all can relate to. what a bunch of wanna be, know it all grey hairs that never grew up. these forums are clearly a place for the truly depraved... count me out.. i signed up to throw sheet in your cracked faces. honky MF's

true blues stars?? WTF' date=' get down on your knees and kiss BRittneys sweet ***. she's the only blues star that you all can relate to. what a bunch of wanna be, know it all grey hairs that never grew up. these forums are clearly a place for the truly depraved... count me out.. i signed up to throw sheet in your cracked faces. honky MF's[/quote']

Methinx someone was breast-fed for too long!

I wanted something very different from my Martins; I was actually considering an all "hog" 15-series Martin. After goofing around with an L-1 (at Guitar Center!) off and on for a few weeks, I could not get the little thing out of my head! It is almost like a toy, very light, and very lively. GC cut the price to "their cost", and I snatched it up. (Told the wife it had been in the closet, and that I just haven't played this one for a few years.)

This is my go-to guitar now. Although the neck is a little narrow for my finger picking, that still what I use it for mostly; but if I dig into it it comes alive. Perfect for blues, with a nice little growl, good overtones, but not chimey or bell-like. I cannot say enough good things about this little box; some nights I actually tell it I love it before sticking it back in it's case. I love my Martins for what they are, and they are great. But the L1 is a very different kind of great. And yeah, I'm past the signature.

Archived