Gibson Brands Forums

Tube amp for home use

Bluemoon

Man this AMP kicks ***' date=' and you can wear it on your strap...!!!! and its a Marshall.......

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAR-MS2-LIST[/quote']

I actually have this and the MS4 full stack. They are cute.

Edit*** just re-read my original postand decided most of it was drivel. How much is spending a ton? $699 for a Krank Rev Jr. 1/2 stack is a ton of cash to some.... $129.00 for a Marshall MG 15 amp is a ton to others..... I don't know of any "cheap" tube amps....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like the fender blues jr or the peavey classic 30

There you go! Two excellent recommendations right there for bang for the buck! And resale down the road won't hurt you either when and if you choose to move to another amp....

The Blackheart has been stated but Epiphone Valve Junior also stated in this post for $139usd; its also "all tube".

the marshall microstacks are not tube amps :)

Good suggestion. I have a Valve Junior head with Marshall MC 212 cab' date=' as well as a Blackheart combo. For the extra change, I'd pony up for a Blackheart head cuz it has the EQ (bass, low, mid). Aside from that, they are the same amp (same guts). I like them both[/size']

I just bought a Fender Blues Jr. Traded in my Fender FM212R.

Only two hours in but sounds killer so far!

The only thing I find odd about it so far is there's no stand-by switch. I haven't tried that many, but every tube amp I plugged into has had one. =;

I just got a Valve Junior today and it is AWESOME! it really lets the tone of the guitar shine through and the overdrive is really nice (think bluesy Hendrix or SRV) if you want to get the full distortion you should get an attenuator though' date=' it's loud! Weber attenuators are good and pretty much the cheapest ones, here's their site

It seems many people who try them end up buying them. Based on the opions of so many I have seen and heard, they're probably great values!

It seems many people who try them end up buying them. Based on the opions of so many I have seen and heard' date=' they're probably great values![/quote']

They are a good deal. Like I said earlier, I have the Blackheart BH5 combo and the valve junior head. Blackheart head is 40-50 bucks more. BUT . . . you get the EQ tone adjustment and a 3/5 watt switch. If I could do it over, I would have the Blackheart head instead of my Epi' head.

The Blackheart/VJ and all of their clones are really good value since you couldn't even buy the parts (cab and tolex included) for the price they're sold at.. and if you want an all tube amp..

you build it Kits and other tube amp's are more than $500.

SS amps do more, the tube amps sound great.. As for the VJ.. most guys mod them to have tone stack anyways; you might as well start of with most of the mod's done with the Blackheart in the first place.

I suppose there are SO many choice and only so much opportunity to do a personal comparison. Many magazine reviews seem to ail down the amps pretty good on what they do and don't do good and that's a help.

Back to the original point of a home amp, SS amps can be good for home too. I'm just a tube guy, but the hybrids can be a good solution too. Again, so many choices makes it hard to say one is the best solution.

I just bought a Fender Blues Jr. Traded in my Fender FM212R.

Only two hours in but sounds killer so far!

The only thing I find odd about it so far is there's no stand-by switch. I haven't tried that many' date=' but every tube amp I plugged into has had one. O:) [/quote']

FBJr is one of those amps that you never want to get rid of once you have it! Great choice!

That Blackheart Killer Ant looks promising at a bit less than 1 watt, you should be able to get some great break up at apartment levels. It should be out now. Would probably need the bigger one for a band practice though.

That Blackheart Killer Ant looks promising at a bit less than 1 watt' date=' you should be able to get some great break up at apartment levels. It should be out now. Would probably need the bigger one for a band practice though.[/quote']

I like to try Vintage amps, but the risk is these things can actually kill you if someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing screwed around with it. The blackhearts seem nice.

How about the Little Lanilei 33/50LT from Songworks. A REAL Hybrid amp, PTP wired in the U.S.A., about the same size as a Roland Micro-Cube yet at 33watts!!!! The little amps 12au7 and 12ax7 tubes are actually operating as a power amp(at a mere 1/4 watt) . It is sent to a load resistor (or soak) then to the power stage.You can go 3-5 years with out worrying about any tube replacement. Even slight wall voltage imperfections will not effect the tonality. It is like a mic'd tube amp thru a P.A. system, but without the P.A. system. It can even power up to two 4x12 cabs! I need this amp!!!!!! Check out the link!!

www.songworks.com

This is a shameless plug and no I am not being paid to endorse this...but for the BEST TONE at a lower volume (lower wattage amp) CONTACT randy@bemisamps.com. He guts epiphone valve juniors and mods the heck out of them. My buddy bought one from him a few months ago and brought it over to jam and I was really blown away. I got myself on the waiting list and should have mine soon. There is a waiting list usually and he will even customize for the kind of tone you want.

This is a boutique low wattage amp at a very reasonable price (actually I think stupidly low given how much work he puts into these).

Archived