Gibson Brands Forums

SG pickups change

drizzt

Hi guys - I want to continue this thread since its gone forever - for me it is not finished.

I plan to change the 490R/498T pickups on my SG Standard to Seymour Duncans - Alnico II for the neck and Pearly Gates for the bridge. What's your opinion?

Will it make the sound a little fatter and more bluesy?

(the other option is Gibson Classic '57 neck and '57 Plus for the bridge, but I am really leaning towards the SD pickups - I think they will sound fatter and rounder).

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys - I want to continue this thread since its gone forever

i know this is off topic, but they might be lost forever THROUGH gibsons forums, BUT if you google the threads name, on images, then you get it!! i google imaged '68 SG standard, because i was trying to see the guitar that neogeoriffic, posted, and the first link was that thread!, so thats probably the way to get it back, but it may only work if there was an image posted. sorry for the diversion man, but hope it helps ya resurect it:-$ heres proof http://images.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1T4HPEA_en-GBGB310GB310&hl=en&source=hp&q=%2768+SG+standard&gbv=2&aq=f&oq= (first pic i believe (as of posting))

I've given thought to buying a Classic SG(for a finish besides red or black) and putting Standard pups in it. Of course, raising the bridge pickup...etc. You get the idea.

I'm not sure if/when you decide to buy different pickups, but if they're in good condition maybe I could buy them off ya. On the other hand, I don't see how you couldn't get a good bluesy sound out of the Standard pickups. I've heard those 57's were pretty good for fatter tones...I dunno. Don't take my elemtary advice.

Archived