Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Explorer

fortcon

Hey guys, I found a used '84 Explorer on Craigslist for $840. I'm kind of skeptical about the price, because for a semi-classic guitar, this seems a little low. Should I be concerned about buying a fake? If so, what should I be looking for to key me off that it isn't real?

I went and saw it today, and due to an oversight I made, I put money down on it and am coming back to pick it up next weekend. I feel like I'm rescuing a beaten dog from an abusive home. Everything essential is in good condition: neck joint is in good condition, hardware was good, there was a screw missing in the saddle for the neck pickup, easily replaced; frets are worn, but no dead spots that I found. The paint is starting to crack, this guy didn't do much in the way of keeping it conditioned. Even though there was some damage, but he wasn't being argued down from the price, which, it sounds like he overestimated its worth. He was talking like it was worth $1000, but at least he was somewhat realistic. No Gibson deserves that treatment. It's like Animal Rescue, VH1 should have instrument rescue. I felt a connection to it, and decided I had to possess it and fix it.

It's like I bought an aged Explorer, if you want the optimistic side of it.

It plays really well, except these stupid ****ing strings the guy has on 'em. There pretty nice, but they're stainless and there's nothing for my fingers to grip to, they just slip out. I don't know if this guy was doing too much soloing, and the action was a little lower than I'd like it. That stuff can be fixed with scissors, a wrench and some Regular Slinkies (what can't they solve). I'm excited to pick it up! I'll post pictures once I have time to get a camera on it.

Archived