Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird... Twisted Neck

DPhillips

Okay, figure the guitar is pretty much screwed. The neck is twisting, beyond too much to correct through any method I'm aware of to correct. I spoke to Gibson a few years ago about trying to fix this, but I was given little hope. I'm thinking of cutting the neck out, routing out a joint similar to the Les Paul long tenon, and making a neck for it. Figure if I do this, I'll keep to LP scale and try to balance the guitar a little better. No FB player amongst us loves the FB because of it's balance...

Does anyone know of any different way to make this guitar salvagable? Does anyone believe my idea will work? Anything else should/could be done?

This is an 80's era reissue. It is in wonderful condition otherwise and sounds fantabulous... I'd love to rehab and make it playable again.

Thanks...

Use it for slide?

Seriously, I would think that even the most involved method of fixing the twist would be less complicated than removing the neck entirely.

I'm not a luthier, but I would think that the first thing would be a neck press to remove as much of the twist as possible. Then you could plane the fingerboard to fix the remaining twist. This would require removing the frets, but since the twist is only on the section of the neck clear of the body, it would probably only involve the first 10 or 12.

This would require a luthier, not the guy at the local GC who does intonation an installs the odd pickup.

GJ,

Thanks for the reply. From the only 2 luthiers that I'm aware of in Alaska and the Gibson repair shop, I don't think the press is gonna work on this twist rate. One of our two local luthier's is pretty skookum, building acoustic archtops for concert consumption outside. He's the one that said he wouldn't try it (after examining the guitar). The other fellow, who's much like a guitar mechanic, said he could try, but wouldn't guarantee the result. Gibson repair said I was screwed...

Suppose it couldn't hurt to try, well, other than my bank account... Do you have someone you would definitely trust to make it right?

Thanks, again...

I find it hard to believe that Gibson Repair can do this...

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/RepairAndRestoration/Repair%20Stories/Repairing%20What%20Katrina%20Destroy/

and this...

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/RepairAndRestoration/Repair%20Stories/how%2Da%2Drestored%2D62%2D512/

but can't repair a simple neck twist, no matter how bad it is.

I see you mentioned that you "spoke to Gibson a few years ago". Maybe the person you talked to wasn't the right guy to make the call on what they can or can't do.

There's a different number for the repair shop. You can reach them at 615.244.0252 or e-mail them at repairrequest@gibson.com.

Good luck

Steam. Steam is your Fix.

Steam it the Right Way and you Can Twist it

or Untwist it.

If it Twisted, Steam will up Twist-it.

They Do it For Building Wooden Boats.

If You Build a Jig that you can Clamp Down on/Tighten-up

Then Steam it you can Fix it without Cutting it up

Junkie,

That's a stupid gorgeous cardinal bird you have there... My congrats...

Yeah, steam and press is the usual method for untwisting necks. When I first started inquiring, evidently luthiers weren't as confident in the practice, or themselves (not sure which), as seems now. I will contact Gibson's repair shop again tomorrow.

Thanks all.

I have a friend who had an LP with a neck break that went into the 2nd fret. Many would consider this unrepairable. Then my friend got in touch with Dan Erlewine, who said he had a broken off neck that he could use to make a graft on neck, keeping as much of the original neck as possible. You might want to contact him to see if he has someone he can recommend. He's one of the best, if not THE best in the business.

anyway... do you have any pictures that show the twist? I'm not seeing it really.

I have a friend who had an LP with a neck break that went into the 2nd fret. Many would consider this unrepairable. Then my friend got in touch with Dan Erlewine' date=' who said he had a broken off neck that he could use to make a graft on neck, keeping as much of the original neck as possible. You might want to contact him to see if he has someone he can recommend. He's one of the best, if not THE best in the business.

anyway... do you have any pictures that show the twist? I'm not seeing it really.[/quote']

I haven't taken any pictures. I'll try to post some this week.

Thanks for the info.

Okay' date=' figure the guitar is pretty much screwed. The neck is twisting, beyond too much to correct through any method I'm aware of to correct. I spoke to Gibson a few years ago about trying to fix this, but I was given little hope. I'm thinking of cutting the neck out, routing out a joint similar to the Les Paul long tenon, and making a neck for it. Figure if I do this, I'll keep to LP scale and try to balance the guitar a little better. No FB player amongst us loves the FB because of it's balance...

Does anyone know of any different way to make this guitar salvagable? Does anyone believe my idea will work? Anything else should/could be done?

This is an 80's era reissue. It is in wonderful condition otherwise and sounds fantabulous... I'd love to rehab and make it playable again.

Thanks...[/quote']

I'm a Luthier of over 24 years.

Without seeing the guitar, I find it hard to think that it couldn't be repaired with some combination of heat set/fingerboard planning/refret...

that would be my opinion. I've never even seen a guitar with a warped neck. Hearing about one that has a neck so warped it can't be fixed... unlikely. I mean i've read dan erlewine's book and he's managed to repair a guitar that spend a day sitting in the water. The question is will the cost of fixing the guitar be worth it.

also... don't the firebirds have laminated neck through necks? I thought the multipiece necks were supposed to be close to impossible to warp?

Archived