Gibson Brands Forums

The philosophy thread

DAS44

Kinda marxist man... what with the dictatorship or the proletariat.

Dom' date=' you gotta read and understand a little more of that Google search stuff before you post it....

Marxist? What the hell are you talking about?

Portugal Right to the west of spain!

Google is your savior.

brazilians speak portugese..... I forget whan that revolution happened.

No revolution.

They simply moved in and took over.

Portugal became weaker and had less influence as years passed, Brazil did their own thing again.

Check out this cartoon. It was made 50 years ago but very relevant today.

Never seen that particular one before.

VERY profound.

Wonder how many people here will 'waste' 10 minutes and actually watch the whole thing.

That's as close to the truth as you're gonna get, forget the television.

I didnt google anything

I knew where portugal was I thought there was a rv. in brazil

and Marx believed that there were 5 stages that civilization went through each ending in a revolution after which a dictatorship would be established called the dictatorship of the proletariat then move to the next stage and eventually leading to marxism.

Well, you're onto something there, but you're forgetting the starting point.

The idea behind our little American Experiment had yet to be put to work when Tytler wrote that.

Thus, the irony of how true it still is when nobody thought that a USA was even possible.

It's never been done before ya know....

Looking at the verse below, Marxism would be nothing like that.

Bondage to spiritual faith;

From spiritual faith to great courage;

From great courage to liberty;

From liberty to abundance;

From abundance to selfishness;

From selfishness to complacency;

From complacency to apathy;

From apathy to dependence;

From dependency back again to bondage.

Marxism basically substitutes resignation and surrender for complacency.

People know they have no choice in their future so they do what they're told to avoid being killed.

This leads to quiet obedience.

Might be likened to apathy, they're afraid to speak out so it seems they don't care.

Dependency becomes survival;

If you save money you will be jailed. If you horde food, you'll be killed.

If you take anything you shouldn't, your fellow man is thereby suffering and you're a traitor to the cause.

You must get EVERYTHING you have from the State, as they deem it necessary.

From dependency to bondage is taken in one short step, probably before you even realize it.

The trick here is when you compare the two in ideological terms, this is the first time our government has actually embraced this sh!t from the top down. Surrender a single right, of any kind, to these *** holes now and it begins.

I think Matt S. largely has it right in that Anglophones and those with the mixture of traditions of the British Isles are rather used to being, if not top dog, at least in the hunt.

My concern is that the traditions and culture that made this general society so alive are being lost into the culture of the rest of the world that assumes "somebody" is the chief and the rest of everyone has to follow the bureaucracy.

Some may consider it jingoistic, but I'd seriously recommend reading Churchill's "History of the English-Speaking Peoples."

A dynamic between the modicum of security and lack of incentive to be more than we are, and the incentives inherent in being "free men" in the Anglophone concept brought a lively body politic that today seems to have fallen into a condition of entropy. "We" look not to opportunity, but to security as have other growing cultures that lost their way.

Sad. The problem is the youngest folks on this forum, for example, haven't had the opportunity to consider the traditions that brought the Anglophone world the greatest degree of living standards - nor to consider how contrary traditions are destroying it.

Politics? No, it's culture.

When a culture becomes so self-punishing as opposed to self-correcting as it seems "ours" has become, we have some problems.

That's not just the U.S. The U.K. beat us to it; Australia, New Zealand, Canada... we're all in this "Anglophone" thing together.

It's not a matter of "immigrants" destroying the general Anglophone shared culture, it's a problem that we're often telling them they shouldn't really enter the larger culture even as they enjoy the benefits. That leads to lack of truly shared culture and lack of the drive to survive as a growing culture.

I know there are those who will accuse me of being ethnocentric, but that's not it at all. It's a matter of considering whence we came and working to continue what brought greatness, being accepting of what's valuable of the new in terms of arts, and feeling it's a matter of "we" that includes all who accept the cultural imperatives.

Ah, well. A healthy and growing culture offers opportunity to gain status to each individual. It accepts arts from people of other cultures even as they should be absorbed into the general cultural tradition of the mainstream.

Our music benefits from cultural blending; the dynamic of absorption into the mainstream adds strength even as it requires an acceptance of the basic tenets of the mainstream.

But... heck. We'll see. I just hate seeing U.S., UK and Oz politicians constantly apologizing for the very cultural imperatives that brought us where we were some decades ago - as in prior to 1968.

No musician can perform without a bit of ego and belief in himself or herself; neither can a nation or culture. We Anglophones seem to have lost that.

m

My signature has one of my all time favorite quotes, from Rage Against The Machine's song "Settle for Nothing".

"If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face." I don't know if that quote was made by the band, or if they're quoting someone else.

The rest of the quotes I live by are too political for this site.

The American Flag is displayed incorrectly on the wall of the classroom in that cartoon at 1:13 in' date=' whenever the Flag is displayed hanging

down like that, the blue background and stars are always on the left.[/quote']

Well I'm glad somebody got something out of it. sheeeesh!

During the late 70's I lived in San Diego, there was a religious group in the area whose members had a bumper sticker that was yellow with black print that said

"I Found It"

After going to a meeting, I picked up my bumper sticker then I went to a print shop and had another bumper sticker printed (black print on yellow back ground). I went home and mounted the one they gave me at the meeting on the left rear bumper and the one I had printed on the right rear bumper so that when you were behind my truck the two would read (left to right)

"I Found It" - "Now My Finger Stinks!"

DO I HEAR A AMEN?

During the late 70's I lived in San Diego' date=' there was a religious group in the area whose members had a bumper sticker that was yellow with black print that said

"I Found It"

After going to a meeting, I picked up my bumper sticker then I went to a print shop and had another bumper sticker printed (black print on yellow back ground). I went home and mounted the one they gave me at the meeting on the left rear bumper and the one I had printed on the right rear bumper so that when you were behind my truck the two would read (left to right)

"I Found It" - "Now My Finger Stinks!"

DO I HEAR A AMEN?[/quote']

AAAAA-MEN and HAVE MERCY!

I saw some pretty good ones on I-5 today. One of 'em was a mock up of a hunting license that said, "US Licensed to Hunt Terrorists."

And, as far as quotes go, my personal favorite is one from my old man. We were sitting at a crosswalk, letting a cute girl cross the street. He looked at me and told me, "remember, you never run over the cute ones."

Archived