Gibson Brands Forums

It was bound to happen....

TommyK

I'm minding my own business, negotiating a smalll rural village this past weekend, when all of a sudden she blows right through a stop sign. I saw her coming, and braked just in case. Good thing too, she nearly hits me. She made a last minute, single handed correction and narrowly misses my left front quarter panel. She didn't bat an eye, or even wince. Never even dropped the cell phone glued to her ear. I judged her to be between 9 and 12 years old. Her vehicle of choice... a bicycle. :)

I saw a guy almost get run over on a bicycle when I was walking home from school last. A couple of seniors sped through a stop sign and would've hit the guy. Had he not been as aware of the situation or as skilled with the bike he would be in the hospital. He escaped without a scrath thankfully.

In Chicago it is supposed to be illegal to talk on your cell while driving. Just wish they would enforce it. Cannot tell you how many times I have seen some a-hole move by a jerk on their cell. Worst is that princess in an SUV yapping on her cell phone who makes a right turn and nearly runs you down (Yes, you have to yield to pedestrians when making a right turn against a red). Although the majority of these people tend to cause more accidents than they get into.

A lot of cyclists are just as bad. I love bicycles and think they are a great way to get around the city, but you have to obey the same traffic laws as cars and STAY OFF THE SIDEWALK.

Driving while talking on the phone, texting, or reading a book (I've seen that) should be grounds for immediate and permanent revocation of the driver's license.

My insurance company says that talking on the phone while driving is worse than driving drunk - it actually causes more accidents.

And remember those Mothers Against Drunk Drivers who lobbied to get the DUI penalties steeper? Where are they now? They are driving around with a cell phone glued to their ears.

'nuff said.

Insights and incites by Notes

People are oblivious to the possible consequences of texting (of all things.... it takes 3 times longer to text than to talk) while driving.

also it has been shown to increase your chances of a crash by far over 300%.

people are just stupid sometimes.

Archived