Gibson Brands Forums

Humidipak

Bluemoon

I just noticed that Planet Waves just re-released the Humidipaks...new and improved. The first generation were a complete disaster. I guess they leaked.

I like the idea of Humidipak. Though, do you really need them for a solid body? I live in Chicago and our winters are pretty dry. Last winter I ran a humidifier in the room in which I stored the guitar...but it was a pain.

What do you guys think? I see no reason not to put them in my case this winter to maintain a constant level of humidity.

http://www.planetwaves.com/PWHumidity.Page

Thoughts?

Pass.

My guitars hang on the wall, in my World, or they travel with me, in my World.

I don't trust Planet Waves. Or anybody else.

I'll breath the same air, and feel the same heat they do. Mine are NEVER packed away in a case unless they are travelling.

Just me.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Pass.

My guitars hang on the wall' date=' in my World, or they travel with me, in my World.

I don't trust Planet Waves. Or anybody else.

I'll breath the same air, and feel the same heat they do. Mine are NEVER packed away in a case unless they are travelling.

Just me.

Best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

Well, I got to go to work. So they sit in the case all day. They usually get played an hour or so a day. No way they are hanging on the wall--three kids under the age of 3 in my house.

Even though I'm in the AZ desert, I'm sure I don't see the dryness you do in the winter.

Add that to the tremendous heater use and I'm sure your humidity could dip into single digits with ease.

Honestly, BM, I try to keep my whole house humid enough to not worry.

We rarely use exhaust fans when cooking or bathing, instead I run the air handler fan on our air conditioning to distribute the moisture throughout the house. If you have the same capability, consider that for starters.

You'd be surprised how much moisture you suck out of a house...

I have a humidifier set at 40% and it only runs a few months in the winter and spring.

It's always on, just not needed that much - even in the desert.

One caveat, I rarely open any windows except in the winter when temps drop into the 40's-50's at night.

Any cooler than that is way too dry here anyway.

I don't think a solid body is that susceptible to damage due to humidity unless it's prolonged and severe.

Additionally, I ain't putting anything wet in the case with my guitars.

With a cheap digital agrometer or humidity indicator, you can easily keep your place above 35% and you're good.

Even though I'm in the AZ desert' date=' I'm sure I don't see the dryness you do in the winter.

Add that to the tremendous heater use and I'm sure your humidity could dip into single digits with ease.

Honestly, BM, I try to keep my whole house humid enough to not worry.

We rarely use exhaust fans when cooking or bathing, instead I run the air handler fan on our air conditioning to distribute the moisture throughout the house. If you have the same capability, consider that for starters.

You'd be surprised how much moisture you suck out of a house...

I have a humidifier set at 40% and it only runs a few months in the winter and spring.

It's always on, just not needed that much - even in the desert.

One caveat, I rarely open any windows except in the winter when temps drop into the 40's-50's at night.

Any cooler than that is way too dry here anyway.

I don't think a solid body is that susceptible to damage due to humidity unless it's prolonged and severe.

Additionally, I ain't putting anything wet in the case with my guitars.

With a cheap digital agrometer or humidity indicator, you can easily keep your place above 35% and you're good.

[/quote']

I have to work at it to keep it around 35....basically running a standalone humidifier in my bedroom all day long. We have a humidifier attached to our furnace, which helps...but it is a constant battle in the winter.

Summers here are no problem. Winters can get a bit dry but I have a humidifier hooked up to the forced air heating system. Even though I don't think I have much of a humidity problem, I've been using Humidipaks for the Taylor. I did not have any leakage problems associated with the previous ones. They sent me the new ones for free a few weeks ago. So far so good. If Bob Taylor uses them, then that's good enough for me. I'm not saying you need them, but they are pretty mindless to use and I do believe they do what they are built to do.

Taylor's website has some real good information on humidity. Check it out a bunch here.

Personally, I would avoid the Humidipak, which was recalled twice IIRC, both times for leakage, after many reports of damage. There are many other humidifiers out there, including simple homemade ones that are just as effective and won't harm your instrument or case.

If you've got <70% or >30% humidity in your house for any length of time, you should do something about it, esp. if you've got acoustics.

Archived