Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Leaning (another 339)

Murph

Those who've read me know I'm just a bar gigger, but am enjoying a very good run, booked through Jan. 2010, with other stuff happening.

I've always liked the SG, one of the first Gibsons I gigged with in Clearwater Beach Fl., as a kid was an SG, and I used my '79 Walnut for many years. I owe it to my oldest son for giving me back (a trade, if you will) my '61 Melody Maker.

Anyhow, I'm going to have to drop a few K in the next 5 months, and have been torn by the "Secret" new SG, or a RED ES-339.....

Here's the deal.....

I can't play the SG anymore. I just like the 339 better. Everything about it.

I don't need a figured, I'm just gonna bang it around bars anyhow, but I think it's gonna be a red one.

Don't try to talk me out of it......

:-

You're wasting your time......

Murph.

What about a 335? Unless you're obsessed with the 339 body style (like I am with Les Pauls) why buy another?

Just my opinion, buying a red one for the sake of having a red one is a bit silly. You have a sunburst one now, right? If you do buy another 339 buy one that you like playing, not like looking at. You've seen my historic LPs, other than the gold top, they all look rather similar.

What about a 335? Unless you're obsessed with the 339 body style (like I am with Les Pauls) why buy another?

Just my opinion' date=' buying a red one for the sake of having a red one is a bit silly. You have a sunburst one now, right? If you do buy another 339 buy one that you like playing, not like looking at. You've seen my historic LPs, other than the gold top, they all look rather similar.[/quote']

It's the size, Tim.... The 335 neck is what sold me on the 339, to tell the truth. I just like the (slightly) smaller body of the 339, which is bigger than an SG, which is bigger than a Les Paul.

To me, a 335 is too big, and a Les Paul is too little.

I'm gonna sit on the fence until I see what Gibson is doing with the SG, but I'm I'm leaning real hard towards another 339, because it's just so darned comfortable to me, and sounds great, looks different, ect., ect., ect., ect.,..............

And Bobv, I LOVE the 30/60, don't want to change. That's another reason for a backup that is "exactly" like what I'm gigging, nothing changes, ya know......

Thanks to all.

Murph.

I don't know.....

I did a few years with a Tele in a Country/Southern Rock band and grew tired of single coils. I still have it though, so I guess it has a place in my heart, eh?

In the old days I'd bounce from Strat to Les Paul to SG and never think about it.

Now, I prefer consistancy in string size, and neck scale.

Best to ya.

Murph.

P90s are not a Fender single coil.

Think of them as a warm' date=' comforting punch in the face.[/quote']

Thanks Junkie.....

It reminds me of my warm, loving............

EX WIFE!

brrrrrrrrrr...................

Murph.

Archived