Gibson Brands Forums

Do You Play Computer Games?

pumpkin

Just an Xbox 360. I don't play it near as much as I used to.

Still play sports games when the guys are over. FIFA, Fight Night, UFC, etc.

On the PS3 a bit of DEAD SPACE late at night whilst drunk is good!

How is Dead Space? I have like 5 single player games that I haven't touched, Dead Space is one of them. Well, I tried it for a few minutes but didn't get into it. Good game?

No ****? I never would have pegged you for a wow player. I've played since May '07.

Yeah, I like mmorpgs. I haven't been playing much of WoW over the past couple of months though nor have I been playing any other mmorpgs either. I used to be really into those types of games years ago but, as good as WoW is, I guess I'm growing a bit tired of the genre.

Yeah' date=' I like mmorpgs. I haven't been playing much of WoW over the past couple of months though nor have I been playing any other mmorpgs either. I used to be really into those types of games years ago but, as good as WoW is, I guess I'm growing a bit tired of the genre.

[/quote']

Eh, WoW is ready to die. It has had a good run, but it's just played out. I just wish the gaming industry would catch up with what the consumer wants. So many new MMOs being shown at E3 this year, but I really feel the consumer doesn't want another MMO. If you think about the biggest titles of recent years, with the exceptions of WoW and the Guitar Hero franchise, they've been games in the platform and puzzle genres. Think about how well Assassin's Creed ended up doing, and its initial release was plagued by glitches and bugs. Portals was a huge release two years ago. It's a shame so much of the industry has gone to, well, industry. It's less about games now, and more about making as much money as possible. c'est la vie

I think the mmorpg genre has a lot of life left in it but there needs to be a balance between how simpler games like WoW and more complicated ones like Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online work.

WoW is popular because it's not terribly difficult to get up and running, you can solo (to a point) and you can actually log in, do a quest or two in an hour, log out and feel like you've accomplished something. But, there are very few dungeons you can visit on your own or without having to invest several hours of your time with a team. Also, character development is relatively flat in that you can't change your attributes and zones feel a bit linear.

Anarchy Online was cool because it was in a sci-fi setting, was the first to implement on demand missions (even if they were very redundant), had an incredible amount of tweakable attributes (even if there wasn't a lot of room to break out of molds) and teaming with other character classes worked very well. Some players didn't enjoy it, but I liked the competitive nature it fostered between factions - might really did make right. However, it's been plagued with bugs over the years, has ridiculous spawn timers, it took FOREVER to progress in levels, and there were a lot of mobs that players would hunt exclusively and repetitively to gain experience points. The game graphics engine is terrible; WoW, which has greater texture detail, runs much better on my machine but I've heard that Funcom is rebuilding the whole thing for a release later this year. Also, zone borders really sucked the life out of feeling like you were in an actual world.

Asheron's Call was the most fun I've ever had in an mmorpg as it was my first one and seemed almost magical at the time as I had no idea how the game mechanics worked. There were TONS of unique dungeons and quests, you were unhindered by boundaries while exploring (if you could live through it, you could go there) and the world felt like it had continuity to it. AC kept going down hill as spell formulas were reduced to Split Pea then eventually scrapped altogether, bot scripts played for players and would camp the best spots and housing all but eliminated any reason to go to towns which made the world feel somewhat deserted rather than being living place.

Blackhawk' date=' Where do you buy the Game? I have been looking through stores all over the net and cant seem to find it.[/quote']

Its out this month, Arma I tho has been discontinued in stores, I bought it on Direct2Drive... I will be getting ArmaII the day it comes out (hopefully will be the 19th but well see)

Archived