Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Covers

GIANTRobOT420

Any Pickup Sounds Hotter Without a Cover and it Gives-ya an Edge and Some Covers of the Wrong Material

will Kill The Sound. Jimmy Page/ Eric Clapton and Many others a Long, Long Time Ago

All Noticed and a Sound Difference For The Better When Removing the Covers off of Their

Gibson Guitars and Are Quoted As Saying Such, Like to Gibson for one.

Alot of Gibson Guitars are Produced and Sold with Uncovered Pickups Just Because of

What Alot of our Old Guitar Gods Felt about Removing The Covers off of Their Old Gibsons

Back in the Day.

I Don't Get it. It's Always Been a 50-50 Split on Whether or Not it Makes a Difference.

I Have Always Heard a Difference and Many Have Not and it's a Good Way to Tame

The 500T or Any Ceramic or Change or Alter the Sound of Any Guitar.

There are lotsa esoteric cork-sniffers who can eloquently describe the most subtle nuance achieved with such a minor modification, and discuss endlessly the the pros, cons, advantages, discord and ramnifications of each.

Bullsh!t.

It may make a bit of difference to some people, I've never heard it.

My pickups will be covered for a number of reasons, cosmetics being only one.

No difference, I know from personal experience.

The reason a lot of guys used to take them off in the old days is that when you take the pickup cover off and then sink the screws as flush with the pickup then you can place the pickup closer to the strings and hence a little more output, too much trouble for nothing IMO.

Back in the day, covers came off for a reason - repair.

Couldn't just buy a new humbucker in any little podunk town, so you had to make 'em work.

The pickup was likely installed in the guitar to see how it operated after the repair and the pickup cover was left off until it was sure to work with no troubles. If it works - don't fxck with it!

To remove it just to solder the cover back on was a pain.

Additionally, soldering the cover on again meant heat applied to the pickup.

If it's already barely working, why take a chance on killing it for good?

Some kid somewhere saw them uncovered, did it on his own guitar and a fad was born.

My Dad had the hubcaps off his old Chevy in 1968, I got his screwdriver and popped them off my little pedal car.

Hey, if HIS car looked cool....

(True story)

No difference' date=' I know from personal experience.

The reason a lot of guys used to take them off in the old days is that when you take the pickup cover off and then sink the screws as flush with the pickup then you can place the pickup closer to the strings and hence a little more output, too much trouble for nothing IMO.[/quote']

Damn that's a Good Point

Archived