Gibson Brands Forums

Tube amp for home use

Bluemoon

I would totally agree on some of the comments here in reference the Epiphone Valve Jr. I have one that has been lightly modded with new tubes etc. but still has much of the stock sound and I love it. Sitting on top of it is a Nano Amp from Z.Vex if you have never heard of them it's advertised as the world's smallest all tube amp rated at 1/2 watt it's amazing and a blast to use and not much bigger than a pedal. I push it through either the Epi cabinet a 1x12, a Marshall classic 1x12 or even my 4x12 Marshall and it sound great through all of them.

As you can probably tel I'm a big fan of the fractional tube Amps. I have also orderred the Killer Ant from BlackHeart and am looking forward to trying it when the start shipping and the 1x10 should be a cool little cabinet.

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epis are great values, no doubt. I wish Gibson would step it up with their amp offerings. There is life beyond Marshalls... and Fenders, but not much unless you go boutique... Gibson could fill a void here. Epi's already are.

Epis are great values' date=' no doubt. I wish Gibson would step it up with their amp offerings. There is life beyond Marshalls... and Fenders, but not much unless you go boutique... Gibson could fill a void here. Epi's already are.[/quote']

Don't forget Soldano...but then we're talking about a lot more horsepower.

Gibson could definitely fill a void in the small amp space for sure!

What do you guys think is the best bet between the following

Valve Junior (8 inch speaker)

Fender Champion 600 (6 inch speaker)

Crate V Series V5 Tube Amp (10 inch speaker)

Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 (8 inch speaker)

This amp will never leave my basement. I play mostly classic rock--nothing to heavy--and blues. I also can't go up too loud (three young kids).

What do you guys think is the best bet between the following

Valve Junior (8 inch speaker)

Fender Champion 600 (6 inch speaker)

Crate V Series V5 Tube Amp (10 inch speaker)

Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 (8 inch speaker)

This amp will never leave my basement. I play mostly classic rock--nothing to heavy--and blues. I also can't go up too loud (three young kids).

The valve junior is hard to beat for the money. You can mod it and even hook it up to another cab. BUT . . . . the Blackheart combo BLOWS IT AWAY! I have both' date=' I know. [/size'] Here is a blem at MF for 243.00 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675X

Look at a Kustom Tube also. It is technically a hybrid (12AZ7 pre amp tube, solid state power amp), but it has great tube breakup tone . The best part is you get a Celestion speaker and it's only $100.00 at Musicians Friend!

The Epi VJ cabinet has a 12" Eminence speaker and sounds very good.

Archived