Gibson Brands Forums

NASCAR Driver trashes Les Paul "Trophy"

Lespaul72

It's all testosterone. I'm a big man who can smash a guitar. Or pick on someone smaller or weaker. Or drive my car faster. It's all the same.

I suppose if we all had decent self esteem and were happy with our appendages, there would be no ESPN.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all testosterone. I'm a big man who can smash a guitar. Or pick on someone smaller or weaker. Or drive my car faster. It's all the same.

I suppose if we all had decent self esteem and were happy with our appendages' date=' there would be no ESPN.[/quote']

Yeah but KS...it took him 2 tries to do it, saying something for build integrity...either that, or he's weak. I like your avatar by the way...

I see your point but you also have to think of the hours of work and craftsmanship that went into making that guitar. Even though it was given as a trophy it was a real' date=' quality guitar that could have made beautiful music in the right hands. After all the hard work and expense Gibson did to create it I think it's a disrespectful shame to smash it just as if it were a piece of crap not worth saving... And if he wanted to give his pit crew each a piece of the guitar he would have been better off spending some of that prize money and buying each and every one of them a copy of the same guitar.... Just think how proud and greatful they would have been, not to mention he would have been supporting a good company and pumping money into the economy....

There is no justification. He is a ********!!![/quote']

I know what you mean but I think I can relate something here. I work as a web designer and it's a creative way to earn a living. One thing I had to come to terms with years ago is that, while what I do is artistic, I have to not allow myself to consider it to be art. When I come up with designs to propose to the business side of my company, I have to sit there in a room with people who have no clue about design and listen to them criticize my work and make idiotic suggestions as to how to "improve" what I've presented. While I sit there and call them morons in my head, I'm agreeable to their suggestions to a point (if I think a criticism is just plain wrong or stupid, I'll say as much in diplomatic terms) and have to take what they say into account.

Now, I saw that guitar only on the YouTube video that somebody else posted and the photo in the article below and, from what I could see, it looked like it had a bunch of NASCAR cars and related logos all over the front of it. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of how that design turned out was at least partly influenced by a back and forth dialog between NASCAR, Gibson and the artist who put the design together and that that designer had to compromise in several areas for things like the NASCAR logo has to have some amount of space around it or can't be placed any closer than some distance from other logos or any number of other sets of criteria.

So, as a corporate designer/artist, you have to deal with the fact that what you are creating is not art, but a product to be used by a business. It's not an ideal situation for any creative person, but it's a good way to do something you like and get paid well for it; on the weekends, you get your ya-yas out by creating something that YOU want to do where you don't have to answer to anyone else except yourself.

I don't think this situation is a lot different from any other Gibson Les Paul that gets built and the people building it know that the guitar might end up in a glass case owned by some collector or in the hands of some kid whose parents bought it for him because he wanted to learn to play guitar only to give up after a few weeks or decided to draw all over it to make it look more rock and roll. You create knowing that what you do may never be appreciated.

AXE quoted something from the artist a little earlier:

USA Today[/u]]One onlooker who applauded the theatrics was Sam Bass' date=' the artist who paints Nashville's trophy guitars.

"I'll be honest with you, I was stunned when it happened," Bass said. "But when I went to Victory Lane to take a picture with Kyle, he said there was no disrespect to me, the speedway or the sponsors. He just said he was going to give each one of his guys a piece of the trophy. In the spirit of rock and roll and, as someone who appreciates rock and roll, he put on a show."[/quote']

In that sense, I think it's kind of cool that he broke it up to give a piece to everyone in his team. In fact, I think it's a lot better than the driver sticking it on a shelf to collect dust as now everyone in his team has a memento of what was, for them, a really big day in their careers.

In that sense' date=' I think it's kind of cool that he broke it up to give a piece to everyone in his team. In fact, I think it's a lot better than the driver sticking it on a shelf to collect dust as now everyone in his team has a memento of what was, for them, a really big day in their careers.

[/quote']

Maybe you didn't read my whole post....8-[

And if he wanted to give his pit crew each a piece of the guitar he would have been better off spending some of that prize money and buying each and every one of them a copy of the same guitar.... Just think how proud and greatful they would have been' date=' not to mention he would have been supporting a good company and pumping money into the economy....

There is no justification. He is a ********!!![/quote]

I read your whole post, I just don't agree with your point. 8-[

Yeah, he could have bought them all copies of the guitar but it wouldn't have been the same thing. Those wouldn't have been pieces of the actual guitar that Kyle Busch smashed after winning the big race and had everyone talking, they'd just be copies.

Opinions were pretty mixed on this at work today. Some of us felt it was not real cool , some said that it was his and he could do what he liked with it . We all agreed that the fact that poor guitar stayed intact with the impacts was a statement on how hard we work to build a good product. She took her blows with dignity!

Archived