Gibson Brands Forums

Question for GillianGirl

music4love

You know, I've got 4 straps sitting around here collecting dust. I went to the trouble of having strap buttons installed on the guitars and I never use the straps. When I do take the time to put them on, I play better. I'm not struggling to grip the guitar with my arms/knees/etc. My problem is I'm impulsive!

You could be right about the other thing. Like I said, I feel like I can't get control of this neck, and I may default to speeding up my playing in an attempt to get a grip on it, so to speak. Plus, I think I have this weird fear of silence when I play..... like I have to fill in the spaces all the time. So that definitely fits. I remember someone on the AGF a looonnng time ago saying something about the spaces (when there's no guitar) are as important as the guitar sound, if that makes sense. Definitely an area I need to work on. I'll try paying more attention to that. Thanks Jon!

The problem with spaces is that some instruments fill them more readily than others. Why some folks like RW=oozing sustain. Maple, as noted, decacys quick, so you you have to deal with that (I used to have a similar problem with Strats). Anyway, to get the best out of it, make sure to pick the note clean and make a clean release. A Kottke story, he was talking with another about trying to slow down, he was told to practice his releases--to be aware of lifting the fretting fingers cleanly before moving on.

The problem with spaces is that some instruments fill them more readily than others. Why some folks like RW=oozing sustain. Maple' date=' as noted, decacys quick, so you you have to deal with that (I used to have a similar problem with Strats). Anyway, to get the best out of it, make sure to pick the note clean and make a clean release. A Kottke story, he was talking with another about trying to slow down, he was told to practice his releases--to be aware of lifting the fretting fingers cleanly before moving on. [/quote']

The ex, who is a guitar player/teacher, always criticizes my hammers! He says I need to let my hammers last longer and ring longer! I know he's right but I just don't like him being right haha. I am struggling with this guitar..... it creates other challenges for me that I don't have with Magic.

I was hoping this thread would quickly drop over to page 2 [biggrin]

Jon, you have a pm

Hey Karen - just to tell you (in lieu of your post #30).....

This did make it to page 2 - thought you'ld like to know.

DOH!

Okay *G U E S T*' date=' you're officially on my hit list now :-({|= (think mafia when you see the violin) [biggrin

Archived