Gibson Brands Forums

Im horrible at changing guitar strings. Any advice?

dem00n

I don't qualify in my own head as an "expert" although I've changed a few sets of strings over the past 45 years.

One at a time... Just one at a time. Assuming the guitar is tuned to an appropriate pitch, that should cover 2/3 of the problem for you.

Secondly I've never been happy with how I end up with usually more wrap on the tuning pegs than is apparently necessary - although if you do alternative "drop" tunings it's probably better to have more than less. That's also a benefit in probably making the strings less likely to break...???

Unless... you're doing something odd when you restring you're not talking about. <grin>

m

Break them before they're even ON? Are you using Fender strings? (snort)

Seriously' date=' where are they breaking?[/quote']

Well when im trying to put them around the tuning peg they just break and im using D'addario nickelwound 10 gague.

I never break a string while putting it on.Theres alot of videos on you tube and other sites on the web showing how to do it.If you take your time and do properly there shouln't be an issue,unless you have a burr on your saddle which causes string to break.Is it same string always?

I looked at youtube and all the videos their suck and ive tried them all...hmm mabye chaning strings will take time for me.

Is it the same guage string breaking all the time ,or different ones?Could be burr on the saddle if its same one all the time.Or is it always breaking up by the tuning key?

I had a problem for a while with same string breaking always.It didn't break while changing,just didn't last long and always broke where it was in contact with the saddle.A little light filing and the burr is gone and so is the string breaking

This isn't my way of stringing now, but when I first started learning I would do this:

1. Thread string through bridge/tailpiece.

2. pull string hand-tight and wrap about 4 times around post (fewer for the fat/wound strings)

3. Thread through post hole and tighten.

4. Cut excess string after all slack is out and strings have fully tightened around post.

It's not the best way, but at least the strings shouldn't break and you can learn a better way a little later.

Also, put a drop of 3 In 1 Oil on the saddles each time. This prevents the harder metal saddle from attacking the softer metal of the string.

This isn't my way of stringing now' date=' but when I first started learning I would do this:

1. Thread string through bridge/tailpiece.

2. pull string hand-tight and wrap about 4 times around post (fewer for the fat/wound strings)

3. Thread through post hole and tighten.

4. Cut excess string after all slack is out and strings have fully tightened around post.

It's not the best way, but at least the strings shouldn't break and you can learn a better way a little later.

Also, put a drop of 3 In 1 Oil on the saddles each time. This prevents the harder metal saddle from attacking the softer metal of the string.[/quote']

Hmm thanks dude ill try that.

Also anyone ever boil their strings for 2 mins before putting them on? EVH does it and he doesnt even need to do anything to them just put them on after boiling...lol im gona try it one day.

Well when im trying to put them around the tuning peg they just break and im using D'addario nickelwound 10 gague.

ok this comment gives clues to what you may be doing wrong.

When you wrap them around the peg they don't have to be pulled super tight nor tied/knotted there.

1. run the string thru the peg hole but leave some slack in the string as you need to make at least 1, but preferably 2 or 3 turns to let the slack turn around the post.

a. After you run the string thru the post take the extra end and gently wrap it around the post once.

2. If you are using a string winder, you can go fast until the slack is taken up then go slow or even by hand.

What should be holding the string in place is not the first wrapping of the extra end around the post. Instead it should be the multiple wraps from the slack.

Archived